Union Cut Co-Scout

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
KleenCut61

Union Cut Co-Scout

Post by KleenCut61 »

As Found Scout ! :D Exact Pattern is a Mystery To Me , I Have nothing earlier Than 1925 in the Form of Reference's, Length 3 5/8 Closed.. Some Pitting , Not a scratch anywere :shock: Blades full Factory Edge! , I am First Person to Pull up the Master Blade on this Piece , ENJOY .. p.s. Whats with the square Hole? Thanks in advance K.C.
Attachments
IMG_0140 (2).JPG
IMG_0137 (2).JPG
IMG_0135 (2).JPG
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0131 (2).JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
RalphAlsip

Re: Union Cut Co-Scout

Post by RalphAlsip »

KC, nice find and beautiful knife! I believe it dates from approximately 1910 to 1925. The tang marks are very crisp. ::tu:: ::tu::

I believe the picture below is your knife in a Union Catalog I happen to have. I doubt if the bail being on a different end in the catalog cut as compared to your knife means anything regarding authenticity.
Attachments
Union Scout in Catalog.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Square hole is a "Prest-O-Lite" key, used for opening up the acetylene tanks that fueled the headlights in early cars. Don't know where it is, but I have an old beer opener with one in it.

That's a nice find! I have never seen one of these as a "Boy Scout" just a plain "Utility".
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Prestolite wrench for carbide lamps on early autos, motorcycles and even bicycles. I believe it controls the drip valve of water onto the carbide. This can be googled. Not for roller skates!
edit: two typers out there! :lol:
Millions of knives were made with a reference to the Boy Scouts, for marketing purposes, and I guess nobody could stop them, but "official Boy Scout" knives are something quite different.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

K.C. that's a great find! Grand old knife company and that prest-o-lite key is fabulous! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

RalphAlsip wrote:KC, nice find and beautiful knife! I believe it dates from approximately 1910 to 1925. The tang marks are very crisp. ::tu:: ::tu::

I believe the picture below is your knife in a Union Catalog I happen to have. I doubt if the bail being on a different end in the catalog cut as compared to your knife means anything regarding authenticity.
Thank You Jerry , Jerry Could you give me an Estimated Value ? Fir Insurance Purposes :D 3 Blade w the Key Is out of the Norm but Really Cool .K.C.
Attachments
From My 1925 Cat .
From My 1925 Cat .
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice find and looks to be in great shape! ::tu:: Be sure to post it in the Scout Knives thread too. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12874#p103392

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

cody6268 wrote:Square hole is a "Prest-O-Lite" key, used for opening up the acetylene tanks that fueled the headlights in early cars. Don't know where it is, but I have an old beer opener with one in it.

That's a nice find! I have never seen one of these as a "Boy Scout" just a plain "Utility".
Thanks Cody . Its my First Union , and I am really impressed with the Make & Maker . Had it in hand less than 24 hrs .. ::tu:: K.C.
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Thank You Calvin And Greg .. ::tu:: Looks to only be 4 models made at the time ,May be the start of something good . ::tu:: ...K.C.
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Not very find and looks to be in great shape! ::tu:: Be sure to post it in the Scout Knives thread too. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12874#p103392

Ken
Most likely an old safe queen flushed out of hiding by my accounts :mrgreen: . Thanks again Ken ::tu:: , Down the Road and cross the street i go :lol: K.C.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

She's a beauty! Seems like that was an expensive knife for that era? $30
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Doc B wrote:She's a beauty! Seems like that was an expensive knife for that era? $30
That's $30 a dozen.
Roger
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

peanut740 wrote:
Doc B wrote:She's a beauty! Seems like that was an expensive knife for that era? $30
That's $30 a dozen.
Ahh...thank you! I had just run that through an inflation calculator...in 1925 that would have been equivalent to $432 today. Now it makes sense!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Thanks Doc B By the Dozen Would have put it at the competitive price of $2.50 a pricey sum at the time I am sure , My late Uncles WWII Enlistment Paper's Put His tank crewman Salary at $7.00 a week .. Yikes!! ::tu:: K.C.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”