25 years in a farmers pocket

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Ky wonder

25 years in a farmers pocket

Post by Ky wonder »

I am new to this forum, and noticed most photos are of knives in pristine condition.

So I thought I share the story of a 25 year old german bulldog canoe, this knife has been in my pocket for the last 25 years, it's a hard used farmers knife,

It has cut more Bailer twine, fertilize and seed bags than I ever want to open again, it has been used cleaning everything from squirrels to deer, as a tool working on numerous pieces of equipment , even cut me a few times

Loss and refound, never properly cleaned just wiped down with oily rag at times

Still snaps closed with enough force to separate a small finger if it's in the wrong place,

After 25 years ,this 1996, bulldog canoe, has lost its round shield, the etching Is unreadable these days, the date, bulldog, hammer forged blades, solingen steel marking are under quite a bit of crud

But even today my arms are hairless, where I shave them with this knife, to check for sharpness

So let's see some of your working knives
20210304_135904.jpg
20210304_135855.jpg
cudgee

Re: 25 years in a farmers pocket

Post by cudgee »

Ky wonder wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:18 pm I am new to this forum, and noticed most photos are of knives in pristine condition.

So I thought I share the story of a 25 year old german bulldog canoe, this knife has been in my pocket for the last 25 years, it's a hard used farmers knife,

It has cut more Bailer twine, fertilize and seed bags than I ever want to open again, it has been used cleaning everything from squirrels to deer, as a tool working on numerous pieces of equipment , even cut me a few times

Still snaps closed with enough force to separate a small finger if it's in the wrong place,

After 25 years ,this 1996, bulldog canoe, has lost its round shield, the etching Is unreadable these days, the date, bulldog, hammer forged blades, solingen steel marking are under quite a bit of crud

But even today my arms are hairless, where I shave them with this knife, to check for sharpness

20210304_135904.jpg20210304_135855.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Plenty here love to see old working knives, they all have some sort of personal history and could tell stories and have an emotional interaction such as the one you have posted. A lot of the knives posted are in pristine condition, but a lot are users as well. Liked your story and keep using that old Bulldog, it is like an old pick-up or tractor, just keeps going. ::handshake::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

About as old as I am, and has been used like it was intended, but it still looks great! Prices on these can be high these days. I'm looking at getting a cheap cell-handled Bulldog that has imploded (because the outgasting rusted the knives, which easily cleans off, it really makes them cheap) and then getting bone put on it to be a user. There's a mint horn-handled Fightin' Rooster here on the store for $60 that is really tempting me.

I follow the words of the late custom knifemaker Bob Loveless:
A knife is a tool, and I make ’em to be used. It burns me up that most of them wind up in velvet boxes and display cases, priced so high your average deer hunter or cowboy can’t afford ’em.

And we see this with GEC. With very few things they make, they rarely last at MSRP, with rare exceptions being the Farm and Field Tool line knives in Delrin; as well as the acrylic scaled Templars. And, I will bet you ninety out of one hundred sold never get used. Of those ninety, a lot get bought up to resell when prices get stupid. Of those ten, I bet most get used a couple times lightly (mostly just to show off) and are put away. I wanted a Calf Pen; or the two Sodbuster-type knives (Bull Pen and Bull Buster), as they were patterns that fit my needs as a farmhand, and weren't that expensive. I never really put much of an effort into getting one, and finally, early in 2020 when they finally sold out, were starting to really increase in price by 25-50% Used GECs listed at reasonable prices never last long. A guy on another forum listed a used Barlow for $50, and it sold in minutes. Take their recent Ram's Foot for example--almost $100. It copies old Sheffield-made patterns that never sell for that much. I picked up an A. Wright and Son Lambsfoot in rosewood and C-75 carbon steel for just under $30 brand new from a seller here who imports them, and it is really well made. It replaced an (also Sheffield-made) 1950s Taylor's Eye Witness in used and beat up condition I lost that cost around $15.

For a long time, I had a pretty big selection of very old knives I used to carry. While most were '50s era, some dated back to the 1920s. Most didn't cost me much, and while far from mint condition, they weren't junk either. I found many would be difficult to find another if I lost them. I found, however, most of the USA-made traditional knives that were still in my budget and could be found in stores (Utica/Kutmaster, Buck, Bear and Son, Case) never really met the quality of many of those older knives (especially Westerns). I have several Camillus and Schrade from the 1980s and 1990s mostly, but even they often never met the quality of these older knives. Queens have skyrocketed since they went out of business about 3 years ago. But, in the years prior to the Daniels Family (who also started GEC) buying up the brand, quality was spectacular.

I recently picked this one up to replace two really old Large Stockman knives (a Pal Blade Co. and a Western) that I retired, as well as a larger '90s German Buck Creek (which originally was my great-uncle's) whose celluloid handles had outgassed (and I still hadn't got the handles replaced on yet). The seller wanted just $30 for it, and I felt it was a really good deal. I didn't even pay attention to what it was or the size. I just knew Queens had skyrocketed, and Moore Makers were inflated in price.

