A new to me Kabar 637-6 sheath knife

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
steve99f

A new to me Kabar 637-6 sheath knife

Post by steve99f »

This was in my mailbox this morning when I went out to get the newspaper. I've attached a couple of seller's pictures, a AAPK store owner. Also posted in the fixed blade forum. I hope Gene will take a look at this and let me know what model name Kabar had on this knife, if any. It came without a sheath so if anyone has a sheath marked Kabar of the appropriate era (20"s I think) :shock: i'm interested.
Attachments
Kabar 637 6 d.JPG
Kabar 637 6 b.JPG
steve99f
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A new to me Kabar 637-6 sheath knife

Post by btrwtr »

Nice looking old KA-BAR Steve. Just curious, is the pattern # stamped on the guard?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thanks Wayne, it is marked on the guard. There is a pic of that view in the fixed blade forum.
steve99f
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Hi Steve, your knife was called "Old Boy" in Union Cut's first outdoor knife brochure which was published in late 1923 or early 1924. They were also available with 5" and 7" blades, the 7" ones being quite rare. With stag scales it was a model 267, and they were also made for a while with flat ground blades which carried an F suffix or say a model 637 F-6 for a six inch blade flat ground bone handled one. They used a couple different types of bone over the years too, yours has a very nice style. They are not considered to be in the "sticker" class of knives but are "bowie hunters" to most fixed blade guys. If you look up ebay item 113457824139 which sold a day or two ago you will see what the correct sheath looks like. This is the proper pattern sheath and proper age although your knife could have come in the same shaped sheath with KA-BAR in large print in a dentate oval sideways on the sheath. I may have a suitable one, will have to look. I got my tables reserved for Lewisburg, hope the weather cooperates and hope to see you out there. I didn't see you at Allentown in Dec, I didn't find anything I needed but two guys told me they each had a great knife for me but had forgot to bring them.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

That is a great looking knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Gunsil wrote:Hi Steve, your knife was called "Old Boy" in Union Cut's first outdoor knife brochure which was published in late 1923 or early 1924. They were also available with 5" and 7" blades, the 7" ones being quite rare. With stag scales it was a model 267, and they were also made for a while with flat ground blades which carried an F suffix or say a model 637 F-6 for a six inch blade flat ground bone handled one. They used a couple different types of bone over the years too, yours has a very nice style. They are not considered to be in the "sticker" class of knives but are "bowie hunters" to most fixed blade guys. If you look up ebay item 113457824139 which sold a day or two ago you will see what the correct sheath looks like. This is the proper pattern sheath and proper age although your knife could have come in the same shaped sheath with KA-BAR in large print in a dentate oval sideways on the sheath. I may have a suitable one, will have to look. I got my tables reserved for Lewisburg, hope the weather cooperates and hope to see you out there. I didn't see you at Allentown in Dec, I didn't find anything I needed but two guys told me they each had a great knife for me but had forgot to bring them.
Thanks Gene for the name designation. There was a 267 stag model that just sold on the bay this week. I'd be interested in that sheath. I did miss the Ag Hall show Gene. just forgot about it. That's a tough date for me as I'm just back from hunting in NC PA. Maybe I can get out to Lewisburg, I'll have to check the dates. Is it soon?
steve99f
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thats a nice one Steve, I love those older Ka-Bar fixed blades. Thanks for sharing!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Steve, Lewisburg is Feb. 23 and 24th, still two months away. I am chomping at the bit, I haven't set up at a show since last May. Just hoping for a good weather window since crossing the Poconos in late Feb can be tough and the show doesn't get as good a turnout if it snows hard that weekend. It may be a smaller show but I always have a good time there. I think all tables will sell out again this year and there will abundant goodies. There will be an Allentown show the previous week I think and I may go there to see one of the guys who told me they had a fantastic KA-BAR I would like.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I'm gonna try to make that show. That's right around my birthday so I think I'll need to think about a birthday present.
steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

#goldpan wrote:Thats a nice one Steve, I love those older Ka-Bar fixed blades. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Randy, there is something about these old knives with bone handles I just like. ::tu::
steve99f

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”