Carbon steel or stainless steel?

Bob Cargill is the man behind the Cripple Creek Knife Brand. He started out making one of a kind custom knives and eventually started making special order runs by hand under the Cripple Creek name in 1981. He specialized in high quality hand made limited runs for clubs and organizations. The brand was later sold to Blackjack Knives of Effingham, IL who commissioned Queen Cutlery to produce them in larger quantities.
DavetheGuy

Carbon steel or stainless steel?

Post by DavetheGuy »

What type of steel did Bob Cargill use for the blades on his knives?

Did he ever make a muskrat pattern?
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Carbon steel or stainless steel?

Post by Railsplitter »

I don't know if Bob ever made a Muskrat pattern but I own and have used and sharpened one of his knives. I'm pretty sure it's carbon steel. Whatever it is, it holds a great edge.
Attachments
IMG_4284.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

2012-12-03_20-47-37_647.jpg
I am certain that most all Cripple Creeks from the Cargill era (1980 - mid 1990's) are carbon. There may have been a few exceptions. When Cripple Creek started there were 10 standard patterns in the knife line up. Bob referred to them as the ten Indians. One of the the standard patterns was a muskrat. Here's a 1983 muskrat in stag.
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

This one is carbon starting to get a nice patina holds a pretty decent edge too...if I was a betting man I would say 1095 or a 10 series carbon..
Attachments
A2660420-4DB8-472F-B125-4D12CE40A023.jpeg
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)

Return to “Cripple Creek”