For collectors or users?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Dave G

Re: For collectors or users?

Post by Dave G »

Quick Steel wrote:Dave G,
I have to admit that when I first started collecting Bulldogs I jumped to conclusions as to which generations were "the best." Initially, after just 5 or 6 knives I was beginning to think that it was the later generations that were a bit superior. Now, after about 45 knives, my view is that very fine knives were capable of being produced in every generation.
I'll take the advice of people with greater knowledge that me any day, and keep it in mind. Knowing this, it sure opens the market up by a great degree.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You asked for opinions and this is AAPK so you got 'em. You've heard it before, "Opinions are like -- well you know --, everyone has one and they all stink." So here's mine.

If you like a knife well enough to pay a premium price for it, go ahead and buy it. It may or may not retain it's perceived value but who cares. You like it. Now if you like this premium priced knife so much that you want to carry it, you could do that or you could put it up, go out and find a used one for $25 - $40 (of course assuming used ones are available) and carry that one instead of buying a $100 (or $80 or $60) knife and turning it into a $25 - $40 knife.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I think aiming to collect a particular generation, say the 3rd, is a perfectly worthy endeavor. I just lack the patience for doing that. So by all means follow your own preferences.

To avoid surprises and maximize my satisfaction with a purchase I am picky. If the seller has provided inadequate info, fairly frequent on ebay, I don't hesitate to send questions. This also results from inadequate photographs. E.G. Is there any blade wobble or looseness? This is a killer for me. I may have to ask about what appear to be scratches on a blade or handle in the photos. This will often turn out to be simply a reflection, but not always. I examine all photos carefully for carbon spots or even rust on the spine as well as the blades.

I recall one seller who said that his NIB BD had just the normal light wobble. The seller was honest, but imo there is no such thing as normal blade wobble whether light or otherwise. No sale.

Happy hunting Dave.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Even as a user and not collector, I will not accept blade wobble of any kind on any knife new or old. If I didn't care I'd be buying a $20 rustler! I bought my first BD from what appears to be a well respected member here, Olderdogs1, from eBay. His description was through, and spot on, which was made it a lot easier to buy from him. As a plus, in my opinion, the price was fair, the knife was packed well, and shipped quickly. eBay is a risky place to do business, sometimes!
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

jerryd6818 wrote:You asked for opinions and this is AAPK so you got 'em. You've heard it before, "Opinions are like -- well you know --, everyone has one and they all stink." So here's mine.

If you like a knife well enough to pay a premium price for it, go ahead and buy it. It may or may not retain it's perceived value but who cares. You like it. Now if you like this premium priced knife so much that you want to carry it, you could do that or you could put it up, go out and find a used one for $25 - $40 (of course assuming used ones are available) and carry that one instead of buying a $100 (or $80 or $60) knife and turning it into a $25 - $40 knife.
Well, I'm not sure what a premium is on these knives, but at sub $150 I'm pretty happy to hand over that much for a good user knife. Most of my daily users are far north of that number. I'm not a collector, but enjoy good pocket knives just the same. As a user, I wouldn't buy a full on collectors knife, and remove it from circulation to those that would want it for that. My original post was entry point level, to see if good examples of these knives were heavily collected and not users. The longer I spend time here and read the posts from what looks to be very knowledgeable people, the more I understand the user/ collector line in the sand
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Dave G wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:You asked for opinions and this is AAPK so you got 'em. You've heard it before, "Opinions are like -- well you know --, everyone has one and they all stink." So here's mine.

Well, I'm not sure what a premium is on these knives, but at sub $150 I'm pretty happy to hand over that much for a good user knife. Most of my daily users are far north of that number. I'm not a collector, but enjoy good pocket knives just the same. As a user, I wouldn't buy a full on collectors knife, and remove it from circulation to those that would want it for that. My original post was entry point level, to see if good examples of these knives were heavily collected and not users. The longer I spend time here and read the posts from what looks to be very knowledgeable people, the more I understand the user/ collector line in the sand
Dave, Welcome to the forum. This question comes up periodically on here and you get so many opinions it’s hard to sort out. I think from they way you talk that you are a collector and just don’t know it yet. Sometimes it takes a change in your life to bring this out of a person, such as retirement, empty nest, more time to pursue a hobby, and sometimes it’s just having the money to collect knives. The money issue kept me from collecting for many years.
My guess is that you will do both, buy knives to use and you will buy some that you just can’t bring yourself to use when it comes right down to it and that starts the collection. Personally I love looking, handling and examining knives. I display all my knives so I can enjoy them. Heaven knows I have plenty of users that I pick up and use regularly. But I have hundreds of knives that I will never use and just enjoy having them around. I think you will find that you will do both. Don’t hesitate to ask on here if a knife is a good one to collect or not so good. You will get a plethora of answers but you can sort through that information and make your own decisions, that’s half the fun of collecting.
By the way check out “targetmans” Bulldog collection. I have never seen anyone so focused on collecting Bulldogs like he is, he has an amazing collection.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

I used this 2nd Gen Bulldog Muskrat on the trap line-only the non etched blade by the way. It pelted beaver, muskrat, mink, coyote and a few whitetail and mule deer. Always had firm pull and excellent snap-real sharp, too. Waved goodbye to it last year. ::facepalm::
Attachments
IMG_4675.JPG
IMG_4676.JPG
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Had this little 2nd Gen Stag Sowbelly-never used. Found it a new home last year.
Attachments
IMG_4631.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

OR-19, Glad to learn your user experience with Bulldog. Sounds like it provided excellent service.
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

::tu::
QS,
Yep, my experience with the 1st & 2nd generation Bulldogs is all positive (trappers, muskrats, lumberjacks, sowbellys, congress, stockmans and large cattlemens) with the exception of one coon stripe lumberjack that had an inordinately light pull. In addition the 3 Bulldog stag fixed blades I had (all three with the moose, bear, deer, cougar & sheep etching) were mighty fine.
Attachments
IMG_4858.JPG
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

::groove:: In short, if cared for good knives have value. Unused do bring more than used. In addition appreciation over time factors in. My trap line muskrat as shown above was well cared for and the above photo was taken to list it after 20+ years of service. As you can see it still had quite a bit of blade left however the celluloid handles show shrinkage. It brought about what I originally paid for it. The as new stag sowbelly brought more than the original price again some 20+ years had passed though. The fixed blades shown were very limited production and escalated rapidly in value in a matter of weeks. The call is yours to purchase for use or maximum investment. Factor in time and in my experience either choice proves a winner.

Return to “European-made knives”