Ka-bar 2750 boot knife question

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Ka-bar 2750 boot knife question

Post by Gone2Three »

Howdy y'all, hope everyone here is staying cool and doing alright with all that is going on in our world.
Couple of questions about a Seki Japan made Kabar boot knife that I've acquired stamped 2750.
First, is the handle material, this ivory colored plastic or?? ...what exactly does the manufacturer call it?
Second, has some discoloration yellowing going on. Is this just the nature of the material with age or is there something that I can do to remove it without damaging it or degrade its value.
Any help or advice would be appreciated, once again I thank you all for the help.
Randy
Attachments
s-l400 (5).jpg
s-l400 (5).jpg (12.7 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Froe

Re: Ka-bar 2750 boot knife question

Post by Froe »

Those are really nice knives. Sold as 'Khyber'.
Personally, I would not try to over clean the handle. Maybe a little light hand polishing with Simichrome or similar to smooth any handling marks or scratches and then stop. I would not try to polish away the darker coloring. Definitely no power buffing. I think it's an acceptable 'patina' that gives it a rich look anyway.
I really like that style of boot knife. You have a good one.
Froe
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Thank you Froe, appreciate your complements and advice ::handshake::
Here it is, didn't need much to clean up. Don't look like it's ever been used, so other than the yellowing it is almost like new.
Attachments
20210813_211923.jpg
20210813_211851.jpg
20210813_211844.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Froe wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:09 am Those are really nice knives. Sold as 'Khyber'.
Personally, I would not try to over clean the handle. Maybe a little light hand polishing with Simichrome or similar to smooth any handling marks or scratches and then stop. I would not try to polish away the darker coloring. Definitely no power buffing. I think it's an acceptable 'patina' that gives it a rich look anyway.
I really like that style of boot knife. You have a good one.
Froe
Khyber was a separate line of Kabar brand knives. The Khybers were the same Kabar knives, just with Khyber instead of Kabar stamp. The 2750/2751/2752 boot knives were made between 1981 and 1987.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”