Unusual KA-BAR Skier's Knife

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Unusual KA-BAR Skier's Knife

Post by knifeaholic »

Just picked this up.

I have never seen or heard of this knife before, though I have owned Kabar scout/utility knives with similar construction and red handles, imprinted with CAMP KNIFE or some other imprints.

The main blade is a clip, the broken blade is a can opener.

The others are odd - I assume that the wide blade is for spreading or scraping ski wax. The smaller one looks like a type of punch and is marked UNION CUT Co.
Attachments
IMG_4135.JPG
IMG_4134.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Elvis

Re: Unusual KA-BAR Skier's Knife

Post by Elvis »

I thought I'd worked on just about every kind of knife Kabar had ever made when I was doing their repairs, but that's a new one on me. :shock: I guess they tried to make a knife for every purpose and not all skier's carry Swiss Army Knives.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Elvis wrote:I thought I'd worked on just about every kind of knife Kabar had ever made when I was doing their repairs, but that's a new one on me. :shock: I guess they tried to make a knife for every purpose and not all skier's carry Swiss Army Knives.
Bob; check your email.

Steve
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Actually I think it is a Russian copy of a KA-BAR knife and they left a space between the letters incorrectly.It should read KA-BARSKI ! :mrgreen:

Seriosly Steve that is one unusual knife.Is the secondary blade curved along the length? It appears to be in the picture.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Elvis wrote:I thought I'd worked on just about every kind of knife Kabar had ever made when I was doing their repairs, but that's a new one on me. :shock: I guess they tried to make a knife for every purpose and not all skier's carry Swiss Army Knives.
Have you ever seen one of these Bob? KA-BAR floating fixed blade with cork handle and the blade cut out in the center to lighten it.EDIT:Some people have theorized that the cutout was to be used as a shackle key on a sailboat but they are usually tapered and much smaller.
Attachments
KABARFloater2.jpg
KABARFloater1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”