Cripple Creek Barlow

Bob Cargill is the man behind the Cripple Creek Knife Brand. He started out making one of a kind custom knives and eventually started making special order runs by hand under the Cripple Creek name in 1981. He specialized in high quality hand made limited runs for clubs and organizations. The brand was later sold to Blackjack Knives of Effingham, IL who commissioned Queen Cutlery to produce them in larger quantities.
Drukai

Cripple Creek Barlow

Post by Drukai »

So I just purchased this knife today a Barlow, this is my first post so not sure if I can get pics to load yet..but it's a 2 blade Barlow in strawberry bone. On the secondary blade it has a 84 w/circle around it does that mean made in 1984? Any info would be great this knife is very well made and I don't think it will be my last cripple creek
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Cripple Creek Barlow

Post by deo-pa »

Welcome! Hope you become a regular visitor and contributor as there is no better way to become a knowledgeable knife collector.

::welcome::

You probably know about the history of Cripple Creek, but in case you don't here is an overview: http://knifetalkin.blogspot.com/2013/08 ... tlery.html. An expert will come along soon and confirm the fact, but I think you are correct that this is a 1984 production. As the article above notes, the early year CCs are well respected and have increased substantially in value. The new ones, much less so.

Be sure to read this post as well, with words right from the founder himself, Bob Carghill: viewtopic.php?t=13559&start=15

Note that both of these URLs are years old so no doubt there is more to the Cripple Creek story that others can enlighten us on.

Dennis
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Drukai, thats an awesome barlow. Thanks for posting
Monte
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Thanks for the reply guys. I have been in to traditional knives mostly GEC and a couple Cases. For about the last 3 years or so but being at this knife show and running into a cripple creek collector. And hearing a little about Bob Cargill makes me respect these knives even more.. They really seem well built I handled quite a few and was very impressed. Got to also meet Ken Daniels from Queen at the show. Very nice guy to talk to and knowledgeable to say the least.
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

It is a 1984 and a well built knife. IF you find a Cripple Creek in good condition at a reasonable price I would
20160125_195113.jpg
recomend buying it.
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Wow those are some beauty's..what would you consider a fair or good price on Bobs Cripple Creeks..I know it involves models etc..let me know I am loving his knives and want to get a few more! Thanks

bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Just like most knives there are lots of variables when it comes to price. The normal things like condition, handle material, pattern will come into play but with Creeks the other thing to consider is where it was made. Lockport, IL; Old Fort, TN; or Effingham, IL. Also Bob's knives that have a Cargill stamp rather than a Cripple Creek stamp will typically be more valuable. There is also some pretty good documentation on production totals. There are many patterns that have very low production which will also affect the price. I can provide you with some production total info. Message me with your e-mail address and I will send you some info. Here's a few more pics of some of mine.
Attachments
2014-05-30_22-02-55_357.jpg
2014-05-14_21-47-00_890.jpg
Hawkeye pair.jpg
Green River set of 3.jpg
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Those Green bone are beautiful! Jealous of your collection, Bob has great style in his knives!

Return to “Cripple Creek”