Two 1184 Kabars, similar but different

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Two 1184 Kabars, similar but different

Post by treefarmer »

What can anyone tell me about these two 1184 Kabars?
The lighter colored knife appears to have delrin handles with one pin, the darker one, 3 pins in the handles but I'm not sure of the handle material. The bolsters are totally different and the darker handled knife is much thinner over all.
I guess they were made in different periods and one is an "improvement" over the other or is it the opposite, a cheaper produced knife with same model number? Any thoughts on age of either?
Thanks,
Treefarmer
Attachments
005.JPG
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
006.JPG

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
buck16
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Two 1184 Kabars, similar but different

Post by buck16 »

Both, in my opinion, are delrin. The lighter appears to have shorter secondary blade. A coupla other things but I'll let others respond.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

How can I tell the age of my knife?
If the blade of your knife is marked with a four-digit code, you may be able to find it on the list here. If you can't find a product code, we may be able to help you identify your knife using photos. Please shoot both sides of the blade, note any unique markings, measurements, etc, and send it to info@ka-bar.com. Please allow a couple weeks for a response... sometimes these things are really tough to pinpoint.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Kabar knives are often very difficult to date. As buck16 said they are both delrin.

I do not recall ever seeing a Kabar with a script stamp and pattern number that had a natural handle material other than genuine stag. I would say the bottom knife is the newer of the two. It is quite different in the configuration of both the head and tail end bolsters. Just like the Case 65 pattern folding hunters I think the scalloped head bolster indicates an earlier knife.

Not a Kabar expert by any means though I think there are some here that would qualify as such.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's already been noted that both handles are Delrin® so no more needs to be said about that. When in doubt Philip, use this image and your 45x microscope to differentiate bone from Delrin® (or other synthetics) It makes life a lot easier.
Comparison Bone vs Delrin.JPG
Besides the other differences that have been mentioned, take a look at the blades. At least in the pictures, the saber grind is slightly different on the main blades and the main blade spines have a different profile from where the swoop to the point starts, back to the tang. It also looks to me like the jigging of the Delrin® is slightly different.

My hypotheses is they were made by different companies.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Another Knife Collector

Post by Another Knife Collector »

I agree, they are both different eras and different manufacturers, by those years Ka-Bar was more heavily involved in contracting out its knives.
-Phil
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks for the help and advice ::handshake:: ! I understand the practice of contract knives and found not too long ago my 1st Robeson was really a Camillus ::mdm:: . Is there a good chance these 2 Kabars were also a Camillus produced pieces?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

treefarmer wrote:Thanks for the help and advice ::handshake:: ! I understand the practice of contract knives and found not too long ago my 1st Robeson was really a Camillus ::mdm:: . Is there a good chance these 2 Kabars were also a Camillus produced pieces?
Treefarmer
Lower one at least is Camillus - note the lack of handle pins
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

knifeaholic wrote:
treefarmer wrote:Thanks for the help and advice ::handshake:: ! I understand the practice of contract knives and found not too long ago my 1st Robeson was really a Camillus ::mdm:: . Is there a good chance these 2 Kabars were also a Camillus produced pieces?
Treefarmer
Lower one at least is Camillus - note the lack of handle pins
Wouldn't that make it a Schrade? ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”