Ka Bar Hunter

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
atrco

Ka Bar Hunter

Post by atrco »

Hi: can anyone tell me the approximate date of manufacture of this knife? when did KaBar stop actually making knives in Olean NY?
Attachments
Ka Bar Hunter.jpg
Ka Bar Hunter.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ka Bar Hunter

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
atrco

Post by atrco »

hi: do you know about this ka Bar? i see a reference to a #72 pattern. is that what this is?
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

I don't know very much about KA BAR, dating wise?

Here is a tang stamp chart in this thread http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... &mode=view

My gut tells me that the knife isn't more than 30-40 years old, if that. The chart really doesn't tell me much either?

I have been wrong before?

I will say that it is a nice knife and I would imagine that someone will give you the info you need. Just give it time ::tu::
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

This is from kabar.com
If the blade of your knife is marked with a four-digit code, you may be able to find it on the list here.
http://www.kabar.com/content/files/Hist ... ricing.pdf
If you can't find a product code, we may be able to help you identify your knife using photos. Please shoot both sides of the blade, note any unique markings, measurements, etc, and send it to info@ka-bar.com. Please allow a couple weeks for a response... sometimes these things are really tough to pinpoint.

Here's a link to Kabar history to find out when and where they made or stopped making knives.
http://www.kabar.com/history

If your knife has 11/77 stamped on the back of the tang then it was made from the mid 60's until 1978. It's last retail price was $12.50.
Attachments
KA-BARHunter036_zps338ad5f8.jpg
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

No, I'm sorry. Anything I would say about your Ka-Bar Hunter would be pure speculation. The reference you see in my signature is to a Camillus #72 Carpenter's and Whittler's knife which I collect.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
atrco

Post by atrco »

Thanks for the response very much from all that replied. i have some homework to do. i suspect the knife was made in the 60's or 70's, but i'll dig into these files you sent.

best regards
Duke Biscotti

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”