2001 Moore Maker (Queen-made) #5304 Large Stockman. It's a very large knife at 4 3/8" closed.w But it pocket carries really well for its size (though I do prefer to use a belt scabbard intended for a Large Sodbuster-size knife) Back in 2001, only 100 were made, and they were over $100, even back then. Someone before me really used it, but took care of it. I specifically bought it to carry. It does match the quality of these very old knives. The jigged bone handles have been worn smooth, and there is a chip in the back handle.
KIMG3694.JPG
KIMG3695.JPG

I prefer to not use my pre-1960 knives (and I have some as old as the late 1880s); but anything made after 1970 usually gets used, especially if the handles are synthetic. There are some that I use (often with damaged/worn blades and large chunks out of the bone), mostly ones sold as parts, but I use and carry since they still snap well and don't wobble. I buy so few older knives that still have boxes (no more than maybe 2-3 a year), but they generally don't get carried. If it's a new-old-stock knife without a box, I do use it. The only time I won't use a knife newer than that if it bears advertising (or is a safety/production award) for companies related to my local area, especially the coal industry; and I've amassed a small collection of those.

My take is simple--after 1970, knives were often seen as collector's items and investments. Thus, more ended up in safes than people's pockets. Thus (especially with Case), if you lose one, there's a good chance you'll find another quickly. With these older knives, which were bought by workmen and used until they wore out, not likely.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Ky wonder wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:18 pm I am new to this forum, and noticed most photos are of knives in pristine condition.

If you think most knives shown on AAPK are in pristine condition, then you have not seen most of mine. lol
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:01 pm About as old as I am, and has been used like it was intended, but it still looks great! Prices on these can be high these days. I'm looking at getting a cheap cell-handled Bulldog that has imploded (because the outgasting rusted the knives, which easily cleans off, it really makes them cheap) and then getting bone put on it to be a user. There's a mint horn-handled Fightin' Rooster here on the store for $60 that is really tempting me.

A knife is a tool, and I make ’em to be used. It burns me up that most of them wind up in velvet boxes and display cases, priced so high your average deer hunter or cowboy can’t afford ’em.

And we see this with GEC. With very few things they make, they rarely last at MSRP, with rare exceptions being the Farm and Field Tool line knives in Delrin; as well as the acrylic scaled Templars. And, I will bet you ninety out of one hundred sold never get used. Of those ninety, a lot get bought up to resell when prices get stupid. Of those ten, I bet most get used a couple times lightly (mostly just to show off) and are put away. I wanted a Calf Pen; or the two Sodbuster-type knives (Bull Pen and Bull Buster), as they were patterns that fit my needs as a farmhand, and weren't that expensive. I never really put much of an effort into getting one, and finally, early in 2020 when they finally sold out, were starting to really increase in price by 25-50% Used GECs listed at reasonable prices never last long. A guy on another forum listed a used Barlow for $50, and it sold in minutes. Take their recent Ram's Foot for example--almost $100. It copies old Sheffield-made patterns that never sell for that much. I picked up an A. Wright and Son Lambsfoot in rosewood and C-75 carbon steel for just under $30 brand new from a seller here who imports them, and it is really well made. It replaced an (also Sheffield-made) 1950s Taylor's Eye Witness in used and beat up condition I lost that cost around $15.

For a long time, I had a pretty big selection of very old knives I used to carry. While most were '50s era, some dated back to the 1920s. Most didn't cost me much, and while far from mint condition, they weren't junk either. I found many would be difficult to find another if I lost them. I found, however, most of the USA-made traditional knives that were still in my budget and could be found in stores (Utica/Kutmaster, Buck, Bear and Son, Case) never really met the quality of many of those older knives (especially Westerns). I have several Camillus and Schrade from the 1980s and 1990s mostly, but even they often never met the quality of these older knives. Queens have skyrocketed since they went out of business about 3 years ago. But, in the years prior to the Daniels Family (who also started GEC) buying up the brand, quality was spectacular.

I recently picked this one up to replace two really old Large Stockman knives (a Pal Blade Co. and a Western) that I retired, as well as a larger '90s German Buck Creek (which originally was my great-uncle's) whose celluloid handles had outgassed (and I still hadn't got the handles replaced on yet). The seller wanted just $30 for it, and I felt it was a really good deal. I didn't even pay attention to what it was or the size. I just knew Queens had skyrocketed, and Moore Makers were inflated in price.

