Jumbo Trapper

Bob Cargill is the man behind the Cripple Creek Knife Brand. He started out making one of a kind custom knives and eventually started making special order runs by hand under the Cripple Creek name in 1981. He specialized in high quality hand made limited runs for clubs and organizations. The brand was later sold to Blackjack Knives of Effingham, IL who commissioned Queen Cutlery to produce them in larger quantities.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Jumbo Trapper

Post by 1967redrider »

bkazz5 wrote:Very nice. I've been collecting Cripple Creek/Cargills for a while. That 1983 honey bone with two blades is a pretty limited production. Yours has the large etch so only 25 made. Here's some production info from one of Levine's guides.
bkazz5,

What Levine's book is that from? Or is it in all of his books? I have 2 of his books at home but I don't recall, off hand, seeing this listing. Thanks!

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I have Levine's #3 and there is a one page article by Houston Price about Cripple Creek knives. Page 122
There is no specific production data.
Joe
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Not sure what edition it is but here's the cover. She's a little worn. There are a few pages dedicated to Cripple Creeks in this edition. And another pic. This is kind of the smaller version of the jumbo trapper. Cargill referred to this as a LI 1 dog leg jack . You can see in the production list the knives are listed as LI-1, LI-2, etc. The LI stands for Little Indian. Alot of Bob's knives had Indian themes.
Attachments
20170607_074047.jpg
20170108_181526.jpg
20180303_193934.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Another beautiful knife.

Thanks bkazz5.
Joe
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Yes that jumbo trapper is great! I think everyone needs at least on Cargill Cripple Creek in their collection. Especially if you enjoy slip joint knives!
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I agree, now that I have one. ::tu::
I didn't know what I was missing. ::nod::
Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

bkazz5 wrote:Not sure what edition it is but here's the cover. She's a little worn. There are a few pages dedicated to Cripple Creeks in this edition. And another pic. This is kind of the smaller version of the jumbo trapper. Cargill referred to this as a LI 1 dog leg jack . You can see in the production list the knives are listed as LI-1, LI-2, etc. The LI stands for Little Indian. Alot of Bob's knives had Indian themes.
Thanks! ::handshake::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

FRJ wrote:I have Levine's #3 and there is a one page article by Houston Price about Cripple Creek knives. Page 122
There is no specific production data.
Thanks! ::handshake::

Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

Great piece love the handle!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Hideaway Knives wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:47 pm Great piece love the handle!
Sorry it took so long for me to respond, Hideaway Knives, I didn't know you had posted here.
Thanks for the comment.
Joe
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Reminds me of the song, "Fat Bottom Girls". :lol: :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Cripple Creek”