German Bulldog knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Targetman

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Targetman »

Hi Sharpnshinyknives, it's nice to hear from fellow collectors about what they collect. Your Seki collection must have many admirable pieces in it. Their quality was top notch in my humble opinion with everything they produced. Jim Parker had many of his Parker Brand Knives produced there in the 80's and 90's.. Most of the mother of pearl were exquisitely crafted.
I don't know if you buy knives to resell but if you do you have an excellent opportunity to finance your collecting. Its hard to discipline yourself to collect just one brand.....so many quality knives out there past and present.....but learn to specialize and over the years your collection will become one of admiration.
I read that you regret not collecting Seki knives years ago....but today is a new day...I encourage you to go for it. If you have a mixed brand collection, sell some to finance your purchases. Be selective in buying that brand. Knife clubs, forums like here, knife shows and EBay give opportunities to grow your collection.
I see by your profile you are not much younger than me but you still have 20 or more years to grow your specialized collection. Don't be a woulda, shoulda, coulda person...go for it!!! Just a few pieces a month or even a year and after 20 years look what a magnificent collection you would have to display. Nothing is ever too late in life to start!
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hello again. What follows below are 12 Bulldog 5 blade sowbelly in various handle materials and blade etches. These have production dates from 1993 to 1998. Each is 3 5/8 inches closed.
1) Genuine Heart Abalone (prototype) no regular production.
2) Mother of pearl...Peacock etch
3) Mother of pearl...Standing dog etch
4) Stag...etched blade
5) Stag...plain blade
6) Jigged green bone...plain blade
7) Smooth red bone...Standing dog etch
8) Abalone swirl...plain blade
9) Gold dust...etched blade
10) Gold dust... Plain blade
11) Coon stripe...plain blade
12) Good earth...etched blade
Attachments
0404190910.jpg
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hello again, below are a few Bulldog Coon Stripe handled knives. I quit buying them a few years ago as this color material is prone to outgassing and causing rust. I keep these knives unboxed where air can circulate around them and a regular wipe down with CLP gun oil. So far I haven't seen any problems occuring.
Attachments
0404191029.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Targetman wrote:Hi Sharpnshinyknives, it's nice to hear from fellow collectors about what they collect. Your Seki collection must have many admirable pieces in it. Their quality was top notch in my humble opinion with everything they produced. Jim Parker had many of his Parker Brand Knives produced there in the 80's and 90's.. Most of the mother of pearl were exquisitely crafted.
I don't know if you buy knives to resell but if you do you have an excellent opportunity to finance your collecting. Its hard to discipline yourself to collect just one brand.....so many quality knives out there past and present.....but learn to specialize and over the years your collection will become one of admiration.
I read that you regret not collecting Seki knives years ago....but today is a new day...I encourage you to go for it. If you have a mixed brand collection, sell some to finance your purchases. Be selective in buying that brand. Knife clubs, forums like here, knife shows and EBay give opportunities to grow your collection.
I see by your profile you are not much younger than me but you still have 20 or more years to grow your specialized collection. Don't be a woulda, shoulda, coulda person...go for it!!! Just a few pieces a month or even a year and after 20 years look what a magnificent collection you would have to display. Nothing is ever too late in life to start!
Thank you for the encouraging words. I have been whittling down the collection and concentrating on fewer brands. My problem is I like so many, Case, Winchester, S&M, GEC, Boker, Henckels, and a few others. Hard to pass some up when you see them. I am not sure I would be cut out for single minded focus on one brand, I’m like a butterfly moving from cup to cup. Plus it’s hard not to try brands you didn’t collect when you are on this forum. The enthusiasm for GEC on here has been infectious. Last year at this time I had no GEC knives and now I have about 30 and counting. Last year at this time I had no Bulldogs and now I have 1 with 2 more on the way.
Before I retired I built my business on recommendations from clients. A good word from someone or something, like a knife, goes a long way. This forum proves that word of mouth is still one of the best advertisements.
I like the new ones you posted also. Wow. I too am running out of exclamations for all that you are showing from your collection. Keep em coming.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi Sharpnshinyknives, I know what you mean. I am a sucker for German made knives. A few years ago I slipped from my Bulldog Brand collecting and started pattern collecting Stag examples of J A Henckels and German Eye. If memory serves, I have 25 examples of Stag Henckels and 21 examples of Stag German Eye. All are well built as the Germans didn't skimp on materials or labor back 20 years ago. Nothing wrong with Case but there are literally thousands of pattern variations and handle materials available and you would have to have deep pockets to afford anywhere near a complete collection. You would have to specialize within a few decades to get a complete collection. I have resisted GEC and Case Classics ......the only knives in my opinion that approach factory custom made. Others are comparable but these two stick in my mind of being worthy of my attention. There is just not enough money in my pockets to even try a collection of them. HaHa, it's tough being a blue collar worker!!!
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi guys, one post this morning. The following are Bulldog Brand 1998 Salesman Samples with Nickel Silver Shields. These were AAA-1 Mother of Pearl with engraved bolsters. Master blade of each knife on the back is engraved "Salesman Sample". Only 7 of each were made. These engraved bolsters were never put into production due to cost and time required to complete. 5 knife patterns in this series.
1...2 bl trapper
2...2 bl copperhead
3...4 bl Congress
4...3 bl stockman
5...2 bl canoe
Attachments
0404191129.jpg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Targetman I am impress and amazed with every post. Thank you. ::tu:: ::nod::
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Good morning all. Below are 13 assorted jigged green bone Bulldogs. Some are 1st and 2nd generation pieces.

