KA-BAR , fixed blade ,

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Lovun

KA-BAR , fixed blade ,

Post by Lovun »

I found a fixed blade knife , stamped on blade UNION CUTLERY CO. over OLEAN, NY . Opposite side ; KA-BAR over REG. US PAT , OFF . Has hollow aluminum handle ( u threaded at hole in butt ) blade is approx. 4 1/2 ins. Long . Very nice knife. Holds an amazing edge. Was in very poor shape when I found it. I started cleaning it up and was told I shouldn't take away the patina. But I continued to clean and polish it gently with no chemicals and it is a beautiful, still usable everyday knife that I carry in a sheath I had on hand. Makes for interesting conversation. It's an I catcher and I think it's enjoying the fact I didn't pack it away in a box but put it back into use ! I almost think the original person who owned it was very proud of this blade and it served him well.
I would love to learn more about this knife if possible. I've seen alot on different forums but none that match this one. Unfortunately I can't post a picture at this time. But any information that I can get to put me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I believe I have it down to 1920 's to early 40 's . Any idea of worth would be nice too. This thing has me really interested in starting to collect now ! Exspecially after she some of the other knives it seen here !
Gunsil

Re: KA-BAR , fixed blade ,

Post by Gunsil »

Sounds like you have a model 2000 from the 1930s. They had a removable butt cap with a small compass in it (on the inside). They are not worth much without the cap and compass especially if they have been rusted and cleaned and without original sheath. I have seen very nice complete all original ones sell for less than $150. Sounds like you have a good user but not a collectible. Photos would help since they came with two blade variations, one of which is a rarer version. They also made a matching hatchet with the same hollow handle and compass, the hatchet is fairly rare. The handle was meant to hold matches and there was a gasket between the pommel and the handle.
Lovun

Post by Lovun »

So I believe you are correct , on the model 2000. It's the 4 1/2 " upswept skinners knife . By the Tang stamps being KA-BAR reg. u.s. pat. office one side and UNION CUTLERY CO. , over OLEAN N.Y. on reverse. Sorry I can't post pictures.
Would it be possible to get a compass and sheath somewhere ? Possibly some has a beyond use, repair knife but these items were salvageable ?
Lovun

Post by Lovun »

@ Gunsil , wanted to thank you for your information. Can't figure out how to mention you in my post. Hope this finds you !!
eveled

Post by eveled »

I’m sure he’ll see it, this forum doesn’t let you mention someone with the @ before their name. Best way is to quote their post then they’ll get an alert. Gunsil is a wealth of knowledge and always helping out.
Lovun

Post by Lovun »

Thank you @ eveled, did get a photo too !
16147229807259089669910749088303.jpg
Lovun

Post by Lovun »

Figured out how to post photos. Sorry guys, new to this
Attachments
20210302_172443.jpg
20210302_172409.jpg
20210302_172238.jpg
20210302_172155.jpg
Lovun

Post by Lovun »

More photos of the same knife ,
Attachments
20210302_172443.jpg
20210302_172409.jpg
20210302_172238.jpg
20210302_172155.jpg
chorizotaco

Post by chorizotaco »

This is the earlier version...model 1000. The 1000 had the "diamond with two dots" in the aluminum handle according to my documentation.
Lovun

Post by Lovun »

So that being said . Would that date it pre- 30's ? And from my photos does it have much value . Or vou collectability ? Just to say not going up for sale or trade lol . I really like this knife. I'm going to pass it on . Just curious on info. Any more you can tell me about it. Or any references I could research myself ?
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Finding a butt cap with compass is a near impossibility. Years ago I was able to purchase four handles (never had blades in them) with butt caps but no compasses in them so at least I was able to have a couple butt caps I needed, and I have none for sale. Only way to get one is to get another knife as a donor. Funny, but in my old price lists caps and compasses are listed as available spare parts. Not to be a knife snob, but your example is in pretty poor condition, one can get pretty nice ones complete for $150 or so on the bay or at gun and knife shows, they are not really rare. Mint might be a bit more but they do show up sometimes. I hate to say it but the very poor condition of yours renders it of little collector value. The model was discontinued by 1941-42. There is no record of when they changed the pattern of the aluminum handle but yours may be late 20s-early 30s.They also made a much rarer hatchet with the same type of hollow aluminum handle. Case, Cattaraugus, and Kinfolks all had knives with similar handles and there are some marked Clauss. I am pretty sure the handles were made by Alumac Corporation in NJ and there are knives with the same handle but a different blade marked R-G Co, NJ. The forementioned brands do not have the same blade style but identical handles. If you take the compass out of the KA-BAR caps it says Alumac NJ cast into the aluminum.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Here is one in good condition so you can see how much metal your blade is missing and it is missing a lot. It also appears that your handle has been sawed off and shortened so there is no flare or widening where the butt cap screws in so even if you had a proper butt cap it would not fit properly.

E010D910-C107-4595-BE05-C16E83EAD3F8.jpeg

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”