Cleaver Knife

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
chorizotaco

Cleaver Knife

Post by chorizotaco »

Hello

I've been an observer for years. I collect Kabar and Case. I recently acquired this piece and was wondering if anyone had any more information. I know the date range but other than that nothing.

Thank you for any help.

Thank you.
IMG_6619.jpg
IMG_6623.JPG
IMG_6624.JPG
IMG_6625.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cleaver Knife

Post by btrwtr »

Very unusual knife and I can't imagine KA-BAR produced very many of these. Model # 22106. Most of the cherry tree chopper type knives made back in the day had smaller hatchet heads than this knife. I would think the survival rate would be rather low because the frames would not stand up to heavy use and chopping. Not many of these floating around out there.

Hope you have a big strong pocket for it. ::tu::
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Thank you.

Correct, here are my two AX7. These are axe heads and that is a cleaver. Weighs almost 11 oz!!
IMG_2094.jpg
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I hate to say it, but I think this knife may not be original. I have seen the cleaver blades on Imperials and Colonials before, but never on a KA-BAR. I also have never seen a KA-BAR knife-axe combo knife in stag, only bone. There are no catalog references I know of with a cleaver model nor a stag axe version. The knife shown here has a lot of wear on the blades but not on the handles or bolsters looking like a knife that has been worked on.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Not sure where this picture originated from but it's in THE OFFICIAL GUIDE TO COLLECTOR KNIVES eighth edition. This book is credited to the late Jim Parker and he was s self professed KA-BAR collector. The stag handles, rather than jigged bone would be appropriate for the KA-BAR USA stamp.

From the looks of the OP knife as well as this picture I would say if indeed real they were produced only for a short time, 1950's guesstimate.
Attachments
IMG_5989[1].JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Very cool Wayne!! I had not seen that before. KA-BAR over USA would be very late 1940s-early 1951 since the mark changed to Kabar lower case italicized with the company name change to KA-BAR Cut Co from Union Cut Co in 1951.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Cool knife for sure. Not sure how practical it is. I doubt many sold. Still a neat piece. Thanks for sharing it.
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Thanks everyone, it's good to finally hear some official Kabar talk. I have others I'll share and also ask questions.

Thank you.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”