Need a...........

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
knife7knut

Need a...........

Post by knife7knut »

Pommel and pommel nut for a Kabar model 1237 fixed blade.Got it today and they were missing.Does anyone know if Kabar sells parts for knives? Going to post this in the wanted section as well but I figured it would get more exposure here.If you know where one is or have one please send me a PM
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Gunsil

Re: Need a...........

Post by Gunsil »

Ray, I don't think KA-BAR sells parts as they don't actually make any knives, they are basically a marketing firm. Their USMC and some other fixed blades are made by Cutco. I would be surprised if any Kabars with a model number on the blade had pommel nuts, I think the pommels were pinned on by that time. I could be mistaken since I never paid much attention to the knives made under Cole National or later. Can you show the knife in question? I think it would take a KA-BAR "triangular" pommel if it is of the numbered era. I may have a junker somewheres but if so it would be a mushroom pommel with a barrel nut.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Gunsil wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:12 am Ray, I don't think KA-BAR sells parts as they don't actually make any knives, they are basically a marketing firm. Their USMC and some other fixed blades are made by Cutco. I would be surprised if any Kabars with a model number on the blade had pommel nuts, I think the pommels were pinned on by that time. I could be mistaken since I never paid much attention to the knives made under Cole National or later. Can you show the knife in question? I think it would take a KA-BAR "triangular" pommel if it is of the numbered era. I may have a junker somewheres but if so it would be a mushroom pommel with a barrel nut.
Thanks for the prompt reply Gene! Here is a pic of the knife and the end.It is a split tang similar to the Western knives.I only paid $5 for it and the blade is very full.
Attachments
Kabar1237$5 002.jpg
Kabar1237$5 003.jpg
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

That looks like a solid tang knife with the split on the end for a poured lead plug in the pommel. It also looks like it is a bit short but you could probably pour lead in and it would still work. Sorry, I don't have any junkers or parts for those later knives. I guess you'll have to find another Kabar with a poured lead affixed pommel as a donor. Might not be too hard to find one with a broken or ground out blade with a decent pommel. Kabar does sell leather rings and replacement pommels for their re-issue USMC knives, but I have never heard of them selling any parts for other knives and I doubt they would have parts for older knives, you could ask, only takes a phone call. Case will repair their knives back to a certain point but does not sell parts. Hard to pass up a knife for five bucks!! Maybe pull the handle and drill and hog out a piece of antler and just put an end cap on it??
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

What I might do is take a nut and notch it to fit in between the tang ends and make a pommel out of Lexan and affix it with a screw.Not too concerned with what it looks like but rather just making it functional again. The tang does look short but it doesn't look like it has been monkeyed with. Thanks for the input Gene.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

knife7knut wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:49 am What I might do is take a nut and notch it to fit in between the tang ends and make a pommel out of Lexan and affix it with a screw.Not too concerned with what it looks like but rather just making it functional again. The tang does look short but it doesn't look like it has been monkeyed with. Thanks for the input Gene.
EDIT: Decided to give a go at repairing the knife.Took a small carriage bolt(10-24 or 12-24 I forget which)and ground the head down to fit between the split tang end and JB welded it in place.When that was set I took a barrel nut of the same thread and fitted it to the bolt.Made the pommel out of a piece of hard wood I had laying around the shop.Drilled it to fit the barrel nut and used a larger drill to countersink both ends.One end provides clearance over the portion of the tang that sticks out and the other puts the head of the barrel nut inside to be covered over later.I think I might get a small domed plug that snaps into a hole for the finish. Here is what it looked like just before I applied the stain to it.I also shortened it a bit.
Attachments
Kabar1237PommelRepair 001.jpg
Kabar1237PommelRepair 002.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Almost done;just need a small cap to finish the job.
Attachments
Kabar1237Repair 001.jpg
Kabar1237Repair 002.jpg
Kabar1237Repair 003.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That’s a fantastic job! I have a little b/t knife with a missing pommel and that would be a great fix fir it. ::tu::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice save, Ray. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”