2001 Moore Maker (Queen-made) #5304 Large Stockman. It's a very large knife at 4 3/8" closed.w But it pocket carries really well for its size (though I do prefer to use a belt scabbard intended for a Large Sodbuster-size knife) Back in 2001, only 100 were made, and they were over $100, even back then. Someone before me really used it, but took care of it. I specifically bought it to carry. It does match the quality of these very old knives. The jigged bone handles have been worn smooth, and there is a chip in the back handle.

KIMG3694.JPG

KIMG3695.JPG

I prefer to not use my pre-1960 knives (and I have some as old as the late 1880s); but anything made after 1970 usually gets used, especially if the handles are synthetic. There are some that I use (often with damaged/worn blades and large chunks out of the bone), mostly ones sold as parts, but I use and carry since they still snap well and don't wobble. I buy so few older knives that still have boxes (no more than maybe 2-3 a year), but they generally don't get carried. If it's a new-old-stock knife without a box, I do use it. The only time I won't use a knife newer than that if it bears advertising (or is a safety/production award) for companies related to my local area, especially the coal industry; and I've amassed a small collection of those.

My take is simple--after 1970, knives were often seen as collector's items and investments. Thus, more ended up in safes than people's pockets. Thus (especially with Case), if you lose one, there's a good chance you'll find another quickly. With these older knives, which were bought by workmen and used until they wore out, not likely.
Great post, well thought out and presented, but i did find one major flaw in what you stated, it contains far too much common sense. ::dang:: :) Here are a couple of users that i thought you may be interested in pertaining to your post. A GEC SFO for Waynorth Cutlery, jigged bone lambsfoot, well used, patina'd up and not sitting in a bed of velvet. And the other one is an A.Wright sheepsfoot which has what many would call a major flaw, the backspring sits down a bit when in the closed position. But it is one of my favorite knives and is a work knife, extremely sharp and keeps a good edge. I have many knives from Wright's and to me they are good knives that have a bad wrap that they don't deserve.
IMAG0465.jpg
IMAG0478.jpg
IMAG0477.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Around here we like to call those HOKs. HOK= Honest Old Knife. Many if not most of us, me included, have a real soft spot for a HOK of about any brand. If the price is right I have a hard time passing them up! I’ve often said (only half in jest) that a knife doesn’t start to get good and sharp until the blade is half wore out. lol

It sounds like yours get used like mine. Feed sacks, livestock surgery, and all. That old Bulldog is a treasure. I hope it lasts you many more years.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

cudgee wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:34 pm
cody6268 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:01 pm About as old as I am, and has been used like it was intended, but it still looks great! Prices on these can be high these days. I'm looking at getting a cheap cell-handled Bulldog that has imploded (because the outgasting rusted the knives, which easily cleans off, it really makes them cheap) and then getting bone put on it to be a user. There's a mint horn-handled Fightin' Rooster here on the store for $60 that is really tempting me.

KIMG3694.JPG

KIMG3695.JPG

Great post, well thought out and presented, but i did find one major flaw in what you stated, it contains far too much common sense. ::dang:: :) Here are a couple of users that i thought you may be interested in pertaining to your post. A GEC SFO for Waynorth Cutlery, jigged bone lambsfoot, well used, patina'd up and not sitting in a bed of velvet. And the other one is an A.Wright sheepsfoot which has what many would call a major flaw, the backspring sits down a bit when in the closed position. But it is one of my favorite knives and is a work knife, extremely sharp and keeps a good edge. I have many knives from Wright's and to me they are good knives that have a bad wrap that they don't deserve.

IMAG0465.jpg

IMAG0478.jpg

IMAG0477.jpg
Those are fine looking knives! As much as I love the big ol sheepsfoot on my loomfixer I bet I’d really like one of those lambs foot beauties. I’ve heard of Wright knives, but in know nothing about my their reputation. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for one.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Colonel26 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:41 pm
cudgee wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:34 pm

KIMG3694.JPG

KIMG3695.JPG

IMAG0465.jpg

IMAG0478.jpg

IMAG0477.jpg
Those are fine looking knives! As much as I love the big ol sheepsfoot on my loomfixer I bet I’d really like one of those lambs foot beauties. I’ve heard of Wright knives, but in know nothing about my their reputation. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for one.
Mate, if you can get one, please do. You would really like it, they were generically called farmers or work knives, and that is what they are, a good sturdy work knife with a very versatile blade.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Sorry Ky wonder, did not mean to disrupt your thread, just trying to explain that plenty here, if not most do actually use their knives. ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just keep looking around Ky wonder. There are lots of honest old knives pictured in various threads, and some threads even dedicated to them. As said, most of us have several or many of them. Some collect them exclusively.

Glad to see that you appreciate an “experienced” knife. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Here's one of mine. Case 5392. (Photo courtesy of Steve, knifeaholic).

________
Mike
Attachments
EB809620-0948-4125-90D8-FAF5512E86D8_4_5005_c.jpeg
EB809620-0948-4125-90D8-FAF5512E86D8_4_5005_c.jpeg (38.78 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

XX Case XX wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:00 am Here's one of mine. Case 5392.