1) Lockback Calf Roper
2) 4 bl Congress large frame
3) 2 bl Muskrat
4) 2 bl Lumberjack etch
5) 2 bl Barlow Tobacco Brightleaf Florida
6) 2 bl Barlow Tobacco Brightleaf S.C.
7) 2 bl Sunfish Prototype with clip blade...none put into
production.
8) 5 bl Sowbelly (you saw this earlier)
9) 2 bl Copperhead
10) 2 bl Canoe Tobacco
11) 2 bl Barlow Tobacco Brightleaf V.A.
12) 2 bl Dogleg Trapper
13) 1 bl 5 inch Toothpick.
Attachments
0404190834a.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That lock back is a substantial knife. Another great showing. Thanks. ::tu::
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi Doglegg. Yes, the Calf Roper is a big knife. Instead of unlocking the blade by pressing on the rear of the knife, you use the lever to unlock the blade. Pull up the lever and using your thumb, push forward hard and a cam presses down on the backspring and unlocks the blade. Very ingenious I dare say.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi guys, came across a Bulldog 5 bl Sowbelly I forgot I had and didn't include it in my previous post. Its from 1993 with AAA-1 Pearl. The Master blade has a Pit Bull Fighting Dog etch and has Surgical Instrument steel blades.
Attachments
0413190941.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great knife Targetman. I like that sowbelly look and the blade shapes seem to set the Bulldogs apart. Thanks for sharing. ::nod:: ::handshake::
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Good morning everyone, below are some Bulldog knives with Gold Dust handles. They range from 1986 to 1995. I collected this handle material by pattern for a while until I started worrying about older celluloid outgassing. I haven't added any more for a while. As with my other examples of celluloid, I leave them unboxed and out where air can circulate around them. With this and regular wipe downs with gun oil has prevented any problems from developing.

