Another KA-BAR/Union Cutlery hunting knife

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
steve99f

Another KA-BAR/Union Cutlery hunting knife

Post by steve99f »

Picked up this cell handled KA-BAR at the Lehigh Valley Knife show last weekend. 4 inch flat ground clip blade very slightly up-swept, mottled green or brown cell handle with a slightly triangular pommel from aluminum. I'd like to know what model this is and if the sheath is factory. The sheath isn't marked "KA-BAR" and the snap button isn't marked either but seems like a nicely made item. Based on reviewing past posts here and in the fixed blade forum, I think this may be a late 30's knife. The slightly triangular pommel makes me think so. Also, no model mark on the guard. OAL is 7.75 in. Thanks for looking.
Attachments
Kabar resize.jpg
KaBar resize b.jpg
steve99f
Eye Brand Man

Re: Another KA-BAR/Union Cutlery hunting knife

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Nice ::nod:: Sheath looks original to me. Its constructed just like others marked kabar.
Eye Brand Collector
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thanks EBM. I found this photo that Gene posted awhile back that confirms your statement on the sheath construction from what is visible. Knife looks the same too except for the handle. The photo and knife pictured is gunsil's.
Attachments
GUNSIL PHOTO 22814 KABAR FORUM.JPG
GUNSIL PHOTO 22814 KABAR FORUM.JPG (33.43 KiB) Viewed 2791 times
steve99f
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Hi Steve, looks like you found a nice one! You know I am off fishing and don't have my brochures handy to give you a model number. 99.9% OF ALL KA-BAR sheaths are marked. There are a few really early and a few WW2 era knives that had unmarked sheaths but you knife does not fall in those categories. The one in the box you show has a KA-BAR/Union Cut snap. Does your sheath have a smooth or rough back? I tend to think it is a repro sheath but may have to see it in person.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Eye Brand Man wrote:Nice ::nod:: Sheath looks original to me. Its constructed just like others marked kabar.
It is constructed just like pretty much any knife sheath by any company. There are small nuances in IDing sheaths like a smooth or rough back which we can't see here. There are also quite a few guys making replacement sheaths for various old knives and they are very close to originals except they don't have the factory stamping on the leather or a company marked snap. They also usually don't use a a smooth back like KA-BAR did in the 30s and KA-BAR was the largest maker of sheaths with smooth backs made from multiple pieces of leather (not simple folded over sheaths).
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Hi Gene, hope the fish are biting for you. The sheath has a smooth, finished back, looks like the front. The condition of knife and sheath looks like a good match.

The construction of this sheath looks like there are two pieces of backing leather sewn together, you can see a seam. Then the front piece, one layer, is sewn to the other. Factory or not, happy to have it. ::tu::

Safe travels Gene and thanks!
steve99f
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Steve, the smooth back is a good sign it is a KA-BAR sheath, oddly unmarked. Fishing slow so far but I have a couple weeks left.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

That's encouraging Gene, thanks.
steve99f

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”