KA-BAR Quality question

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
leggo

KA-BAR Quality question

Post by leggo »

I'm considering buying a new KA-BAR 2 blade barlow, any comments on the quality or collectability of these new copper dog head knives ? I have only 2 examples of a K knife..its a Elephant with the UNION sheild ,and a USMC Fighting Knife , I'm happy with their quality. Any comments are appreciated ::tu:: ::td::
Attachments
1455077987077.jpg
1455078132386.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: KA-BAR Quality question

Post by treefarmer »

I've been given a couple of the Kabar Marine Corps knives, the recently manufactured one, they seem to be fine. I also have several older Kabar folders that are of good quality in my way of thinking. The new Kabar catalog shows there are now USA Kabars and there are imported Kabars, don't know if they are the same quality or not. The elephant toe looks mighty good!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
leggo

Post by leggo »

Thanks treefarmer , the Barlow says it's U.S. made, but I'll make sure it's 100% American before I buy it. I really like the USMC fighting knife quality,mines a modern one ,I keep it on the nightstand...(incase a burglar forgets to bring one of his own) ::paranoid:: . The elephant is a 2011 1 of 500, the picture doesnt do it justice ,it's a root beer brown bone.
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Someone else with more info on these things will probably chime in But I am fairly certain the Ka-Bar Barlows were made by Canal Street Cutlery - I have no experience with their quality - my assumption however would be they would be very good.
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
leggo

Post by leggo »

BrumbydownUnder you are probably right I think because the Canal Street is making the Union Cutlery serial numbered 500 piece Limited Edition Tru-Blue Razor Knife for A.G.R. , it's a Ka-Bar and it's U.S. made.. ::tu::

I'm editing my post 10 minutes later...I just called A.G.R. and the said they are 100% U.S. made so I ordered the 2 blade Barlow and the 3 blade Stockman . ::ds:: I've always love dogs !
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I recently received these from AG Russell. Two Kabars and a War Eagle Blades barlow. The one on the right is the WEB barlow. Made in china. Both Kabars are sweet knives! I also have two other dog head barlows that were issued for their 100th ann. Both are yellow handled. One is a one blade the other is a two blade barlow. I will try to get them out and post some pics.

Randy
20160219_210017.jpg
leggo

Post by leggo »

#goldpan wrote:I recently received these from AG Russell. Two Kabars and a War Eagle Blades barlow. The one on the right is the WEB barlow. Made in china. Both Kabars are sweet knives! I also have two other dog head barlows that were issued for their 100th ann. Both are yellow handled. One is a one blade the other is a two blade barlow. I will try to get them out and post some pics.

Randy
The attachment 20160219_210017.jpg is no longer available
Goldpan I went ahead and got the Coppersmith Dogs Head Barlow and a 3blade Stockmam Coppersmith from A.G. Russel too I really like the Barlow ,and I still haven't opened the Stockman box (delayed gratification) :D it has a upc label on it ,and I dont want to cut it just incase I decide to trade it for something.
Is your Union Elephant one of the serialized ones with a certificate ?
I'd like to see your yellow handle Barlows.
Attachments
1457930244614.jpg
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

"Is your Union Elephant one of the serialized ones with a certificate ?
I'd like to see your yellow handle Barlows."

Yep, my E Toe is one of the serialized ones with a COA. I'll try to dig my other barlows out and snap a pic!

Randy
leggo

Post by leggo »

#goldpan wrote:"Is your Union Elephant one of the serialized ones with a certificate ?
I'd like to see your yellow handle Barlows."

Yep, my E Toe is one of the serialized ones with a COA. I'll try to dig my other barlows out and snap a pic!

Randy
Cool . I like knives with the yellow handles. So far I only have 2 knives with yellow handles.
I got serial # 356 of 500 ,year 2011 on the Union Elephant.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Check out this scratch and dent sale at http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/83
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Since we're talking about Ka-Bars and where they're made, does anyone know who was making their knives when this stag handled, dog's head stockman was made. I've had it for more than eight years but don't remember when I picked it up.
Attachments
Kabar.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
leggo

Post by leggo »

A G Russell maybe ? That's where I got mine recently.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

leggo wrote:A G Russell maybe ? That's where I got mine recently.
A.G. Russell doesn't make knives. I'm looking for the manufacturer. Sorry I wasn't more clear.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
leggo

Post by leggo »

It was clear enough ,I read it wrong. Where instead of when.
Yes I know they don't make KA-BAR , they do make knives at their shop in Rogers Arkansas occasionally.
RU-TC975-DI , RU-U712BKOD ,M15-154-SCR are 3 that I know of .
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Jerry; Camillus made those along with some stag dog head trappers.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
big monk

Post by big monk »

Hey guys -- this one maybe one of the Camillus made too ??? what do you think ?? got it in a trade a few years ago** ::shrug::
Attachments
IMG_0002 (3).JPG
IMG_0005 (2).JPG
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Steve. No wonder it's so well made.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I finely found my 100 year anniversary dog head barlows! Both have an etch on the master blades. The etchings are faint but they are there!

Randy
20160320_184209.jpg
leggo

Post by leggo »

Those are really nice Randy ! ::tu::
Now that's a pair to draw to.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”