________
Mike
Nice old Case. ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

________
Mike
That’s beautiful!!!
Robert E. Lee
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Mike depending on what the pile side of that knife looks like, I just might nominate it for HOK of the year. Wade is one of the judges and I may have a little pull with him. We'll see. :lol:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

________
Mike
I wanted to copy Mike's pose but didn't want to stretch that spring from both ends so my spay is fully open. This is an EDC, farm used, it has opened a few bags of fertilizer, opened a few bags of seed and has opened a few deer during the years I have had it. It was bought used, it's a Queen #49.
A long way from new pristine.
A long way from new pristine.
One more that is used a lot especially during deer season is another Queen, a #39. It is well used, I had to make a small notch in the mark side handle to open the skinning blade after I lowered the point that was too proud to carry. Shaving the kick dropped the nick below the frame. :) This one belonged to a neighbor and his widow traded it to me maybe 25 years ago.
#39, well worn and still used.
#39, well worn and still used.
KY wonder, you'll find all sorts of knives here on AAPK and as you can see your old well used Canoe is welcome among all the other old knives that have worked for a living.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

philco wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:05 am Mike depending on what the pile side of that knife looks like, I just might nominate it for HOK of the year. Wade is one of the judges and I may have a little pull with him. We'll see. :lol:
I’m open to persuasion! :mrgreen:

But seriously, me and a large CASE stockman? No contest!
Robert E. Lee
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

treefarmer wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:19 am

________
Mike
I wanted to copy Mike's pose but didn't want to stretch that spring from both ends so my spay is fully open. This is an EDC, farm used, it has opened a few bags of fertilizer, opened a few bags of seed and has opened a few deer during the years I have had it. It was bought used, it's a Queen #49.008.JPG
One more that is used a lot especially during deer season is another Queen, a #39. It is well used, I had to make a small notch in the mark side handle to open the skinning blade after I lowered the point that was too proud to carry. Shaving the kick dropped the nick below the frame. :) This one belonged to a neighbor and his widow traded it to me maybe 25 years ago.013.JPG
KY wonder, you'll find all sorts of knives here on AAPK and as you can see your old well used Canoe is welcome among all the other old knives that have worked for a living.
Treefarmer
You can tell that Queen #39 has done some work and been a loyal servant. :D .
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

treefarmer wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:19 am

________
Mike
I wanted to copy Mike's pose but didn't want to stretch that spring from both ends so my spay is fully open. This is an EDC, farm used, it has opened a few bags of fertilizer, opened a few bags of seed and has opened a few deer during the years I have had it. It was bought used, it's a Queen #49.008.JPG
One more that is used a lot especially during deer season is another Queen, a #39. It is well used, I had to make a small notch in the mark side handle to open the skinning blade after I lowered the point that was too proud to carry. Shaving the kick dropped the nick below the frame. :) This one belonged to a neighbor and his widow traded it to me maybe 25 years ago.013.JPG
Treefarmer
That’s a fine old workhorse!
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Colonel, it's a strange feeling to have great regard and respect for my great old Case knives and yet mostly pick up a Queen as an EDC except on Sunday morning. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

treefarmer wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:21 pm Colonel, it's a strange feeling to have great regard and respect for my great old Case knives and yet mostly pick up a Queen as an EDC except on Sunday morning. ::shrug::
Treefarmer
I know what you mean. I’ve always considered myself a CASE man. It was ingrained in me from my earliest days. But there are a couple of “off brand” knives that I carry a lot more often than my CASEs. But it always feels strange not to slip a CASE in my pocket in the morning.
Robert E. Lee
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

philco wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:05 am Mike depending on what the pile side of that knife looks like, I just might nominate it for HOK of the year. Wade is one of the judges and I may have a little pull with him. We'll see. :lol:
I'd hold off on that nomination because there's more to this story. I don't want to mislead anyone to think I am the original owner of this knife because I'm not. The way it looks in the picture is exactly how I bought it from Steve several years ago, so it's been used by one or several other owners.

That being said, I do in fact use it. I wanted on older Case with Stag handles and Carbon Steel blades and that's exactly what I got. I don't know if that changes the criteria of the OP as it didn't specify that you had to be original owner, just that it was a user, which it is.

I posted the photo as a fine example of an older knife that was absolutely carried and used. If anyone would like to see a close-up of the other side let me know and I'll take some good photos.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Just a few of my hard working knives ::tu::
[attachment=2]IMG_6968.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=2]IMG_6968.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=2]IMG_6968.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_6968.jpeg
IMG_6990.jpeg
IMG_6994.jpeg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

That knife has at least another 25 years of use in it.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Don't hold your breath on a reply, the OP poster hasn't been back since March 7, 2021. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “European-made knives”