Sacrilegious?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.

'Improving' things is ALWAYS a poor decision?

Yes because you'll probably do a piss poor job.
No votes
Yes. Regardless, it will hurt its intrinsic value.
No votes
Not if you can reliably improve upon its use.
8%
Not if it is necessary, to fix deterioration.
17%
50/50. Some, IF you can, some you just can't.
75%

Total votes: 12

Loose Arrow

Sacrilegious?

Post by Loose Arrow »

Go ahead and let me have it. Was this a sacrilegious act? ::paranoid:: IDK but I just didn't like the way the etch was made on this knife and Japan looked cheap too. :shock: I figured it's not much of a collectible to worry about if something went wrong but maybe someone here will think different. ::shrug:: Got any stories, through experience, of things that should or shouldn't be done to a Bulldog knife? I recently learned, through stupid experience, that vinegar will eat more than just rust. ::dang::
Attachments
20200620_192045_HDR.jpg
20200620_195143.jpg
20200620_144257.jpg
20200620_145855_HDR.jpg
20200620_213607.jpg
20200620_214813.jpg
20200621_170835.jpg
20200621_171512.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sacrilegious?

Post by doglegg »

If you are happy with the outcome then that is what matters. If you mess up a collectable that just makes the rest more collectable. I for one don't see anything wrong with what you've done. Thanks for sharing. ::handshake::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

::tu:: Thanks!
::handshake::
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I wouldn't have done it if it were my knife but heaven knows I've done things to some of my knives that most people wouldn't do to theirs.

I think the outcome looks great!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

:lol: Thanks!
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

It's yours to do with what you please!! I like it 👍
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

First of all, ::welcome:: to the forum! Secondly, I believe in some situations you can improve on certain faults, but NOT always. I received an AGA Campolin Maltese auto that arrived in not so perfect shape, weak opening and rather poor lock-up, and after being informed that this particular model was notorious for these defects, I decided to take it apart and try to improve it's performance. BIG mistake! Not being a builder, I didn't really know what I was doing, and as a result the re-assembly was worse than the original. I tried 2 more times with similar results so ultimately decided to have a professional do it for me. The knife is currently sitting in pieces while I wait for the builder to have time to do the work, and looking back on the whole situation I wish I had left well enough alone, because the faults were really not that bad, and at least I'd of had an operational knife. On the plus side, I will be doing some customizing to my knife that will make it much nicer than the original, but overall I should have left it alone. I'm sure professionals wouldn't have had to deal with the problems I encountered, so perhaps that should have been the plan all along. Bottom-line, if you can live with it leave it alone, if not, find a pro to do the work, unless you're that pro! I think what you did looks just fine! 8)
8)
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

::tu:: Appreciate you sharing your point of view, thanks!
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I think on a more modern mass produced knife like that it's a great improvement. Especially the job you did on the fuller, 100% better! ::tu::

If it were a 100 year old specimen from a classic maker it would be another story of course, those old classics should be left as is.

Eric
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

ea42 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:02 am I think on a more modern mass produced knife like that it's a great improvement. Especially the job you did on the fuller, 100% better! ::tu::

If it were a 100 year old specimen from a classic maker it would be another story of course, those old classics should be left as is.

Eric
::super_happy::
Thanks! I appreciate it along with the advice.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

::facepalm::
So I bought this knife even though its main blade's etch was nearly unrecognizable. The reverse was engraved Genuine Antique Ivory but it too was nearly unreadable. I rubbed one side down to 8k and removed most of the degradation. I tried to save what I could of the engraving and the pitting was too deep but now at least it's readable. I plan to finish it with another stone that I don't own yet. It was also stiff, the movement was very rough opening and closing until I soaked the joints with some graphite lube. Now it feels great.

::hmm:: So what did you think? Dummy move? Trash can?
Attachments
Screenshot_20200908-164544~2.png
20200909_095651~2.jpg
Screenshot_20200908-164606~2.png
20200909_095543~2.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Just an opinion from a non-professional but, I think it looks great, ::tu:: not a dummy move, and definitely not a trash can candidate! 8)
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Did the same on a Case whittler with an ugly yellow bar etch all over 2/3 the blade. Improved it immediately. Same with yours. Looks good and clean. I think we should be able to reserve the right to mod anything out of necessity, appropriateness, or aesthetically pleasing subjectivity whenever and wherever wanted.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
eveled

Post by eveled »

I’m all for improving/ customizing knives. To make them better, looking or perform better or more unique. It’s a fun part of the hobby. You did a great job.

