Striking Errors

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Loose Arrow

Striking Errors

Post by Loose Arrow »

Hello, I'm new to this forum and thought I'd jump right in with a topic. Are striking errors common? ::hmm:: Please share if you have any.
Attachments
20200806_085526.jpg
Steve Warden

Re: Mint Striking Errors

Post by Steve Warden »

Sorry, I have no clue. Pretty cool, though.
Welcome aboard!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

::handshake::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Steve Warden wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:39 pm Sorry, I have no clue. Pretty cool, though.
Welcome aboard!
Thanks, ::handshake::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Those kinds of errors happen. There are several threads here about them, usually from a new member with a knife that has such an error and wanting to know if it’s gonna make them rich. :lol: And the answer is always, “not likely”. Here’s an example: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60638

Here’s one I have. Not double struck, but struck upside down.

Ken
Attachments
6A974015-3753-45A7-8752-23110C160966.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

::ds:: ::pray:: ::facepalm::
Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:32 pm Welcome to AAPK. Those kinds of errors happen. There are several threads here about them, usually from a new member with a knife that has such an error and wanting to know if it’s gonna make them rich. :lol: And the answer is always, “not likely”. Here’s an example: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60638

Here’s one I have. Not double struck, but struck upside down.

Ken
Thanks for sharing your example. This might sound dumb but is two different design strikes the same as being struck by the same design twice? It has the dogs on the reverse of the tang only, no year.
::handshake::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Striking Errors

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Not sure if I understand your question. I suppose many kinds of different errors are possible, depending on the maker’s manufacturing process.

Case currently strikes the tang marking simultaneously at the time the blade is stamped out of the raw steel, making such errors very rare. Not sure how long they’ve been doing it that way. Some makers strike the tang marks on blades as a separate operation which I’d guess is more error prone. In earlier times and less automated factories, numbers and letters were individually stamped, so they sometimes were crooked or didn’t line up evenly. If you study knife making history including early knives you’ll see all sorts of variations.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:24 pm Not sure if I understand your question. I suppose many kinds of different errors are possible, depending on the maker’s manufacturing process.

Case currently strikes the tang marking simultaneously at the time the blade is stamped out of the raw steel, making such errors very rare. Not sure how long they’ve been doing it that way. Some makers strike the tang marks on blades as a separate operation which I’d guess is more error prone. In earlier times and less automated factories, numbers and letters were individually stamped, so they sometimes were crooked or didn’t line up evenly. If you study knife making history including early knives you’ll see all sorts of variations.

Ken
Thanks for your input, I'll keep an eye out for more oddities.
8)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Basically striking errors while not common are also not rare. They do not increase the value of a knife and may slightly decrease the value as most collectors want a perfect example and a striking error detracts from this.
kj
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:45 am Basically striking errors while not common are also not rare. They do not increase the value of a knife and may slightly decrease the value as most collectors want a perfect example and a striking error detracts from this.
kj
Thanks for the reply. ::tu::
Just sharing something to break the ice. ::handshake::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Here is another one I have, 93 Toothpick Longhorn.
Attachments
20200822_123724~2.jpg
20200822_121452~2.jpg
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

That’s pretty cool, I’ve never seen one with a tang stamp like that. Thanks for sharing.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

fishin1635 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:51 pm That’s pretty cool, I’ve never seen one with a tang stamp like that. Thanks for sharing.
::handshake:: I'll keep an eye out for more. ::tu::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Came across this one on eBay.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200913-224724~2.png
Screenshot_20200914-105447~2.png
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Found another one.