Kabar T-75 rehandle.

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
knife7knut

Kabar T-75 rehandle.

Post by knife7knut »

Bought a T-75 at an estate sale the other day that was out-gassing pretty badly. Couldn't let it go to waste as the stainless blades were completely unaffected by the out-gassing. I have a couple of T-75's already but they have the older tang stamp(KA-BAR).
The handles looked like they were cracked ice rather than the traditional yellow but they may have just lightened up a bit. Anyway they got torn off in a hurry and the knife thoroughly cleaned.I use an old toothbrush with Mother's Mag Wheel Polish after I had scraped the residue off the liners. Noticed one of the liners had cracked from the out-gassing and the back springs which are carbon steel were pretty well corroded.Mostly surface stuff though. The crack shouldn't be a problem as the new covers will be epoxied on.
The only handle material I had at the moment was some dark blue Plexiglass which I have used before with good results so I elected to go with it.The material is just a little bit thicker than needed so the sanding was kept to a minimum.Drilled the holes for the pins and cut the pieces to fit between the bolsters. Roughed them down using my 1x30 belt sander and a couple of files.Finished up with a fine file and then 320 wet-or-dry sandpaper and buffed with the Mother's. I still have to cut the groove for the hook sharpener but that can wait. Here are some before and after shots.
Attachments
KabarT-75FishKnife$5 001.jpg
KabarT-75FishKnife$5 002.jpg
KA-BARTangStamp2.JPG
T-75Repair 002.jpg
T-75Repair 003.jpg
T-75Repair 006.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Tony_Wood

Re: Kabar T-75 rehandle.

Post by Tony_Wood »

Good save! Should make many more years of usefulness.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Very nice job! I would never have thought of using plexiglass but it looks great on that knife. I may try it in the future.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

herbva wrote:Very nice job! I would never have thought of using plexiglass but it looks great on that knife. I may try it in the future.
Thanks for the kind words. I usually have quite a bit of leftover Plexiglass and Lexan scraps from various sign jobs that I do(I'm a semi-retired sign artist).Lexan is actually better;especially if you use "optical grade" which is exceptionally clear as opposed to regular Plexiglass.With the colored Plexi it doesn't matter too much. The only caveat is when you cut it(I usually use a Zona saw which has very fine teeth)or drill it,go very slowly and use a hand drill;not a powered one as it breaks readily.When polishing do it by hand. A powered wheel will melt it very fast.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Knice looking rehandle Knife7knut. ::nod:: ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Looks better than new to me!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Looks nice! Ready for shore duty! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

You did a great job saving that one from the scrap heap, it looks great! ::tu::
Fishing knives are one of my favorites, I have a few but I swear I’m not a collector!
24500D45-D0B6-47BC-97E5-2597E8DE9A34.jpeg
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
eveled

Post by eveled »

You really saved that one! Well worth the effort. It came out great and the blades look new. Love it.
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

Jeffinn wrote:You did a great job saving that one from the scrap heap, it looks great! ::tu::
Fishing knives are one of my favorites, I have a few but I swear I’m not a collector!
Jeffinn, if you do decide to collect fishing knives it looks like you'd know how.

Every old fishing knife should be so lucky, knife7knut. That's a fine job.
geocash
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Jeffinn wrote:You did a great job saving that one from the scrap heap, it looks great! ::tu::
Nice assemblage! Sounds like the old Red Green Mantra:" I'm a man...I can quit.....anytime......if I have to....." :mrgreen:
I have a few myself.
Attachments
MachToolBox5Drawer6 001.jpg
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

knife7knut wrote:
Nice assemblage! Sounds like the old Red Green Mantra:" I'm a man...I can quit.....anytime......if I have to....." :mrgreen:
I have a few myself.
LOL! I used to watch The Red Green show all the time.
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”