Info on this Bulldog knife?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Lyricochet77

Info on this Bulldog knife?

Post by Lyricochet77 »

Hello! Just found this forum while searching for info on this knife I bought today. I’m totally new to knife collecting, might not ever collect a lot but the few we have, we love. This one is pretty small at 3”. And does anyone know what handle this is made of? I’m looking for an informative site that has all kinds of info on folding knives as well. This forum IS a great start!
Thank you so much!
Dawn
Attachments
479BC2EC-18C9-448B-8129-D64D1AB08C6A.jpeg
B119C34F-C9A7-465E-9FBE-A2C78DA84840.jpeg
Doc B

Re: Info on this Bulldog knife?

Post by Doc B »

Welcome to AAPK ::welcome:: I'm going to preface this, by saying I don't know, for sure. I'm going to throw a guess out...then the Bulldog experts will be along and give the right answer. It looks like acrylic to me. If not acrylic; then, celluloid. You meet qualifications, to be here... have a knife and love it!!! Nice looking knife! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Lyricochet77

Post by Lyricochet77 »

Doc B wrote:Welcome to AAPK ::welcome:: I'm going to preface this, by saying I don't know, for sure. I'm going to throw a guess out...then the Bulldog experts will be along and give the right answer. It looks like acrylic to me. If not acrylic; then, celluloid. You meet qualifications, to be here... have a knife and love it!!! Nice looking knife! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks for the reply! I’m on the right track then :-) I’ve been looking at images of celluloid knives since they look so similar. This is definitely my favorite so far!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Dawn welcome and you have a very knice knife. Bulldogs can be addictive. I bet the handles are celluloid. It is a looker. ::tu:: ::tu::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Sorry, I'm no help with any info.
But welcome to AAPK!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Dawn, Welcome aboard. You have a very nice looking knife. I love Bulldogs but I need to caution you about something. Celluloid, which can be very attractive, is subject to deterioration called "outgassing." As the celluloid breaks down over time the chemicals are emitted and will corrode your knife. Also affected will be any other knives (of any material) that are nearby. For that reason celluloid knives should be stored away from other knives; best in the open air. Bulldog made many attractive celluloid handles and there are collectors who have had no deterioration after years. But some are not so lucky. In any event, you should check on such knives from time to time. It might be helpful to apply a coat of good wax such as Rennaisance Wax. But I do not have personal experience with this as I choose not to collect celluloid, keeping instead to the natural handle materials such as stag, abalone, bone.

You probably know that there is a Bulldog thread in our forum and, if you have not yet done so, I would encourage you to spend time reading thru this. Be aware that inexpensive China made Bulldogs are of a much lower quality than the German (and a few U.S. made) Bulldogs
which ended production sometime around 2010.

You have chosen a great brand. If your handle materials (called covers or scales) are acrylic or some other synthetic besides celluloid you will have no trouble with them.
Lyricochet77

Post by Lyricochet77 »

Quick Steel wrote:Dawn, Welcome aboard.
Thank you all for the welcome!
Quick Steel, thanks for the info on celluloid! I’ll definitely keep all that in mind. In my search for more info on handle types, I saw some abalone and fell in love! Have to locate one to add to my ‘collection’! :D

Return to “European-made knives”