Is this Bulldog knife forum dead?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.

Bulldog Brand Knives

Bulldog Brand? Never heard of it.
7%
Know of it, that's about all
17%
Highly over-rated
3%
Just ok, nothing special
10%
One of my favorites
47%
I prefer to collect Bulldogs
17%

Total votes: 30

Loose Arrow

Is this Bulldog knife forum dead?

Post by Loose Arrow »

::dead_horse::
What is the matter with this forum? ::shrug:: I know I just joined AAPK but trying to revive these Bulldog threads is like beating a dead horse. Comments? Anyone? ::tired::
*The poll reset when I edited it, sorry.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200812-081218~2.png
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this Bulldog knife forum dead?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The Brand-Specific forums here are somewhat indicative of the popularity of various brands among forum members. If you look at the number of topics, and number of posts in each brand you’ll find a wide disparity. viewforum.php?f=55

And frankly a curiosity, at least to me, is how a brand like Parker has a dedicated brand sub-forum with only 3 topics and a few posts, when for example a seminal American brand like Cattaraugus apparently doesn’t warrant a sub-forum yet has over 4400 posts (based on “search” results) and a single Cattaraugus thread in the Knife Lore forum is 50 pages long! ::shrug::

Bulldog brand seems to have a limited number of dedicated, avid fans.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:37 pm The Brand-Specific forums here are somewhat indicative of the popularity of various brands among forum members....

Bulldog brand seems to have a limited number of avid fans.

Ken
That says a lot! ::doh:: Thank you for taking the time to provide your input. ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The issue with Bulldog, and Fight 'N Rooster for the matter, is the celluloid outgassing. They made really gorgeous knives but most collectors are too afraid they will grenade their whole knife collection. I would like bone, stag or pearl variations of each, but you don't see as many of them.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:12 pm The issue with Bulldog, and Fight 'N Rooster for the matter, is the celluloid outgassing. They made really gorgeous knives but most collectors are too afraid they will grenade their whole knife collection. I would like bone, stag or pearl variations of each, but you don't see as many of them.
Yup, got to be on top of it. Sometimes some seem to suffer from it suddenly from one day to the next. Luckily I only have a few and can still manage them effectively but my collection of stags, horns, bones and pearls has grown just because of that.

Checkout this prototype I have with what I think are genuine Red Coral covers.
Attachments
20200812_105157_HDR.jpg
20200812_104959.jpg
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

As of right now, I don't own any Bulldog knives, but when I can, I will be adding some of their knives to my collection, mainly the older ones in Stag.

While I believe that Bulldog will never reach the popularity of brands like Case, Buck, or GEC, they still maintain a small following of dedicated fans. And rightfully so.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

XX Case XX wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:01 pm As of right now, I don't own any Bulldog knives, but when I can, I will be adding some of their knives to my collection, mainly the older ones in Stag.

While I believe that Bulldog will never reach the popularity of brands like Case, Buck, or GEC, they still maintain a small following of dedicated fans. And rightfully so.

RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

The early Bulldog knives were some of the best crafted knives I have ever handled. I would say even nicer than the old Schatt & Morgan's. I am fortunate to own a few of them and they all have very strong springs and gorgeous stag. The attention to detail is superb...mirror polished blades, mirror polished liners, half stops, serrated nail nicks (match strike pull), pinched bolsters, pinned shields...so much to make you drool over. I think that one reason that forum area doesn't get much traction is that the old ones are getting harder to find. The company went under, and yes I know Frost owns the trademark but those are a whole different knife, so collectors hold on to the ones they have for a long time. And that makes it harder for those new to the hobby to become familiar with them.

This is one in my collection. Bulldog congress from 1984.
67378562_10156143652157038_2569781771893735424_o.jpg
67422858_10156143654422038_132508627368935424_o.jpg
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:55 pm
1967redrider wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:12 pm The issue with Bulldog, and Fight 'N Rooster for the matter, is the celluloid outgassing. They made really gorgeous knives but most collectors are too afraid they will grenade their whole knife collection. I would like bone, stag or pearl variations of each, but you don't see as many of them.
Yup, got to be on top of it. Sometimes some seem to suffer from it suddenly from one day to the next. Luckily I only have a few and can still manage them effectively but my collection of stags, horns, bones and pearls has grown just because of that.

Very good looking knife!👍👍
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:37 pm The Brand-Specific forums here are somewhat indicative of the popularity of various brands among forum members. If you look at the number of topics, and number of posts in each brand you’ll find a wide disparity. viewforum.php?f=55

And frankly a curiosity, at least to me, is how a brand like Parker has a dedicated brand sub-forum with only 3 topics and a few posts, when for example a seminal American brand like Cattaraugus apparently doesn’t warrant a sub-forum yet has over 4400 posts (based on “search” results) and a single Cattaraugus thread in the Knife Lore forum is 50 pages long! ::shrug::

Bulldog brand seems to have a limited number of dedicated, avid fans.