1) 5 inch Toothpick Longhorn etch 1993 carbon steel
2) 5 inch Toothpick Longhorn etch 1993 surgical steel
3) 4 inch Texas Jack 2 bl Lumberjack 1993
4) 3 7/8 inch Dogleg Trapper Old Reliable etch 1993
5) 4 inch Stockman 3 bl round bolster 1995
6) 3 1/2 inch Cattle knife 3 bl 1995
7) 3 5/8 inch Sowbelly 5 bl 1993 no etch. 24 made
8) 3 5/8 inch Sowbelly 5 bl 1993 pitbull etch
9) 3 5/8 inch Sowbelly 3 bl 1993 pitbull etch
10) 3 5/8 inch Canoe 3 bl Tobacco etch 1986
Attachments
0413190823.jpg
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi guys, another post this morning. These four knives were Bulldog Brand that were made In the USA. These were made by Queen in 1995. These had oil hardened blades and USA was stamped on the tang. In Jim Parkers catalog he said, " These are the only USA Bulldogs ever made with the 2 dog stamp. This stamp was discontinued at the end of 1995 and will never be used again in regular production." This statement remained true until he passed away. Only until 2008 did Bulldog Brand resume production in the USA.
These were 3 blade Sowbelly and came in 4 handle materials.
1) Genuine Stag
2) Jigged red bone
3) Smooth Molasses bone
4) Jigged antique green bone
Attachments
0413190908.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Targetman wrote: Only until 2008 did Bulldog Brand resume production in the USA.
Targetman, a couple of questions. If I am understanding correctly, some Bulldogs were USA produced until 2008. Correct? Were these all produced by Queen and/or GEC? Would you know the years when BDs were USA manufactured? Finally, do you know the year that BDs went to China? In other words, the end of the high quality BDs. Any info will be most appreciated.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Targetman wrote:Hi guys, another post this morning. These four knives were Bulldog Brand that were made In the USA. These were made by Queen in 1995. These had oil hardened blades and USA was stamped on the tang. In Jim Parkers catalog he said, " These are the only USA Bulldogs ever made with the 2 dog stamp. This stamp was discontinued at the end of 1995 and will never be used again in regular production." This statement remained true until he passed away. Only until 2008 did Bulldog Brand resume production in the USA.
These were 3 blade Sowbelly and came in 4 handle materials.
1) Genuine Stag
2) Jigged red bone
3) Smooth Molasses bone
4) Jigged antique green bone
Those are some of my favorites. Very partial to Sowbelly knives. Very nice line up of BDs.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi Quick Steel, 1995 was the only year that Jim Parker had any USA Bulldogs made. These were made by Queen...The 4 sowbelly knives I posted and 2 Swell Center 2 blade 3 3/4 inch with angled bolsters were all of the entire USA production that year.I will take a picture out of his catalog and post.
After Jim passed away, Jim's son and Ed Henley contracted USA Bulldog production with Queen and Great Eastern Cutlery. 2008 was a transition year from German to USA as I have both German and USA stamped dates from that year. I think the last Bulldogs were produced in 2010 as that is the last date I have seen stamped on a knife.
As far as the China made Bulldogs, I remember there were a few years lull after the end of the USA production before I saw any China Bulldogs appear. I was thoroughly disgusted with what I saw and refused to buy any examples. As to an exact year date I can't tell you.....for me when I see cheap being produced I tend to forget I even saw it. I hope this helps you.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

This out of Jim's catalog. Sorry, I can't get pictures upright.
Attachments
0415191539.jpg
0415191540.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Targetman thanks for the information. I have zero interest in the China made BDs. I was trying to nail down the final year of quality production in either the German or USA production. So, 2010 seems to be about it.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

China made Bulldogs are very easy to spot. They have a Fighting Dog shield on the handle material and nowhere does it say Solingen or USA made.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Good morning guys, below are a few misc mostly jigged brown bone Bulldogs from 1995 and 1996. The first two have double eagles etched into the master blade to indicate the first year of production of the standing dog tang stamp. This was only used the first year.

1) 4 1/4 inch stockman 3 bl Standing Dog 1996
2) 4 1/4 inch Trapper 2 bl Standing Dog 1996
3) 4 inch Jack 2 bl Tear Drop blade etch 1996
4) 4 inch Congress 2 bl transition prototype. I blade
has standing dog, other has fighting dog tang
stamp. Dark brown bone.
5) 3 1/2 inch 2 blade 1996
6) 3 3/8 inch 4 bl Congress Stag 1995 plain blade
7) 3 5/8 inch Physicians knife 1 bl Stag 1996
8) 3 5/8 inch Physicians knife 2 bl Red bone 1996
Attachments
0404191112.jpg
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hey guys, below are four Fishtail pattern knives from 2008. This was the last year of the German made Bulldogs.

1) Caramel bone 1 blade
2) Red bone 1 blade
3) Green bone 1 blade
4) Stag 3 blade.
Attachments
0413190950.jpg
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

Hi Targetman,

What a fantastic collection! I need to take more time to look at all of your pictures. It is evident that you know what you want and it appears that there isn't any holes in your sets. Are they all complete? I sure like the 5 blade Anglo Saxon knives. Great job!

Return to “European-made knives”