Bulldog knife pick

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Bulldog knife pick

Post by doglegg »

Picked up another Bulldog knife opener. It is a little fancier than the first one. A pic of the two together. Maybe one is left hand and the other right hand. Thanks for looking.
DSCN5415.JPG
DSCN5439.JPG
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Bulldog knife pick

Post by kennedy knives »

Maybe you should start a Knife Pick show & Tell ::handshake::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I would enjoy seeing everyone else's. ::nod::
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi Doglegg, I like the fancy picks myself. I remember when Jim Parker used to give those away as freebies when you bought Bulldogs at his knife shows. Those days are gone...aren't they!!
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Those are real nice. I think they will make a very good addition to your collection. Nicely done!! ::nod:: ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Mike, I enjoy the little accessories to a brand. ::handshake::
Targetman, I'm sure glad you have begun posting. What an amazing amount of Bulldogs. They don't give them away anymore but are great little additions. I think I have only seen 3 variations. There are probably more. ::handshake::
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Doglegg, I'm not really sure, but I think I remember in one of Jim's Bulldog catalogs a listing of all the different Bulldog Knife picks he had for sale. For some reason I want to say six styles. I kept all the Bulldog catalogs for reference from 1997 to 2010. They keep things straight in my mind about details. If I run across them in a catalog soon I will let you know for sure.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Doglegg, from a 2003 catalog I found these Bulldog knife picks. The middle two look the same to me. I was mistaken about how many there were.
What I was thinking about were knife picks from other trademarks Jim Parker had license to. I included these pictures out of a 2002 catalog for your amusement.
If you click on the pictures they will be right side up.
Attachments
0320191732.jpg
0320191728.jpg
0320191729.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks for the info and history Targetman. I will have to keep an eye out for that one I don't have. ::nod:: ::tu::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Cool.
Do any of you guys use one?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

I have never used a knife pick on anything I collect or use daily. I would never use one on a high quality collectable and my daily carry all I need is my thumbnail to open any blade. I would think using a knife pick daily would scar up the nail nick. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Targetman wrote:I have never used a knife pick on anything I collect or use daily. I would never use one on a high quality collectable and my daily carry all I need is my thumbnail to open any blade. I would think using a knife pick daily would scar up the nail nick. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
What he said. ::handshake::
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Many Bulldog knives came with a pick in the box when purchased new.
Roger
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Yes I remember this. Especially when Jim Parker was selling off the Bulldog stag factory over runs in 2003-2004. Every knife you bought, he would include a pick in a plastic sleeve. Didn't matter if you ordered or was at his show, a pick was included. Those were the good old days!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Steve Warden wrote:Cool.
I keep a pick (it’s a Case, not a Bulldog) attached to my key ring. Don’t use it often but if I’m looking at a bunch of knives or run across one with a stiff back spring it comes in handy. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

A pick has its place, but I was always afraid to use one and cause scarring in the nail nick.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi Doglegg, I have been seeing a few Bulldog knife picks on EBay for sale with the standing dog etch you needed. Also saw a Double Dog Head etch offered. All these were offered by Silverladdie (Buzz Parker) Hope you saw these and got one for your collection.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Steve, I use one regularly when I photograph knives. You do have to be extremely careful because you will scratch the knife at the nail nick if it slips off. Probably 1/4 of the knives that I handle are hard to open and it’s the only way that I can open them. My thumbnails are brittle from my diabetes and turn back or break easily. My EDC usually has a thumbstud for this very reason.
My go to pick is my A.G. Russell w/ mammoth ivory, I haven’t photographed it, but can. What I like most about this one is that the business end has a slant, almost like a knife blade, which makes it easy to get into the smaller and less deep nail nicks. Or turn it over and use the flat side for larger ones. Other knife picks I have don’t have that. You can tell A.G. put a lot of thought into this.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

Steve, I use one regularly when I photograph knives. You do have to be extremely careful because you will scratch the knife at the nail nick if it slips off. Probably 1/4 of the knives that I handle are hard to open and it’s the only way that I can open them. My thumbnails are brittle from my diabetes and turn back or break easily. My EDC usually has a thumbstud for this very reason.
My go to pick is my A.G. Russell w/ mammoth ivory, I haven’t photographed it, but can. What I like most about this one is that the business end has a slant, almost like a knife blade, which makes it easy to get into the smaller and less deep nail nicks. Or turn it over and use the flat side for larger ones. Other knife picks I have don’t have that. You can tell A.G. put a lot of thought into this.
SSk
A pic of that mammoth would be great, please.

And I admit to a bit of a cringe thinking about my thumbnail folding back *shudder*
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Steve Warden wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

SSk
A pic of that mammoth would be great, please.

And I admit to a bit of a cringe thinking about my thumbnail folding back *shudder*
Here you go Steve, not the best photos but you can see it. From the catalog they don’t offer mammoth ivory any more. The second photo may be hard to see that slant, I tried to get it against a dark back ground, if you zoom in I think you can see it.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0275.jpeg
IMG_0276.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

A right nifty little tool. Thanks for sharing the pic. ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

SSK that is a nifty knife pick indeed. I've seen some others for Schatt and Morgan and Canal Street that have Mammoth. Your is great. ::nod::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Targetman wrote:Hi Doglegg, I have been seeing a few Bulldog knife picks on EBay for sale with the standing dog etch you needed. Also saw a Double Dog Head etch offered. All these were offered by Silverladdie (Buzz Parker) Hope you saw these and got one for your collection.
Thanks for thinking of me Targetman. The Standing Dog etch from Silverladdie is in the mail with my address on it. I'll try to get a pic when it gets here. ::handshake::

d
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Greatt!!! I like the little extras also that make a collection pop!
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hey Doglegg. Where is that picture of the standing Bulldog knife pick you had coming? We are all waiting!!! If we don't see pictures it didn't happen! Hee Hee.

Return to “European-made knives”