Kabar Kamper

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
steve99f

Kabar Kamper

Post by steve99f »

I fished this out of the 'bay today and have attached a seller's picture. You can see the blade etch, the checking on the handle looks well cut and fairly sharp yet. The stamps apparently show Union Cutlery on both sides. Does this stamp indicate a pre Kabar knife? See sellers picture. Looking forward to getting this in hand. I know the sheath has seen better days but is it likely to original to the knife?
Attachments
Union Cutlery Kamper no Kabar stamp.jpg
steve99f
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Kabar Kamper

Post by doglegg »

Looks like you scored a keeper there Steve99f ::tu::
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thanks doglegg, can't wait to get it in hand.
steve99f
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Nice one Steve, I had my eye on it but I have several already. I believe it is pre 1923, I have them with the Union, Olcut, and KA-BAR stamps and they all have KAMPER marked sheaths. I also have a couple marked with retailer names on the ricasso. Going to Allentown next weekend?
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I have my dollar discount coupon ready to go Gene. Will be there Saturday morning if the weather doesn't go silly. I saw one like this posted in this forum marked OlCutt in another thread.
steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

While at the Lewisburg show, Gene and I talked about the handle material of the Kamper model. I thought it was a wood, like ebony or cocobolo. Gene didn't think so. Just so happened that another dealer had one with a damaged handle, a piece had been knocked off. The handle is hollow and so a molded product, probably bakelite, which was in wide use then. Just for the record.
steve99f

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”