KA-BAR Swing Guard lock folding hunter

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
jmam7516

KA-BAR Swing Guard lock folding hunter

Post by jmam7516 »

Hello, I am looking for some help in figuring out a couple curiosities on my recently acquired KA-BAR Swing Guard lock hunter. First of all there is no rear stamp on the tang. I would assume this would put this knife in the 70's as far as a manufacture date. In addition to having the original patent date on the floating guard / lock, there is a small "CS" on the same side. Also the front bolster is numbered "014". One would tend to think this knife may have been part of a set. Hoping someone might have insight as to the stampings and the knifes value as I have not encountered a great deal of these folding guard locks. Thanks in advance, John
Attachments
102_8678.JPG
102_8679.JPG
102_8680.JPG
John
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: KA-BAR Swing Guard lock folding hunter

Post by peanut740 »

Recent production.I don't know exact dates but less than 10 years old.They were nicely done reproductions.
Roger
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

It's their Union Cutlery 110th anniversary swing guard. They also made a trapper and a Pig Sticker fixed blade. Check this link out from Tomars.
http://www.tomarskabars.com/6110_INFO.html

Ka-Bar Swing Guard, Dog Head Limited Edition Series, 1 Blade Lockback, D2 Steel

Ka-Bar Dog Head Swing Guard Limited Edition Lockback. Ka-Bar's history goes back to the Tidioute Cutlery Company, which was founded in Pennsylvania in 1898. Out of the failure of that company, the Union Razor Company was formed in 1902. The name was changed again in 1909 to Union Cutlery Company then moved to Olean, New York in 1910. The Ka-Bar trademark was introduced in the 1920's and around 1942 the company submited a Ka-Bar branded knife to the U. S. Marine Corps. The Ka-Bar knife became so well known and so important to the company, that in 1952 the company name was changed to Ka-Bar Cutlery, Inc.

In recognizing their 110th Anniversary, Ka-Bar has introduced three limited edition reproductions of knife patterns produced during the Union Cutlery years. These knives are marked with some of the same marks used in the early 20th Century. The blade steel is D2 at 58-60 Rc., the handle scales are Roofline Licorice Jigged Bone with nickel silver Dog's Head inlay, bolsters, caps and guard. The liners are brass. Each knife is serial numbered on the bolster or guard. Made in the U. S. A. This is a standard Clasp Knife of the period with a unique Swing Guard that also serves as a blade lock. The locking guard is stamped with "Pat'd Dec 4, 1923" the date of the original patent for the guard. Marked Ka-Bar -- Reg. U. S. Pat. Off. on the obverse side of the blade. Measures 5-5⁄16" closed with a 4-1/4" clip blade. Limited to only 500 pieces. Weighs 5.7 oz.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
jmam7516

Post by jmam7516 »

wazu013, thank you for the information and the link. clearly this is the knife I have, it is quite a bit newer than i had thought. any thoughts as to what the "CS" on the guard / blade lock would denote?
John
jmam7516

Post by jmam7516 »

peanut740, thank you for your thoughts. wazu013 nailed it with his link to Tomars, knife is definitely recent.
John
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

jmam7516 wrote:wazu013, thank you for the information and the link. clearly this is the knife I have, it is quite a bit newer than i had thought. any thoughts as to what the "CS" on the guard / blade lock would denote?
I don't know why the CS is stamped on the guard but it is stamped on my knife as well. It may have been put there by Canal Street if or when they made the knife. I'll see what I can find out ::tu::
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Here's an original for comparison.
Attachments
20160408_101856.jpg
Roger
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Roger, very nice old Kabar dog's head folding hunter ! ::tu::
Pseudonym

Post by Pseudonym »

jmam7516 wrote:wazu013, thank you for the information and the link. clearly this is the knife I have, it is quite a bit newer than i had thought. any thoughts as to what the "CS" on the guard / blade lock would denote?
"CS" = "Canal Street"...
jmam7516

Post by jmam7516 »

PEANUT740, THANK YOU FOR POSTING A PHOTO OF AN ORIGINAL PIECE. GREAT TO SEE THE OLD STUFF. AND THANKS TO PSEUDONYM FOR THE CANAL STREET REFERENCE.
John
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I would like to see one of those that's been lovingly converted to an auto. ::tu:: ::nod::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here's my original.
Attachments
KABAR12-4-23 5.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Fine knife. ::tu::
Roger
stagnut

Post by stagnut »

To Captain 0
I converted one of these for a customer.
Exposed rocker with the dogs head shield as the release button. I used the back spring as the kick spring.
Attachments
kabar front.jpg
kabar front.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
kabar back spring.jpg
kabar back spring.jpg (14.38 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

stagnut wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:37 pm To Captain 0
I converted one of these for a customer.
Exposed rocker with the dogs head shield as the release button. I used the back spring as the kick spring.
Very cool Stag! I'm wondering where you are located because I have a few manuals I'd like converted? I'm in Canada so unless you are too I would have a big problem with Customs. Please let me know! 8)
8)
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

Don’t knock yours! Great knife!
You have to be trusted by the people that lie to you. So that when they turn their backs on you, You'll get the chance to put the knife in….

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”