Union Cutlery Co woodcraft type fixed blade

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
steve99f

Union Cutlery Co woodcraft type fixed blade

Post by steve99f »

Got this today from seller in Ohio. In really nice shape although buffed some. Has a 4 3/8" blade and an OAL of @ 8 1/2 inches. No Kabar stamp. The handle is leather washers with red spacers and what looks and feels like a stone of some type, and brass spacers on either side of the stone like spacers. A plastic maybe? Came with a sheath that is unmarked but in nice shape, likely not original to the knife. I've attached some pictures. If anyone knows what that light colored spacer material is, I'd like to know too. I also noticed there is no kick on this knife. Is that factory?
Attachments
IMG_2752.JPG
IMG_2754.JPG
IMG_2755.JPG
steve99f
Gunsil

Re: Union Cutlery Co woodcraft type fixed blade

Post by Gunsil »

Hi Steve, blade is sown a fair amount, should be wider. When new this knife had a big etch that said "TRADER" across the blade. The green spacers are celluloid. I am unsure what you mean by knife having no "kick", kicks are for folding knives to keep the blades from hitting the inside of the springs. Most of these I have seen had the Olcut stamp but I do have one with etch stamped the same as yours.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Hi Gene

I looked for an etch on a hunch but I didn't know it should have been Trader. In any case, no remaining etch left on the blade. Given the measured blade length of 4 3/8" it should have been 4 1/2"?

What I meant by kick is choil. I knew kick wasn't right but couldn't come up with the term. Sucks getting old. Well I'm sorry I don't have the etch, that would have been nice. Next time. Thanks for responding Gene, hope you are well.
steve99f
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Steve, they didn't have choils either, no real need for them. I will try to photo and post some pics tomorrow of a couple of full bladed ones. Are you going to the Forks of the Delaware show Sat? I may try to get down there, I'm out of good bacon, and maybe I'll find a knife.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Here are a few with the etch and more full blades. Steve, you can see there was no choil and most Union Cut/KA-BAR hunter will not have one, especially the model 72 which is the KA-BAR designation for this knife. I think the ricasso on yours was altered a little to match the straightness of the blade rather than match the curve as seen on the ones I show. Top two marked Olcut, bottom one marked Union Cutlery Co.
DSCN3934.JPG
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Gunsil wrote:Steve, they didn't have choils either, no real need for them. I will try to photo and post some pics tomorrow of a couple of full bladed ones. Are you going to the Forks of the Delaware show Sat? I may try to get down there, I'm out of good bacon, and maybe I'll find a knife.
I'll try to get there as its the only gun show I look forward to anymore. Being Mother's day weekend I'm not sure what might be in the works. A distant medical issue keeps my wife tied up in NJ. I'll post back here when my schedule firms up.

With you posted pictures, I can see that the my blade is down and you're right about the ricasso.
steve99f
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I hope your missus is OK Steve!! I know, those Forks guys have got to have some big cajones since they always have a show on mothers day weekend and another on Valentines weekend. Man I have taken flak for going on Valentines weekend!
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I think those Forks guys do it on purpose. The December show is tough for me too since it usually follows the first week for deer hunting here in PA. I will go on Saturday this weekend. Gene PM me your cell #. I had to replace mine and lost all my contacts. Never said I was smart. :D

Good thing we married understanding females Gene. My wife is fine, its our brother in law and her sister. The BIL has a cancer, pretty advanced. He's battling it. My SIL isn't all that healthy herself and caring for John is more than she can do without some help. So Lu helps.

I'm going Saturday. See you there. That top Trader you showed is real nice.
steve99f

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”