German Bulldog knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Targetman

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Targetman »

Hey guys, sorry for the long break in pictures of my Bulldogs. I can't believe it's been 6 months since I last posted. I have another grandson and my wife and I couldn't be happier!. I will try to post some more pictures of German Bulldogs and USA Bulldogs. Blessings to everyone this new year and to many purchases of Bulldogs!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Targetman wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:28 am Hey guys, sorry for the long break in pictures of my Bulldogs. I can't believe it's been 6 months since I last posted. I have another grandson and my wife and I couldn't be happier!. I will try to post some more pictures of German Bulldogs and USA Bulldogs. Blessings to everyone this new year and to many purchases of Bulldogs!
Good to see you back, I wondered about you the other day in that I hadn't seen your post for a while. congratulations on the new grandson. ::nod:: ::handshake::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I am particularly looking forward to your photos of the USA Bulldogs.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Targetman wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:28 am Hey guys, sorry for the long break in pictures of my Bulldogs. I can't believe it's been 6 months since I last posted. I have another grandson and my wife and I couldn't be happier!. I will try to post some more pictures of German Bulldogs and USA Bulldogs. Blessings to everyone this new year and to many purchases of Bulldogs!
I’ve been wondering where you went off to. Glad you are back, hope to see some more of your great collection.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Bulldog Scout
Attachments
Bulldog Scout.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

You have a very fine looking BD Scout. Only you can judge with the knife in hand, but it looks to me like an exceptionally high quality knife.
Congrats.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Vit not only are your Camillus knives wonderful that Bulldog is top notch as well. ::tu:: ::tu::
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:59 pm You have a very fine looking BD Scout. Only you can judge with the knife in hand, but it looks to me like an exceptionally high quality knife.
Congrats.
Thanks. This is really a high quality knife at the level of GEC or S&M ::nod:: .
P.S. Do you have anything to do with AG Russell?
doglegg wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:22 pm Vit not only are your Camillus knives wonderful that Bulldog is top notch as well. ::tu:: ::tu::
I have many Camillus knives, and there is only one Bulldog Brand. So I bought what I liked best :mrgreen: .
quietly: Watch the Winchester forum. I posted several knives there and a few more are waiting in line 8) .
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Vit, I have no connection with AG Russell, other than being a great admirer of him and his contribution to our love of knives. His catalog opened me to the world of cutlery. RIP.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi again, first I would like to say many blessings to our Doctors, nurses, and first responders as our nation battles this Covid19 virus. I have been sheltering in place since mid March and am looking forward to seeing our nation come out of this pandemic stronger than before.
I will continue showing a few of my German made Bulldogs in my collection. Below is a set of four Calf Roper single blade lockbacks. These were 4 3/8 inches closed and made in 1996. The blades have the reverse frosted etch and the frame is of the long bolster kind.
The handles have AAA-1 grade pearl that have been scrimshawed in 4 different handle colors of green, red, black and blue.
I have not seen an official quantity that was made of this variation, but in Jim Parkers 1997 Dealer catalog he says that only 12 each are available. He also said there were plain blades available along with the etched blades. I personally have not seen any plain blades with the color scrimshaw pearl handles. If anyone has one, please post a picture.
Attachments
0512200902.jpg
0512200902.jpg
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Forgot to show opened.
Attachments
0512200905-1.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

