ODD ONE/Double Stamp

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Ridgegrass

ODD ONE/Double Stamp

Post by Ridgegrass »

3-1/4" Easy open, roper/coper main blade, nail file second blade is double stamped. Seems an odd combination of blades. Can this be a redo? Nice tight piece, fits well, walks and talks.
What would you say, Gunsil? J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2220.jpg
IMG_2216.jpg
IMG_2217.jpg
IMG_2219.jpg
Gunsil

Re: ODD ONE/Double Stamp

Post by Gunsil »

It appears to be a WW1 "Navy knife" which has had the bail removed. The "rope" blade and the nail file were standard on these and they were made by several different companies. The double stamp is just a failure by the guy who stamped it. I think others here have some of these by different companies besides Union Cut, hopefully they will post a couple up. I never owned a Union one and have sold the two I had, one being a WR Case & Sons. Great grinds on your main blade.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

GUNSIL: Thanks. Glad it's legit.Guess they wanted those gobs to have clean nails. Was going to mention the remains of the bail. Was there a pattern number and do you think it's Navy issued? Agreed, the grind is nice" J.O'.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ridgegrass I think the nail file was out of necessity as your nails would take a beating tying and untying rope. And you couldn't work as well with sore fingers.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks DOGLEGG. I'm just glad it's real. Thought it might have been "diddled". ::tu:: J.O'.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Here are a couple of NYK examples of the Navy knives:
New York Knife Navy Knives.jpg
And a Schrade Cut Co, although I believe this would be considered a civilian version of the Navy pattern as it has a sheepsfoot blade rather than the standard rope blade as well as a cap and shield, plus no shackle.
Schrade Navy_225.JPG
Eric
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Love 'em. especially that big one ! ::tu:: Thanks J.O'.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Wow, Eric, wonderful old knives. ::nod:: ::nod::

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”