Legitimate Kabar Fish Knife?

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
zzyzzogeton

Legitimate Kabar Fish Knife?

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Is this a legitimate Kabar fish knife from way, way back or is it a fake? Just curious is all. The starting price is way beyond what I would pay for an old used folding knife.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kabar- ... Swo4tZkIVH

2 concerns I have about it are --

1- the lack of a hook straightening hole in the pommel end bolster - every other Kabar folding fish knife I can remember seeing has a hole in the mark side of the pommel end bolster

2 - the deeply stamped KABAR on the blade way out under the nail nick. I have never seen one stamped like that before.

I'm more of a fixed blade guy than folder guru so I readily admit there's a ton of Kabar stuff I don't know, re: folders, but these two items raise a red flag in my mind.
Gunsil

Re: Legitimate Kabar Fish Knife?

Post by Gunsil »

Yup, right as rain. It isn't really a fish knife as the seller says, it is merely a tickler and a fairly rare knife. The seller is nuts if he thinks he will get his money for a knife with no snap but he has had it on for at least six months. KA-BAR did put the stamp out on the blade for a short while, nobody I know knows exactly when or why but I think it was likely very early on when the KA-BAR brand was first adopted. I have seen several other models with the KA-BAR out on the blade and have seen a few with the blade snapped off at the stamp so I guess they found out it was a bad place to stamp them.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”