A thistle pommel Olcut

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A thistle pommel Olcut

Post by Miller Bro's »

steve99f wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:47 pm Here you go MB. Mine is marked Union Cutlery only rather than KABAR or Olcut so presumably 1923 or earlier. The sheath is not factory. Gene advises that this is a Model 172, the numeral 1 designating wood and synthetic in this case.
Thanks for showing it Steve, its in really nice condition ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Gunsil wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:58 pm Dimitri, I don't know, have never seen a mint compass butt 172. I would think perhaps it did, but we know what conjecture is worth. I also have one like Steve's with the KAMPER etch and sheath marked Union Cut Co, one with the etch and sheath marked Olcut, and one marked Folsom, a NYC retailer but don't remember if the Folsom has the etch. I am away so I can't look at them. I may have a KA-BAR marked one too, I have a bunch of thistle tops.
Thanks Gino, when you get back maybe you can post a few pictures of them.

I really like these thistle top knives, I have several Russell made.
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Jacknifeben wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:19 pm Nice little 6 by 3 folder.
Nice piece of ephemera! 8)
AAPK Janitor
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Miller Bro's wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:49 pm
Gunsil wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:58 pm Dimitri, I don't know, have never seen a mint compass butt 172. I would think perhaps it did, but we know what conjecture is worth. I also have one like Steve's with the KAMPER etch and sheath marked Union Cut Co, one with the etch and sheath marked Olcut, and one marked Folsom, a NYC retailer but don't remember if the Folsom has the etch. I am away so I can't look at them. I may have a KA-BAR marked one too, I have a bunch of thistle tops.
Thanks Gino, when you get back maybe you can post a few pictures of them.

I really like these thistle top knives, I have several Russell made.
I like 'em too Dimitri, besides the Union Cut ones I have (I think six or seven, three different models), I have several Russells including one A&F marked one and have Joseph Allen and Joseph Rodgers and I think one other Brit one.
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

That pamphlet is a beaut

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”