Deer Antlers

This is a place for posting non-knife related items you have available for trade. If you see something you want, be sure to make a trade offer. Your offer can include a knife, knives, or pretty much anything within the limits of the law.
keithlong

Deer Antlers

Post by keithlong »

I am looking for some deer antlers. I know that some of you here use them for knife handles, and a lot of you know that I make ink pens from them. I have been making pens for 10 years now and while this past year I have been under the weather due to an automobile accident Mother's Day 2018, I did mange to make a few pens. I am in need of some deer antlers. I am wanting to trade a nice pen made from antler for some antler. So if you have some lying around and are not going to use em, please let me know.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
kootenay joe

Re: Deer Antlers

Post by kootenay joe »

What size antler works best ? slender tine ? or a thicker one ? And what length do you need to make a pen ?
kj
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Hey KJ, thicker ones do better and length from 3 -6 inches long, also can use slightly curved pieces.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have lots of whitetail antlers and a few elk, but i live in Canada and it is illegal for antler to enter USA without permission from 2 Federal Departments. I once had some antlers i had sawed up to fit into a fairly big box and was driving to Northport, WA. to mail them to Bruce Bump. The USA border guard refused me entry until i took the antlers back into Canada and left them there.
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I just picked up some stag, from a liquidator, that stated they got these from the Queen Cutlery, closing auction. They are a little small for most of my knives...but are really nice for smaller knives. I bet these would be a great size, for pen use. At $2.50 per piece...it's some pretty nice stuff. I don't know if that's more than you were wanting to put in to your pens...but it is nice!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pc-REAL-2-1 ... Sw5N1dFnPe
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Thanks Doc for the link, but those are not thick enough.
KeithLLong

Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Ahhh... ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

KJ, that is a bomber, I had a connection with a deer processor that would trade me the unwanted antler after the season was over and the hunters would not come back and get them. Then a couple of years ago, someone went around and started buying them and paying high prices for them. Do not know what they were planning on doing with them but it is impossible to make pens out of some of the antler pieces.
KeithLLong

terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I know this is an older post , but do you still need deer antler pieces, if so give some measurements of what you need, I am a knife maker and have a lot of pieces or whole antlers. I have white tail, mule deer, elk, and some African odds and ends. Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Terry, thanks for responding, I can use pieces that are 3/4 thick by at least 3 inches long or longer. No preference on what kind, any will do.
KeithLLong

terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Keith let me go out to the shop and see what I can come up with, I'll send you some photos , maybe you should send me your email. thanks, Terry
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I have 7 pieces ready to send you if you want them. $1 each plus shipping of $7, so $14 shipped to you. It's hard to get any antler piece straight for more thant 3 or 4 inches. I have include on big horn tip that I think you can use also.
Attachments
DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0022.JPG
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

antler pieces are SOLD thanks for looking.
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Hey Terry, sorry about so late getting back with you. I see that you were able to sell these. Glad you were. I will get back with you later on about some more.
KeithLLong

terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Keith, let me know by email if you need something, terryl@daltontel.net

Return to “Off Topic Trading Post”