You have a very nice set Targetman. The MOP looks to be the usual excellent Bulldog quality.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Sweet set Targetman. ::nod:: ::tu::
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hey guys, a couple more german Bulldogs. These are 3 1/8 inch Bulldog executive champions with surgical steel blades. They have 6 blades including nail file, scissors, and bottle opener. The master blade is reverse etched with the standing dog logo. The first one is AAA-1 Mother of pearl and the second is ivory celluloid.
Attachments
0512200932.jpg
0512200911-1.jpg
0512200912a.jpg
0512200923_HDR-1.jpg
0512200919-1.jpg
0512200919a-1.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That first knife, MOP, gets a big WOW! from me. If the F&F are the usual BD excellence then you have yourself a real gem.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Targetman wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:55 am Hi Quick Steel, I started on my Bulldog Brand quest when I was 40 years old and am now age 64. Twenty four years of absolute enjoyment have passed but I still get the same thrill,now as back then, when I add a new piece to my collection. Yes, I have given some thought about what may happen to my collection at some future date. I likely will not have an heir to leave the knives to that will appreciate what I have enjoyed doing all these years. My grandson is only 21 months old and I can only hope to spark some future interest in knife collecting. Time will tell.
You mention a museum....I sadly see what has happened to the National Knife Collectors Museum. It used to be located in the upper level of the Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Tennessee. Beautiful examples of custom and factory knives on display...some one of a kind masterpieces. Now all gone, shut down, knives sold and auctioned off to pay for expenses, donated knives many years ago now lost for the public to see....now in private collections. This greatly saddens me as I visited this museum many times for several years.
I will probably get to some future point in time and reluctantly start selling off my collection piece by piece. But I will have the satisfaction knowing that each piece will go to some knife collector trying to build up a collection he or she can be proud of...one piece at a time.
::not_worthy::
Awestruck
::handshake::

I'd be ever grateful if you would consider my home for some of your Bulldogs too. Thank you for sharing the tedious work you have done collecting such beautiful knives, I appreciate it. ::tu::
Attachments
20200618_164449_HDR.jpg
20200618_164413_HDR.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I look at your beautiful BDs, and at mine, and at Targetman's, and I marvel that more knifers are not in pursuit of these marvelous knives.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:26 pm I look at your beautiful BDs, and at mine, and at Targetman's, and I marvel that more knifers are not in pursuit of these marvelous knives.
More for us! ::sotb::

I don't buy other vintage knives because I haven't taken the time to learn and know enough about them. If I did, maybe I'd feel comfortable buying some.
Attachments
20200814_175506.jpg
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Quick Steel, your comment about not many people collecting Bulldog Brand knives rings true with me also. I surmise that only the generations that actively saw Bulldogs being produced and crafted can appreciate what collections they have.
Jim Parker made so few limited runs of his patterns and handle materials that if you weren't there to purchase them when they arrived from Germany....well you were just out of luck! Knife runs of 24, 36, 50, 100 pieces just don't go very far to knife collectors worldwide.
With Bulldog being a private brand knife you don't get the exposure as you do with companies like Case or Buck knives who make their knife patterns by the thousands in each handle material. If it wasn't for Jim Parker promoting his brand like he did and his son "Buzz" Parker with American made Bulldogs, I don't think you would see Bulldogs being collected as much as they are now. From 1978 to 2010 isn't many years to get an established collector base that spans many generations and creates demand for knife variations.
I think what demand there is for Bulldog Brand comes mainly from collectors that were established during the years Jim Parker actively made and promoted his brand. EBay still has strong sales with values remaining high for Bulldogs because for #1- excellent quality product, and #2- collectors that missed out getting pieces from Jim before they were all sold, now have to buy from knife shows, auctions, and forum stores and they are only available a piece or two at a time. Even with only a few thousand Bulldog collectors around it makes for an interesting bidding situation when a desirable piece comes up for bid on EBay. Only now are collectors from that 32 year time period beginning to turn loose of their knives because of economic turmoil, estate sales, or disinterest in their hobby. I see more and more early production years up for bid now on EBay...some quite rare...many unique...and they don't last long if there is a somewhat reasonable buy it now price.
Yes, Loose Arrow, there are more knives for us if there isn't much demand for what knives are out there, but there is a down side to that too....Bulldog Brand can fade away from memory to younger generations who will keep this hobby alive and demand for this nitch brand of knife. I am now seeing more and more new collector friends that haven't heard of Bulldog Brand before and that is sad to me. I could see Jim Parkers legacy knife brand fade away in a few more decades.
I still collect Bulldog Knives with a passion and am now into my 25th year with them. They have given me much joy in their pursuit of patterns and exotic handles. May a knife be in your pocket at all times...good day to everyone on this forum...you are all my collecting family!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Nicely stated Targetman and your analysis is spot on. I feel very fortunate in that I only discovered BDs about 4 years ago. I picked one up, did not recognize the brand, and committed to give it to someone. Before letting it go I looked it over very carefully and was impressed. One more purchase and I was hooked. Still another and I was convinced I had discovered something quite special in the world of pocket knives.

