Help identifying my ka-bar??

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Trevordogg22

Help identifying my ka-bar??

Post by Trevordogg22 »

Hey everyone. I've got a Kabar that my father gave me when I was a kid. It didn't have a box or paperwork, pretty sure it was a hand me down from his father. I've used this knife for years. Recently the one side won't close all the way or open all the way. I've tried finding similar knifes to identify it. Closest I can find is maybe a serpentine stockman? I'm hoping someone can help? I would like to know as much as I can about it and if it's worth having it fixed. Thanks for any help.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Help identifying my ka-bar??

Post by TripleF »

No clue what model it is, but is the spring broken?
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Trevordogg22

Post by Trevordogg22 »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that might be the issue. It doesn't "lockback" into place. It just opens up.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I don't know for sure without having it in my hand, but I would say that pivot pin for that blade has been mishapen. It looks like someone center punched the pin. If that's the case they could deformed the pin. Repining might be in order. However that's just a guess. Others will be along that may able to shed more light on it. Pics of the back springs and a pic of the affected end of the knife would help for sure.

Randy
wlf

Post by wlf »

Welcome
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Trevordogg22

Post by Trevordogg22 »

Here are more photos of the side that won't open all the way.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Looking at those pics it looks as if the tang on that blade could be worn down a lot. The tell tale sign is the way the back spring sits low in the frame. You see how different it is from the other end where the blade sits properly. However the thing that grabs my attention is the pivot pin for that blade. It could be that someone changed the blade and that it isn't right for that frame. Its been worked on. The pivot pin sits proud on both sides. The pin has been changed and possibly the blade as well.

Randy

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”