Ken

Ken-- I wondered the same thing about Keen Kutters...
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

RevolverGuy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:38 pm The early Bulldog knives were some of the best crafted knives I have ever handled. I would say even nicer than the old Schatt & Morgan's. I am fortunate to own a few of them and they all have very strong springs and gorgeous stag. The attention to detail is superb...mirror polished blades, mirror polished liners, half stops, serrated nail nicks (match strike pull), pinched bolsters, pinned shields...so much to make you drool over. I think that one reason that forum area doesn't get much traction is that the old ones are getting harder to find. The company went under, and yes I know Frost owns the trademark but those are a whole different knife, so collectors hold on to the ones they have for a long time. And that makes it harder for those new to the hobby to become familiar with them.

This is one in my collection. Bulldog congress from 1984.
67378562_10156143652157038_2569781771893735424_o.jpg
67422858_10156143654422038_132508627368935424_o.jpg
Glad to hear your sentiments :) and thank you for sharing your Bulldog with us. ::tu::
Attachments
20200812_115154.jpg
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Stanwade wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:55 pm ....
Very good looking knife!👍👍
Thank you! ::super_happy::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I have several and was pretty active for a while but I was after some very specific knives and have a good showing of those. Super knives. And sometimes budget consideration causes us to be more focused. ::handshake::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

doglegg wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:16 pm I have several and was pretty active for a while but I was after some very specific knives and have a good showing of those. Super knives. And sometimes budget consideration causes us to be more focused. ::handshake::
::tu:: Thank you for stopping by my friend. ::handshake::
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

I very much value my Bulldogs. Here are a few, including an MOP Whittler, a Stag Lockback Hunter, an MOP elephant Toe, and a Mammorth Ivory Trapper.
Attachments
DSC00220.JPG
101_5135.JPG
101_3906.JPG
101_3558.JPG
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

Found another. This is a Mastodon Ivory Elephant Toe made for the Wolverine Knife Collectors Club.
Attachments
101_3247.JPG
101_3246.JPG
Gary

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Gorgeous knife! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

::shrug::
Gary

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Since it was mentioned that Frost owns the brand now and those are completely different knives from the ones made many years ago, I think that has a lot to do w/ people losing interest in the brand. Once they get cheapened I think people get turned off. Unless you do a ton of research before you start to buy a brand, it’s easy to buy the wrong ones and then you wisen up and regret your earlier purchases. Sometimes that in itself is enough to make you give up on a brand. I think that may have something to do w/ the lack of interest in Bulldogs.
Could also be that people just aren’t posting them as much as they use to. I still see plenty of interest in the ones I have had in my store. Just sold a beautiful stag stockman a couple of days ago. The stag and pearl Bulldogs still draw lots of interest.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Like Mark said I don't buy Frost in the Bulldog Brand . The early Bulldogs are I think a Diamond in the rough you don't know how good they are until you Handle them and see how well they are made fit & Finish is top notch. The Germans do a great job on them .
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I think they have some nice looking knives...just never owned any. I enjoy looking at them. So I wouldn't really know where to place my vote.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

hardman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:45 pm I very much value my Bulldogs. Here are a few, including an MOP Whittler, a Stag Lockback Hunter, an MOP elephant Toe, and a Mammorth Ivory Trapper.
Wow! ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: ::super_happy::
That's what I'm talking about, very nice!
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

::handshake::
hardman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:06 pm::shrug::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

hardman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:56 pm Found another. This is a Mastodon Ivory Elephant Toe made for the Wolverine Knife Collectors Club.
Yours is nicer than mine! ::woot::
Attachments
20200812_180302.jpg
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:06 pm Since it was mentioned that Frost owns the brand now and those are completely different knives from the ones made many years ago, I think that has a lot to do w/ people losing interest in the brand. Once they get cheapened I think people get turned off. Unless you do a ton of research before you start to buy a brand, it’s easy to buy the wrong ones and then you wisen up and regret your earlier purchases. Sometimes that in itself is enough to make you give up on a brand. I think that may have something to do w/ the lack of interest in Bulldogs.
Could also be that people just aren’t posting them as much as they use to. I still see plenty of interest in the ones I have had in my store. Just sold a beautiful stag stockman a couple of days ago. The stag and pearl Bulldogs still draw lots of interest.
Thanks for stopping by and giving your time to share your thoughts, I appreciate it. ::handshake::

Return to “European-made knives”