Kabar Union Hobo

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
chorizotaco

Kabar Union Hobo

Post by chorizotaco »

I just got my first Kabar/Union Hobo with a box...model 6360. The Kabar stamp is pretty normal but the Union stamp is arched. Does that give a better date range? In reading through some threads I believe this is considered Rogers Bone, is that right? This hobo is in excellent condition. Dan
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Kabar Union Hobo

Post by kennedy knives »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

That's a beauty! ::tu::
Tim
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Great find! That’s a beauty. To answer your question, I wouldn’t classify that as Rogers bone. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=45098 Others may disagree. What is the closed length? Does it slide apart? Many if not most of them do.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Nice set Dan!! That is not Rodgers bone which was made by the Rogers company. Union/KA-BAR used their own bone and it changed several times over the years. All of it was extremely good looking bone, in my mind much nicer than Rogers. I do tend to think the knife is a mismatch, put together from a KA-BAR and an earlier Union since the arched Union mark was discontinued well before the KA-BAR brand was adopted. I could be mistaken, but all I have seen and owned have the straight line Union mark on the fork. The separate parts and even the boxes without knives do come up for sale on occasion.
Froe

Post by Froe »

That's real prize. Beautiful.
Froe
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Gunsil wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:24 am Nice set Dan!! That is not Rodgers bone which was made by the Rogers company. Union/KA-BAR used their own bone and it changed several times over the years. All of it was extremely good looking bone, in my mind much nicer than Rogers. I do tend to think the knife is a mismatch, put together from a KA-BAR and an earlier Union since the arched Union mark was discontinued well before the KA-BAR brand was adopted. I could be mistaken, but all I have seen and owned have the straight line Union mark on the fork. The separate parts and even the boxes without knives do come up for sale on occasion.
I was wondering about that. The bone matches really well though. Maybe the Union was found and just used....yeah that’s what happened! :D :D
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:38 pm Great find! That’s a beauty. To answer your question, I wouldn’t classify that as Rogers bone. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=45098 Others may disagree. What is the closed length? Does it slide apart? Many if not most of them do.

Ken
Yes it does slide apart just didn’t take a pic, brass liners. The spoon appears to be aluminum is that right? It’s not magnetic at all.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I think this one I have has the same bone as yours Dan. Different pattern but the fork has the straight Union stamp Gene mentioned.

Ken
Attachments
AB41D354-057B-44F4-B379-25A96CD70B7B.jpeg
EA732A0D-8B64-4F72-AD60-B8DF74A8EA4F.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Love the big dog hobo Ken, yours is much more shiny than mine. Dan, the spoons are never aluminum, they are nickle silver, an alloy nickel and copper that contains no silver. Aluminum would just be too weak.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Nice find on the hobo with box!

I have owned a number of Unoin/KA-BAR slot knives and can't recall if I've ever had one that had the arched stamp on the fork. Here are 4 including a yellow celluloid with and unmarked fork. The bomb shield fork is marked "PAT NOV 5TH 1907" and I believe this is the earliest of the 4 hobos shown.
Attachments
IMG_1804.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:38 pm Great find! That’s a beauty. To answer your question, I wouldn’t classify that as Rogers bone. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=45098 Others may disagree. What is the closed length? Does it slide apart? Many if not most of them do.

Ken
Ken the closed length is 3 3/4". That's what the book says it should be for a 6360.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

No Hobo could afford any of those beauties !!
Here's a black bone, tang stamped: UNION CUTLERY Co. Fork is stamped: PAT. NOV. 5th 1907
All great stuff ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_1768.jpg
IMG_1769.JPG
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Hey guys nice bunch of old slot knives.

Harold
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Here's an unused rarer stainless version that came with a leather knife purse. Also the big KA-BAR "Sportsman".
0DEBCBC0-2EC7-4164-AF04-590D8B03CF71.jpeg
0DF35C5E-526D-46AA-A090-9EE04907A815.jpeg
BE2D5186-3ADB-43BB-9C69-7170EDE28BC7_1_201_a.jpeg
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Capture.JPG
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Gunsil wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:24 am Nice set Dan!! That is not Rodgers bone which was made by the Rogers company. Union/KA-BAR used their own bone and it changed several times over the years. All of it was extremely good looking bone, in my mind much nicer than Rogers. I do tend to think the knife is a mismatch, put together from a KA-BAR and an earlier Union since the arched Union mark was discontinued well before the KA-BAR brand was adopted. I could be mistaken, but all I have seen and owned have the straight line Union mark on the fork. The separate parts and even the boxes without knives do come up for sale on occasion.
Okay Gene here's my question.

I've attached pictures of the fork so my question is if the arched Union stamp was well before Ka-bar how is it that the KA-BAR shield is attached to the fork with the Union stamp? It doesn't look to have been messed with and the shield is pinned to the fork. Could they have found an old Union fork and built this set?
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

You have a good point Dan. Just plain odd to see the arched mark on a KA-BAR branded product. Slot knives are the easiest knives to swap blades/handles on though.
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Gunsil wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:37 pm Here's an unused rarer stainless version that came with a leather knife purse. Also the big KA-BAR "Sportsman".

0DEBCBC0-2EC7-4164-AF04-590D8B03CF71.jpeg0DF35C5E-526D-46AA-A090-9EE04907A815.jpegBE2D5186-3ADB-43BB-9C69-7170EDE28BC7_1_201_a.jpeg
What year is the SS one? It's gorgeous!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Thanks Dan!! No idea of the year, KA-BAR/Union Cut used stainless early on. No way to date them exactly to a given year, but pre 1941.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Gene that stainless and Sportsman are super!

Here is a knife that has been in my shop for so long I can't remember where I got it. It didn't have and scales on it and I finally got around to putting some bone on it. The bone is KA-BAR factory bone but certainly not as old as the knife is. Hard to find UNION TIDIOUTE stamp. Patent dated 1907 and knife likely made very shortly after that date.
Attachments
IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Fantastic old knife and great job on the bones. ::nod::

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”