As you point our, low production numbers inhibited widespread knowledge of the brand. A knowledgeable writer years ago maintained that for a brand to develop collector interest required production runs of around 4 to 5 hundred.

Prices have held up and for some of the more interesting patterns have gotten too high for me. In fact I recently saw one listed for near a thousand dollars. Rather overly ambitious pricing I think. I have the same model acquired at less than half that amount about 18 months ago.

I do speculate on the future of my collection. I want them to arrive safely into the hands of someone who will appreciate these little treasures of workmanship.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Targetman wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:38 pm Quick Steel, your comment about not many people collecting Bulldog Brand knives rings true with me also. I surmise that only the generations that actively saw Bulldogs being produced and crafted can appreciate what collections they have...

....Yes, Loose Arrow, there are more knives for us if there isn't much demand for what knives are out there, but there is a down side to that too....Bulldog Brand can fade away from memory to younger generations. Who will keep this hobby alive and demand for this nitch brand of knife? I am now seeing more and more new collector friends that haven't heard of Bulldog Brand before and that is sad to me I could see Jim Parkers legacy knife brand fade away in a few more decades.
I still collect Bulldog Knives with a passion and am now into my 25th year with them. They have given me much joy in their pursuit of patterns and exotic handles. May a knife be in your pocket at all times...good day to everyone on this forum...you are all my collecting family!
::not_worthy::
25 years, wow! I was only 18 then and I only recently got bit... I can only hope to help keep it around just like a good dog should be kept, posterity thru preservation.
Thank you for your thoughts you've shared ::tu::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:30 pm Nicely stated Targetman and your analysis is spot on. I feel very fortunate in that I only discovered BDs about 4 years ago. I picked one up, did not recognize the brand, and committed to give it to someone. Before letting it go I looked it over very carefully and was impressed. One more purchase and I was hooked. Still another and I was convinced I had discovered something quite special in the world of pocket knives.

As you point our, low production numbers inhibited widespread knowledge of the brand. A knowledgeable writer years ago maintained that for a brand to develop collector interest required production runs of around 4 to 5 hundred.

Prices have held up and for some of the more interesting patterns have gotten too high for me. In fact I recently saw one listed for near a thousand dollars. Rather overly ambitious pricing I think. I have the same model acquired at less than half that amount about 18 months ago.

I do speculate on the future of my collection. I want them to arrive safely into the hands of someone who will appreciate these little treasures of workmanship.
🤑🤑
Yup, crazy ambitious! Are you referring to the 5 blade anniversary trappers in MOP?
Appreciate you stopping by ::tu::
::nod::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That's the one LA. Better hurry. Only about a week left to pick it up. :)
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi all, while I have a moment, thought I would post a picture of a German Bulldog I recently got in the early spring. It is a year 2000 single damascus blade lockback display knife that Jim Parker had made for the new Millenium. The blade is 330 layers of damascus steel in a pattern Jim called "wildfire". Fully open it is 12 inches in length and quite a handful to handle. I put a regular size Bulldog below it for comparison. Handle material is Stag and 50 of this handle material were made. I only had Rose damascus examples of this pattern and decided to get the Wildfire piece. Examples of Rose Damascus can be found on page 2 and 8 of this thread. I feel blessed to have this example....the seller had a buy it now price that was 40% less than what it sold for new in year 2000 so I took him up on the offer.
Attachments
0512200946-1.jpg
0512200943a.jpg
0512200943.jpg
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Targetman wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:24 pm Hi all, while I have a moment, thought I would post a picture of a German Bulldog I recently got in the early spring. It is a year 2000 single damascus blade lockback display knife that Jim Parker had made for the new Millenium. The blade is 330 layers of damascus steel in a pattern Jim called "wildfire". Fully open it is 12 inches in length and quite a handful to handle. I put a regular size Bulldog below it for comparison. Handle material is Stag and 50 of this handle material were made. I only had Rose damascus examples of this pattern and decided to get the Wildfire piece. Examples of Rose Damascus can be found on page 2 and 8 of this thread. I feel blessed to have this example....the seller had a buy it now price that was 40% less than what it sold for new in year 2000 so I took him up on the offer.
Awesome! I'm driving and I had to pull over just to look ::woot::

Return to “European-made knives”