KA_BAR sales knife

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: KA_BAR sales knife

Postby FRJ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:08 am

Thank you, Roland. When do you think my knife was made?
It wouldn't surprise me if Camillus made this knife.
I can't keep up with all the histories but I understand there was a lot of jobbing going on.
I'm not familiar with the Moore Maker connection.
Joe

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:57 am

Camillus was making knives for Moore Maker of Matador Texas from the early 1990's. I am not familiar with the history of Kabar other than they stopped making folding knives about 50 ? years ago. Camillus made many (or all) of the Kabar branded folding knives since then. More than 50% of the Camillus output was contract work, i.e. knives that have some other company's name on them.
Up until Camillus closed in 2007, they made all of the knives with synthetic handles for Moore Maker and Queen made the M.M. knives with stag or horn handles. Hence my see through lock back could have been made by Queen or Camillus. As Camillus was also making Kabar knives it seems likely that Camillus made both of these see through lock backs.
However as with much of knife history, a logical assumption is not always correct.
kj

FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby FRJ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:05 am

Thank you, Roland.
Joe

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”