Johnny Muskrat

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Johnny Muskrat

Post by doglegg »

Ran across this little Bulldog Johnny Muskrat on ebay the other day for a decent price. I like the red bone handles. I think Johnny Muskrat was an outdoors writer a lot of years ago. Thanks for looking. Also picked up the knife opener.
DSCN5392.JPG
DSCN5393.JPG
DSCN5395.JPG
DSCN5394.JPG
DSCN5384.JPG
XX Case XX

Re: Johnny Muskrat

Post by XX Case XX »

Nice pick-up. That's a good looking knife and they're well made. I also like the color on the handles. Were you able to get both items at the same time or did you have to purchase them separately?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Floyd, I don't know much about the Bulldog knives, as Mike says it's a good looking knife and Johnny Muskrat is also new to me. (I must have lived a sheltered life. ::shrug:: ) But I realized looking at it, I don't remember seeing a straight framed Muskrat before, all I remember have a serpentine frame. Muskrats are kinda' neat no matter what shape they come in! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nice knife! That equal-end straight frame is a new one on me. Parker commissioned Schrade for some muskrats back in about 1978 with a Johnny Muskrat etch, also. Now I am curious about who Johnny Muskrat was.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

XX Case XX wrote:Nice pick-up. That's a good looking knife and they're well made. I also like the color on the handles. Were you able to get both items at the same time or did you have to purchase them separately?

Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Tree farmer and Tongueriver, I've kinda been focusing on Bulldog lately, really well made knives. I read a note some where that Johnny Muskrat wrote for an outdoor magazine in the 1930's or 1940's and a lot of his articles dealt with trapping. I need to look that up as well and find out a little more. I do like the straight frame look of their muskrats. Thanks for the comments. ::handshake::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I like that blade combo, too!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Doc B wrote:I like that blade combo, too!
That is retro to the wharncliffe blade on the muskrats sold to the Hawbaker trapping supply company starting in the 1930s. Both CASE and Schrade made them that way.
Delmar Morgan

Post by Delmar Morgan »

I swear I read a article in Fur -Fish - Game magazine that Johnny Muskrat was a fur buyer from Alaska. Why he got that name was he bought thousands of muskrat hides back in the 20's-40's for lap robes before the invention of heated car's.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

doglegg, There is a lot to like with your muskrat: color, unusual frame, time period. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

It appears that Johnny Muskrat wrote Tips for Trappers. I also read that he was a spokesman for Sears. Thanks Doc, Delmar and QS. ::nod:: ::handshake::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Real nice knife! I like the blade combination and as has been said, that straight frame is right interesting.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Wade. ::handshake::
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

doglegg wrote: I have another Bulldog knife opener on the way with a different design.
Those would be something altogether different to collect. I'd like to see it when it arrives. Please post some photos of the new one along with any others you have. Maybe we should start a new category called "Knife Openers"? ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

XX Case XX wrote:
doglegg wrote: I have another Bulldog knife opener on the way with a different design.
Those would be something altogether different to collect. I'd like to see it when it arrives. Please post some photos of the new one along with any others you have. Maybe we should start a new category called "Knife Openers"? ::nod::

Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

There is a Bulldog Johnny Muskrat like this one but in stag for sale in Mr Kennedy's store.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

doglegg wrote:There is a Bulldog Johnny Muskrat like this one but in stag for sale in Mr Kennedy's store.
Thanks for the ad .Does yours have a date stamped on the blade ? I can't find much info on the Johnny Muskrat and none on the red bone you have . Don't see the Red Bone Muskrat in any of the listing in Parkers Book .Maybe someone will shed some light on this. ::shrug::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

kennedy knives wrote:
doglegg wrote:There is a Bulldog Johnny Muskrat like this one but in stag for sale in Mr Kennedy's store.
Thanks for the ad .Does yours have a date stamped on the blade ? I can't find much info on the Johnny Muskrat and none on the red bone you have . Don't see the Red Bone Muskrat in any of the listing in Parkers Book .Maybe someone will shed some light on this. ::shrug::
It has 1998 stamped on both blades. Are you thinking it is a rehandle? ::shrug::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

doglegg wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:
It has 1998 stamped on both blades. Are you thinking it is a rehandle? ::shrug::
Has the same blade stamp that the stag Muskrat I have on my site . I don't think it has been rehandled . Parker just doesn't list much about the 1998 blade stamps in his book . I Know that the Hawbaker are less produced than the regular Muskrat . In Parkers Book in goes in detail about the 1995 blade stamped Muskrats but not the 1998 stamped . Love the Red Bone you Have, great find . Maybe he will give an update on his book (that would be nice). ::handshake::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Delmar Morgan wrote:I swear I read a article in Fur -Fish - Game magazine that Johnny Muskrat was a fur buyer from Alaska. Why he got that name was he bought thousands of muskrat hides back in the 20's-40's for lap robes before the invention of heated car's.
Delmar, while researching a little I found an article that mentioned some of his contributions to Fur Fish Game magazine. You have a good memory. ::tu::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

kennedy knives wrote:
doglegg wrote:
kennedy knives wrote: Thanks for the ad .Does yours have a date stamped on the blade ? I can't find much info on the Johnny Muskrat and none on the red bone you have . Don't see the Red Bone Muskrat in any of the listing in Parkers Book .Maybe someone will shed some light on this. ::shrug::
Has the same blade stamp that the stag Muskrat I have on my site . I don't think it has been rehandled . Parker just doesn't list much about the 1998 blade stamps in his book . I Know that the Hawbaker are less produced than the regular Muskrat . In Parkers Book in goes in detail about the 1995 blade stamped Muskrats but not the 1998 stamped . Love the Red Bone you Have, great find . Maybe he will give an update on his book (that would be nice). ::handshake::
Hey Mr Kennedy there is a 5 blade Bulldog over on ebay with that same Red Bone handle. A bit above my price range.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bulldo ... Sw9GhYi3i7
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

doglegg wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:
doglegg wrote: It has 1998 stamped on both blades. Are you thinking it is a rehandle? ::shrug::
Hey Mr Kennedy there is a 5 blade Bulldog over on ebay with that same Red Bone handle. A bit above my price range.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bulldo ... Sw9GhYi3i7
I would say that is a-bit above my price also thanks for sharing ::handshake::

Return to “European-made knives”