Old Dogs, help please

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
chorizotaco

Old Dogs, help please

Post by chorizotaco »

I belong to several online groups and a couple of people posted some old Dogs that I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them. I decided to ask here because it's a great learning for all of us.

Stag Folder with bail - I looked in my material and couldn't find anything but man this is a great stag LARGE trapper. Anyone seen one? Looking at the blades someone has worked on them a little so I wonder if it was "put together"?
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Here is an old fixed blade with the Bear medallion in the handle. I've never seen one like this but he sent me a pic of someone else that had one so I guess these were from the factory with the medallion.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Thank you.
Gunsil

Re: Old Dogs, help please

Post by Gunsil »

Dan, stay away from the trapper, the main blade is re-shaped and the bail is not original although the lanyard hole is. The bear shield hunter you show was introduced in 1926 along with the Grizzly switchblade. Those trappers are rare, really rare in stag and are usually very high end knife in fine condition.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

One of those bear shield hunters was on ebay recently. I wondered if it was real or not.
steve99f
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Thanks Gunsil I'll pass along the info.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

The old trapper is neat. Master reshaped worked on. It would still be a neat old knife laying in your old knife box. I have a few sharpened down and reshaped. Probably will never find better ones.

Harold

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”