Union folder help

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
chorizotaco

Union folder help

Post by chorizotaco »

Well I picked up a gorgeous Union folder but I’m concerned on a couple of things.

1. The blade alignment is off, could this be normal in a knife this old?
2. There is a crack in the bone but it’s hard to tell. I paid over 100 should I be concerned?

This is my first Union (maybe) so I don’t know what to expect so any help will be appreciated.

Dan
6CCDFFB2-02C1-471A-BDCD-FBBCD053850C.jpeg
D9103B75-2C82-493B-87D1-173C58BC7E92.jpeg
256B20D2-A217-4D00-A339-42908875CB56.jpeg
54C16892-2831-46E8-AE94-18697EC64277.jpeg
1C604000-7B78-4316-92E2-70003933ECAD.jpeg
Attachments
D4C43AC5-6309-4B02-A48E-5C77C308EB16.jpeg
Doc B

Re: Union folder help

Post by Doc B »

CT,
IMHO, it looks like the "crack" depicted would be pretty stable, left alone. Is there any side-to-side play in the blade? It looks like the spacing, along the spine....between the spring and liner, may be contributing to the alignment. If there is play...peening the pins could potentially tighten it up. Is that a bonded repair, at the back pin? It's a nice looking old knife!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Doc B wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:57 pm CT,
IMHO, it looks like the "crack" depicted would be pretty stable, left alone. Is there any side-to-side play in the blade? It looks like the spacing, along the spine....between the spring and liner, may be contributing to the alignment. If there is play...peening the pins could potentially tighten it up. Is that a bonded repair, at the back pin? It's a nice looking old knife!
Great eye I hadn’t seen that one. There is no side to side play but you have to help the blade close. I have not oiled/cleaned any before I decide to send back.
Attachments
EF2E5529-84E6-46E2-B678-2F1C98736AA3.jpeg
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

If there's no side-to-side play, I probably wouldn't peen it. Whoever repaired it did a very good job of matching the jigging.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Dan, it looks like the frame is tweaked or bent, might be why the blade is offset to the spring. If you have to push the blade closed there may be a pivot pin problem too. I don't know how much over a hundred you payed, but remember a mint one would likely bring close to 800 bucks. Sorry I didn't get back to you on your e-mail, my computer is giving me fits, it will receive mail but won't send. Personally I would shy away from it but I do have some pretty worn knives in my collection too, sometimes it is nice to have an example when one cannot find a nice one and you need to fill a spot in the collection.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Looks like the backspring rises and falls as you open and close the knife. The back of the tang may be worn and have a thin slice of steel that is binding between the liner and spring. If that is the case the snap can be restored with the right work done on the knife. Don't think you did to bad at the $100 - $150 range JMO.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

Thanks everyone, upon further inspection I found where there was another crack on the same side so back it goes. This is very frustrating, this will be the 5th knife I've send back in the last couple of months and I'm tired of that. If you are selling a knife INSPECT IT!!!!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Don't blame you at all for returning it. Looking closely at the pictures you have it looks like there is also a crack on the mark side handle that travels up at 10 o'clock from the center pin and joins the the crack shown at the top. Hard to believe the seller missed the center pin patch and all the cracks.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

chorizotaco wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:48 pm Thanks everyone, upon further inspection I found where there was another crack on the same side so back it goes. This is very frustrating, this will be the 5th knife I've send back in the last couple of months and I'm tired of that. If you are selling a knife INSPECT IT!!!!
Yeah Dan, I know you don't have any knife shows nearby but that is why I prefer to buy at shows, fleas, or antique shows or shops. Nothing like holding a knife in your hand to inspect it before buying.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”