GEC/BULLDOG CONGRESS

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

GEC/BULLDOG CONGRESS

Post by Quick Steel »

After 30 plus years of manufacture, Bulldog of Solingen Germany ceased production of their exceptional knives in the Olbertz factory. I suppose it just became too expensive to produce these quality knives at a reasonable profit margin. I further suppose Mr. Parker thought it might be possible to successfully produce the BD brand in the U.S. and still maintain the quality. A relatively few knives were produced here. The brand went into eclipse and suffered the indignity of being handed off to China, the fate of many once proud names.

Some of the above is my conjecture. I would love to hear input on the USA Bulldogs from some of our BD experts like olderdogs 1, Dinadin, Zeke8 or others.

This 3 1/2" Congress was produced by GEC in 2010. F&F are as good as it gets. No transition can be felt between the scales and the bolsters. They meld together smooth as glass. Firm half-stops. What I particularly enjoy on this and other great knives, is the distinctive "snick, snick" sound of the walk and talk.

The bone scales are red tho they photograph somewhat orange. Note the dogbone shield. I am informed this is rare.
P1030644 (2).JPG
P1030645 (2).JPG
P1030646 (2).JPG
Loose Arrow

Re: GEC/BULLDOG CONGRESS

Post by Loose Arrow »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:16 pm After 30 plus years of manufacture, Bulldog of Solingen Germany ceased production of their exceptional knives in the Olbertz factory. I suppose it just became too expensive to produce these quality knives at a reasonable profit margin. I further suppose Mr. Parker thought it might be possible to successfully produce the BD brand in the U.S. and still maintain the quality. A relatively few knives were produced here. The brand went into eclipse and suffered the indignity of being handed off to China, the fate of many once proud names.

Some of the above is my conjecture. I would love to hear input on the USA Bulldogs from some of our BD experts like olderdogs 1, Dinadin, Zeke8 or others.

This 3 1/2" Congress was produced by GEC in 2010. F&F are as good as it gets. No transition can be felt between the scales and the bolsters. They meld together smooth as glass. Firm half-stops. What I particularly enjoy on this and other great knives, is the distinctive "snick, snick" sound of the walk and talk.

The bone scales are red tho they photograph somewhat orange. Note the dogbone shield. I am informed this is rare.

P1030644 (2).JPG

P1030645 (2).JPGP1030646 (2).JPG
::woot:: ::nod::

Nice!

Return to “European-made knives”