Bulldog Display Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
bsromo

Bulldog Display Knife

Post by bsromo »

Got this one a few years ago and when cleaning it this time I noticed the handles had shrunk a bit! Did more reading and learned celluloid can shrink - my other celluloid handled knives from Case have not - was wondering if Bulldog knives do or if the size has anything to do with it???
bulldog display whittler.JPG
bulldog display whittler.JPG
bulldof display whittler 2.JPG
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Bulldog Display Knife

Post by herbva »

Do a google search and you can find a ton of information about the unstable nature of celluloid and the "outgassing" that happens. There are many theories and opinions about what kind of celluloid is more prone to this phenomenon and many disagreements about this. I have replaced the scales on many, many knives with outgassing celluloid. I believe the shrinkage you have noticed signifies the start of outgassing. My advice - store this knife (and all celluloid knives) away from other knives and keep an eye on it. Once you see any discoloration or corrosion occurring it is time to replace the scales. If you let it go on too long, the gas released will eat away the metal. I have seen the outgassing process accelerate rather quickly and unexpectedly. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

bsromo wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:33 am Got this one a few years ago and when cleaning it this time I noticed the handles had shrunk a bit! Did more reading and learned celluloid can shrink - my other celluloid handled knives from Case have not - was wondering if Bulldog knives do or if the size has anything to do with it???bulldog display whittler.JPGbulldog display whittler.JPGbulldof display whittler 2.JPG
Off the main subject matter here bsromo, what is the beautiful reflection on last picture's blade and bolster?
Stained glass windows? It makes a very interesting picture. ::nod::
Nice Bulldog.
I have many Fight'n Rooster folders that have shrinking handles also. However, not enough to require replacement. (yet)
I just keep a close eye on them, keep them segregated and clean.
And welcome to aapk. ::handshake::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Every handle is different. I have had a lot of experience with bulldogs. The imitation abalone is prone to shrink but is very unlikely to gas.you should be fine.
Tom.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Bulldog, Fight 'N Rooster and newer Remington celluloids are terrible for outgassing issues. Keep them quarantined and in the open as much as possible, giving them at least monthly attention. In addition to the scales shrinking, the blade(s) can start rusting along with the liners. And they will take out other knives in close proximity.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
bsromo

Post by bsromo »

Thank you for the information and advice - I thought about re handling it but was a little concerned I would hurt the value of it - but see the benefits of preserving it from deteriorating too.
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

I remember when the set in the OP came out. I waited months to get a five bladed Sowbelly with the five color Peacock on the blade. :D
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
bsromo

Post by bsromo »

Good evening - Old Folder is correct - the reflection is an old stained glass lamp that is about 15" away. I didn't even register with me - don't know what I was thinking
bsromo

Post by bsromo »

The other Bulldog display knife I have is in the sunfish pattern. It is in the top three of my favorites in my collection.
bulldog display toenail.JPG
bulldog toenail display 2.JPG

Return to “European-made knives”