I have one sheath knife that I’ve re handled no less than 5 times since I got it when I was 10.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:49 pm ::facepalm::
So I bought this knife even though its main blade's etch was nearly unrecognizable. The reverse was engraved Genuine Antique Ivory but it too was nearly unreadable. I rubbed one side down to 8k and removed most of the degradation. I tried to save what I could of the engraving and the pitting was too deep but now at least it's readable. I plan to finish it with another stone that I don't own yet. It was also stiff, the movement was very rough opening and closing until I soaked the joints with some graphite lube. Now it feels great.

::hmm:: So what did you think? Dummy move? Trash can?
Looks cleaned up. Doesn't look like you damaged it though. Well done. Hey how about letting us see the tusks? Would love that. Looks like a sweet knife.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

eveled wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:10 pm I’m all for improving/ customizing knives. To make them better, looking or perform better or more unique. It’s a fun part of the hobby. You did a great job.

I have one sheath knife that I’ve re handled no less than 5 times since I got it when I was 10.
Ivoryman wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:49 pm Did the same on a Case whittler with an ugly yellow bar etch all over 2/3 the blade. Improved it immediately. Same with yours. Looks good and clean. I think we should be able to reserve the right to mod anything out of necessity, appropriateness, or aesthetically pleasing subjectivity whenever and wherever wanted.
Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:13 pm Just an opinion from a non-professional but, I think it looks great, ::tu:: not a dummy move, and definitely not a trash can candidate! 8)
Ivoryman wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:09 pm Looks cleaned up. Doesn't look like you damaged it though. Well done. Hey how about letting us see the tusks? Would love that. Looks like a sweet knife.
Thanks everyone for dropping by with your comments, I appreciate it! I'm on the road right now but I'll take some good photos of the ivory when I can later on today. ::tu::
Attachments
20200912_103301.jpg
20200912_103330_HDR.jpg
20200912_103433.jpg
20200912_103539.jpg
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

It is your knife to do with as you wish. I personally see it as an improvement! I am very much against dog fighting, and would not have kept that knife the way it was.
As others have said, if it were a 100-year old knife or had historical significance, then I wouldn't agree with altering it. Otherwise, use it and enjoy it!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beautiful knife, those old Bulldogs in ivory really grab me. Exxxxxxellllllllllllent.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Reverand wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:42 pm It is your knife to do with as you wish. I personally see it as an improvement! I am very much against dog fighting, and would not have kept that knife the way it was.
As others have said, if it were a 100-year old knife or had historical significance, then I wouldn't agree with altering it. Otherwise, use it and enjoy it!
Well Thanks BUT...😐

For clarification, the etch was not an image of fighting bulldogs. The etch, 'the way it was', was of a single-standing pit bull dog. 🕵

You didn't just happen to take an opportunity to cast aspersions, did you? 🤔
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Ivoryman wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:41 pm Beautiful knife, those old Bulldogs in ivory really grab me. Exxxxxxellllllllllllent.
Thanks! Super happy to share it with you guys!
::tu::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Loose Arrow wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:42 pm
Reverand wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:42 pm It is your knife to do with as you wish. I personally see it as an improvement! I am very much against dog fighting, and would not have kept that knife the way it was.
Well Thanks BUT...😐

For clarification, the etch was not an image of fighting bulldogs. The etch, 'the way it was', was of a single-standing pit bull dog. 🕵

No, and I apologize if it seemed that way! I must have seen the picture incorrectly - I thought it was two dogs locked together in the pic, and assumed that was why you cleaned off the etch. That was all on me!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well Thanks BUT...😐

IDK, maybe my eyes are getting old but, the etch also looked to me like it was 2 bulldogs locked in a fight, one with it's mouth clamped onto the back of other's neck! No aspirations, just how it looked to me! 8)
8)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the etch on the OP knife sure looks like two dogs to me.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Reverand wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:43 pm
Well Thanks BUT...😐

No, and I apologize if it seemed that way! I must have seen the picture incorrectly - I thought it was two dogs locked together in the pic, and assumed that was why you cleaned off the etch. That was all on me!
Thank you, I really appreciate your humility. Ever hear of Hanlon's razor?
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:54 pm
IDK, maybe my eyes are getting old but, the etch also looked to me like it was 2 bulldogs locked in a fight, one with it's mouth clamped onto the back of other's neck! No aspirations, just how it looked to me! 8)
edge213 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:15 pm Maybe I'm missing something here, but the etch on the OP knife sure looks like two dogs to me.
Yes, the opening post is of the removal of the two fighting dogs trademark on the bowie.
The knife we're discussing now is the ivory pocket knife. It had a single-standing dog.
Excuse my doodling, hope this helps clear up the subject.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200908-164544~3.png

Return to “European-made knives”