KA-BAR rarity

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Gunsil

KA-BAR rarity

Post by Gunsil »

Hi folks, I saw this knife at the Shenandoah show but waffled and didn't buy it and it got sold to a friend. Last week my friend offered it to me for the same price, nice to have such a good friend. It is the really rare "medium" Grizzly, rarer than the big Grizz or the "baby" Grizz. Works as it should, pretty full blade with lots of original finish under the blade patina. Did my happy dance when the postman came! Sorry the photos are so dark, not much sunlight here today.
E4B669D5-249B-41CC-AB05-D3CD30771D9F.jpeg
04092720-D6E2-4C5D-818A-47F4BA441530.jpeg
BD2B4FE3-8F1A-4877-A1AC-98981C563E1C.jpeg
CB2087E9-8E18-4077-A0AD-492DD802DF3B.jpeg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: KA-BAR rarity

Post by btrwtr »

Gene it looks like you picked up a really nice knife. Love the overall look of it!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Beautiful knife! ::tu::
What is the mark on the bolster on the pile side?
Tim
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Rarity aside, it is a real beauty, Gene. Good job! ::tu::
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

Congrats Gene, that's a special one
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Thanks for the compliments guys! Beaver, these have a cross hatch on the back bolster to let you know where to hold your finger when pushing the button with your thumb. If you have never fired one of these it is a pain in the backside unless you hold it just right and even then it is somewhat awkward. The big steel bar on the back of the knife is the spring for the button release which is also the open lock and if you grip it normally you put pressure on the spring and your thumb on the button fights your finger on the back. The cross hatch is a little pocket worn, but the bade has little use.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Here's a photo of the spine of the knife showing the release mechanism. You can see how if your fingers are in the normal position on the back of the knife that you can't depress the button since your thumb is fighting against your fingers unless you are holding the cross hatched part of the back front bolster. Unique design but does take getting used to open or close. The steel in the center is the kick spring as the photo is with the blade closed.

B159031D-938C-4386-8EE8-931944AFA2D3.jpeg
johnburrell

Post by johnburrell »

Very nice indeed!!!!!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Thanks John! here are two more photos, one with the blade open so you can see the kick spring is now in the well and the other photo is with the blade partially closed so you can see the button/spring bar and how if you hold the knife normally with fingers on the spring bar it won't release.

F92C17F1-279C-415B-9FC0-88507AF88944.jpeg
D23E4D4F-7815-4B5D-85BB-38B5D38E104C.jpeg
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Gunsil wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:57 pm Thanks for the compliments guys! Beaver, these have a cross hatch on the back bolster to let you know where to hold your finger when pushing the button with your thumb. If you have never fired one of these it is a pain in the backside unless you hold it just right and even then it is somewhat awkward. The big steel bar on the back of the knife is the spring for the button release which is also the open lock and if you grip it normally you put pressure on the spring and your thumb on the button fights your finger on the back. The cross hatch is a little pocket worn, but the bade has little use.
Thanks for the explanation Gene. ::handshake::
That's a very unique design and once again a Very beautiful knife! ::tu::
Tim
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very nice, Gene. ::tu:: I think it was offered for sale by the same guy I bought the Ulster dogleg from as I think I remember him talking about selling one. He also had a Schrade switch with some blade wobble but not much blade loss at a price I thought was reasonable.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yes John, my friend from MA who was right next to me on my left brought it to the show and sold it to another friend next to him on the left. I got it from the second guy to my left after a couple phone conversations. God willin' and the river don't rise all three of us will be there in April, they both have done that show for a number of years. Hopefully we will all meet again there.

Tim, you're quite welcome, I hope the photos helped you understand the mechanism.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Great looking KABAR Gene and a cool old mechanism. ::tu::
steve99f
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Relatively recently, Schatt & Morgan released their Express line of autos, they basically function the same as these old Ka-Bars. An AAPK member happens to have a selection of the S&M Express knives, for anyone interested.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I have seen those and they are junk in my opinion. A dealer friend of mine in PA ordered ten when they first came out, he sent eight back because the quality control was so poor. I guess some turned out OK but a lot of them had various problems.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:24 pm I have seen those and they are junk in my opinion. A dealer friend of mine in PA ordered ten when they first came out, he sent eight back because the quality control was so poor. I guess some turned out OK but a lot of them had various problems.

Good to know, Gene. The S&M repros aren't cheap.

DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Awesome score! ::tu::
David
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Good score Gene.A dealer setup next to me at the Blade show bought a baby Grizz this year. ::tu::
Roger
Byamb1

Post by Byamb1 »

Gunsil,

My understanding was that the attached was the rarest KaBar switch. Thoughts ????
Attachments
IMG_1140.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That one is really cool too. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Both are outstanding ! i tried for years to complete that yellow celluloid group but never could, thanks for sharing those Gents. ::tu::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Byamb1 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:22 pm Gunsil,

My understanding was that the attached was the rarest KaBar switch. Thoughts ????
The pictured knife may be the a very rare KA-BAR switch but it is not the rarest KA-BAR switch. That honor goes to a Korn's patent switch made by KA-BAR and there is another switch made by Union Cut marked Keenwel Mfg that is rarer. I'd love to have the pictured one though!!
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Gunsil wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:45 pm
Byamb1 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:22 pm Gunsil,

The pictured knife may be the a very rare KA-BAR switch but it is not the rarest KA-BAR switch. That honor goes to a Korn's patent switch made by KA-BAR and there is another switch made by Union Cut marked Keenwel Mfg that is rarer. I'd love to have the pictured one though!!
Do you have a picture of that Korn’s made for Kabar? The Keenwell I’ve seen.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I'll try to dig out some photos, a friend owns it. It was not made for KA-BAR, it was made by KA-BAR. The knife has been closely measured and it is not the same dimensions as the other Korns switches. It also has stag handles that match other KA-BAR knives.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

UnionKorn 001.jpg
UnionKorn 002.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_1590.JPG
FullSizeRenderS.jpg
Here are a few photos of the KA-BAR Korns. Sweeeet knife!!

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”