1979 Cargill Kansas City Knives

Bob Cargill is the man behind the Cripple Creek Knife Brand. He started out making one of a kind custom knives and eventually started making special order runs by hand under the Cripple Creek name in 1981. He specialized in high quality hand made limited runs for clubs and organizations. The brand was later sold to Blackjack Knives of Effingham, IL who commissioned Queen Cutlery to produce them in larger quantities.
bkazz5

1979 Cargill Kansas City Knives

Post by bkazz5 »

I have acquired 6 knives that were made for the 1979 Kansas City Knife Makers Guild. All six knives were made by Bob, all are pearl, all have file worked back springs, all are blade etched Kansas City 1979, all have Bob's side lock mechanism, and all are tang stamped Cargill and then in small letters pat. pending which I assume is in reference to the side lock mechanism. I am trying to gain some knowledge on these knives. Are they one of a kind? Were there multiple sets? Most of Cargill's/Cripple Creek club knives indicated that they were "1 of ___" and often times tang stamped to indicate which number knife it was in the run. These knives do not have any such tang stamp. If anyone has any knowledge of these knives or has even seen them before, I look forward to your replies.
Attachments
6 pearls closed.jpg
6 pearls open.jpg
blade etch.jpg
Tang Stamp.jpg
Tang Stamp.jpg (24.66 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
little nick

Re: 1979 Cargill Kansas City Knives

Post by little nick »

YOU Have an amazing set of knives there CONGRATULATIONS !! These were made pre cripple creek area when Bob was a custom knife maker and case repair man incredible find !! To the best of my knowledge the numbers are very low if not one of a kind?? And to all have the patented Cargill side lock in truly amazing!! This is a pic of my one of a kind Cargill, thanks for posting these pics they bring back a lot of GREAT memories !
Attachments
CARGILL SODDY 023.JPG
bkazz5

Re: 1979 Cargill Kansas City Knives

Post by bkazz5 »

I remember seeing pics of your cargill soddy in one of the other cripple creek threads. Great looking knife and very nice to have a one of a kind. Here's another that I wonder if is a one of a kind. It is a three blade sowbelly with damascus blades, file work backsprings, and rams horn handles. I've not seen another like it but there may be others out there.
Attachments
Ram Front.JPG
Ram Back.JPG
Ram File Work.JPG

Return to “Cripple Creek”