KA-BAR tang stamp change to Kabar.

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

KA-BAR tang stamp change to Kabar.

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

My understanding is there was a tang stamp change in 1951 (maybe 53') on KA-BAR pocket knives. The KA-BAR tang stamp changed to Kabar. Does that sound correct? I was trying to date my 'Ol KA-BAR Trapper. You guys are the experts (seriously, you guys have a huge wealth of knowledge ::tu:: )...I just have a bunch of 'ol pocket knives in a shoe box... ::paranoid::
Attachments
DSCF9676.JPG
DSCF9678.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
zzyzzogeton

Re: KA-BAR tang stamp change to Kabar.

Post by zzyzzogeton »

IIRC, the change from Union Cutlery to Kabar Cutlery (or just Kabar) occured in 1952. At that time the company stamp changed to the Ka-bar stamp. Prior to that, KA-BAR was a line of Union Cutlery.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

KA-BAR had several tang stamp changes. Your folding hunter with the KA-BAR over USA mark indicates it was made between about 1947-48 to 1951 or early 1952 since I'm sure the change to Kabar tang stamp didn't happen exactly when the company changed it's name, they surely had already marked lades they needed to use up.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Gunsil wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:20 pm KA-BAR had several tang stamp changes. Your folding hunter with the KA-BAR over USA mark indicates it was made between about 1947-48 to 1951 or early 1952 since I'm sure the change to Kabar tang stamp didn't happen exactly when the company changed it's name, they surely had already marked lades they needed to use up.
Thanks! I am always amazed at the hard use some of these old knives get and keep on being usable ::nod:: this one still has great walk & talk and locks up tight... after so may years of service :)
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”