Humpback Jack

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Drukai

Humpback Jack

Post by Drukai »

Have heard that Bob Cargill designed his 1982 Knife World Humpback Jack off a old KaBar pattern knife. I have seen the Union 1989 KaBar HMP knives, but have never seen an original of the pattern...anyone have a picture or is info on Cripple Creek false on the knife world design coming from a old KaBar pattern.
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Humpback Jack

Post by knifeaholic »

From the 1925 Kabar catalog.
Attachments
KA-BAR Catalog 1925.jpg
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Awesome thanks for the picture. I’m assuming they are pretty hard to come by?
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Well I got a Humpback Jack with Praire jigged bone, it’s a beautiful knife! I believe it is stainless steel but don’t know much more info other than it was made in 1989. If anyone knows a bit more about these HMP89 knives I’m all ears really enjoi any knife history. Thank you also I will still be on the hunt for an original KaBar humpback jack knife. Such a unique pattern in my eyes and perfect size to carry in the pocket!
Attachments
B88B9AA5-84EC-4FEC-AE22-2BBEBD5A41BB.jpeg
89FFD4C2-1D17-4625-ACFE-09BF81567B87.jpeg
DC061359-8CC9-4BF5-B795-79CE3ED88172.jpeg

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Knice looking knife Drukai. ::tu::
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Thanks Dogleg I really like the bone..seller said it’s Praire Jigged bone(color). It’s screams 1980s at me I love it. ::groove::

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I really like the looks of this pattern.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking knife and cool pattern. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Thanks, fellas I really think it’s a winner would be nice for Case, GEC or any other traditional manufacturers to do a run of this pattern. Keep it interesting something different! But I’m sure tooling manufacture of new stuff is expensive...But a country boy can wish ::ds::

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Drukai wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:25 pm Well I got a Humpback Jack with Praire jigged bone, it’s a beautiful knife! I believe it is stainless steel but don’t know much more info other than it was made in 1989. If anyone knows a bit more about these HMP89 knives I’m all ears really enjoi any knife history. Thank you also I will still be on the hunt for an original KaBar humpback jack knife. Such a unique pattern in my eyes and perfect size to carry in the pocket!
Niiiiiiiice!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Drukai wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:25 pm Well I got a Humpback Jack with Praire jigged bone, it’s a beautiful knife! I believe it is stainless steel but don’t know much more info other than it was made in 1989. If anyone knows a bit more about these HMP89 knives I’m all ears really enjoi any knife history. Thank you also I will still be on the hunt for an original KaBar humpback jack knife. Such a unique pattern in my eyes and perfect size to carry in the pocket!
Your bone humpback was issued to KCC (Kabar Collector Club) members in June of 1989. The jigged bone was the standard issue. The deluxe humpback was a green smooth bone (attached pic) with etching on the main blade and limited to a 500 piece run. If you wanted the jigged bone you could buy that for $33. To get the deluxe model (HMP89 DL) you had to buy both for a total of $71. Hope this helps.
1989 humpback.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

chorizotaco wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:55 pm
Your bone humpback was issued to KCC (Kabar Collector Club) members in June of 1989. The jigged bone was the standard issue. The deluxe humpback was a green smooth bone (attached pic) with etching on the main blade and limited to a 500 piece run. If you wanted the jigged bone you could buy that for $33. To get the deluxe model (HMP89 DL) you had to buy both for a total of $71. Hope this helps.

1989 humpback.jpg
Good looking knife
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Mr. Chorizotaco thanks so much for the info! That green bone looks great, were these actually made by KaBar or sourced out to Queen or Case to make the KaBar club knives?

chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Drukai wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:39 am Mr. Chorizotaco thanks so much for the info! That green bone looks great, were these actually made by KaBar or sourced out to Queen or Case to make the KaBar club knives?
It's my understanding most (if not all) of the KCC knives were made by Queen. There is a person on eBay that just bought out a lot of Queen's inventory. I picked up some Dog Heads she had....
dog head.jpg
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

I believe Gunsil has this pattern from the Union Cutlery days, I can try and find his pictures but would rather let him chime in
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

OK PD, here it is. Full blades but some jerk had to buff the scales and wash out the bone detail. Was glad to get it, hard to find pattern. Smaller knife at 3 & 1/4". Photos make it look black but it is brown, too much sun glare.
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Gunsil wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:31 pm OK PD, here it is. Full blades but some jerk had to buff the scales and wash out the bone detail. Was glad to get it, hard to find pattern. Smaller knife at 3 & 1/4". Photos make it look black but it is brown, too much sun glare.

IMG_0559.jpgIMG_0560.jpg
NICE!!!! :shock: :shock:
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

My HMP89
Attachments
KA-BAR HMP89 (1).jpg
KA-BAR HMP89 (2).jpg
KA-BAR HMP89 (3).jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier