Coke Bottle ?

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Sambroak

Coke Bottle ?

Post by Sambroak »

Can anyone provide any info on this knife? An old family friend who passed many years ago gave this knife to my father to give to me on my 18th birthday. My dad just found it recently and gave to me (I’m 45 now).

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
D57AFAA7-842F-4233-BA9B-F77CC6B1A120.jpeg
5CEFA128-7453-4F15-A5B4-2038F26DCCC9.jpeg
FRJ

Re: Coke Bottle ?

Post by FRJ »

Welcome here, Sam.
Nice old knife you have there.
How long is it closed?
It is a "Swell Center" pattern.
A swell center hunter.
I don't know the age or value.
Joe
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Was once a proud old KA-BAR from the 1930s. Sadly the blade is very worn and re-shaped, the pivot pin has been replaced and the handle scales have also been replaced. Likely make a good user, doesn't have a lot of collector desirability.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Ditto what Gene said. ::welcome:: to AAPK.
Roger
Sambroak

Post by Sambroak »

FRJ wrote:Welcome here, Sam.
Nice old knife you have there.
How long is it closed?
It is a "Swell Center" pattern.
A swell center hunter.
I don't know the age or value.
It's 5 1/4" closed, 9" long. Not concerned about the value, just curious on the age, I remember looking at it as a young child and couldn't even open it up. Completely forgot about it until my father put it in my hand and when he did it brought tears to my eyes. The man it belonged to was a great guy, taught my brother and I a lot from tying knots to skinning a squirrel and rabbit hunting with his dog Chance. The coolest thing about him is he had 2 thumbs.
Sambroak

Post by Sambroak »

Gunsil wrote:Was once a proud old KA-BAR from the 1930s. Sadly the blade is very worn and re-shaped, the pivot pin has been replaced and the handle scales have also been replaced. Likely make a good user, doesn't have a lot of collector desirability.
I remember my father mentioning something way back in the day that TK (original owner) made something for it, maybe it was the scales. I'm just wondering the rough age of it, value for me is all in the memories.
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

::shrug:: I've got two thumbs...
Sambroak

Post by Sambroak »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:::shrug:: I've got two thumbs...
They you would be only the second person I have met that has 2 thumbs, and the second coolest person .. ::tu::
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Sambroak wrote:
SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:::shrug:: I've got two thumbs...
They you would be only the second person I have met that has 2 thumbs, and the second coolest person .. ::tu::
Sam, do you mean 2 thumbs on one hand, or maybe 2 thumbs only with no fingers? Two hands with one thumb on each hand for a total of 2 thumbs is typical and the reason (I'm guessing) that SteelMyHeart mentioned that he has 2 thumbs.
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

::tu:: ::watching_you::

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”