Ivory Sowbelly Stockman II

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ivory Sowbelly Stockman II

Post by doglegg »

kootenay joe wrote:I wonder if ivory from center area of a tusk shows little to no grain ? Maybe the 2 ivory BD's i had were hafted with 'center' ivory ?
Ivory Micarta does show lines which can be mistaken for ivory. I have been mistaken a couple of times thinking Micarta was ivory.
kj
Roland two of the three show grain under a 45 power loupe.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Floyd. I think these Bulldogs used a range of ivory quality. There is 'reconstituted ivory' which is ivory sawdust from a cutting room floor combined with epoxy. It has no grain. I also think that the center part of a tusk has either no grain or little grain. I would sure like to have this confirmed or corrected.
Do you have a GEC with ivory to compare with the Bulldogs ?
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks Floyd. I think these Bulldogs used a range of ivory quality. There is 'reconstituted ivory' which is ivory sawdust from a cutting room floor combined with epoxy. It has no grain. I also think that the center part of a tusk has either no grain or little grain. I would sure like to have this confirmed or corrected.
Do you have a GEC with ivory to compare with the Bulldogs ?
kj
No Sir, my only GEC is mammoth, the one I got from you. Thanks again! ::tu:: ::handshake::

Return to “European-made knives”