Looking for input

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Amanda93477

Looking for input

Post by Amanda93477 »

This was my step dads.
Can anyone tell me anything about it?
I think it’s really old
Attachments
C4B2CFDF-591C-4EE5-946D-2BE71FAE5CC7.jpeg
494BEEC2-AC93-4248-A140-E8B6C6BB874E.jpeg
B73F535B-612F-4BBB-9864-F31D381E13FD.jpeg
7D2DD1AE-B604-4717-8F54-32397F926E24.jpeg
Gunsil

Re: Looking for input

Post by Gunsil »

That is a lovely very early (circa 1923-24) KA-BAR equal end jack knife with a spear point main blade and genuine stag handles. If big like four inches it would be considered a "cigar jack". It does look like it sat near some corrosive substance at one time due to the more severe rust along the top of the main blade. This can also happen when knives are stored together with a celluloid handled knife that is decomposing. If you found that knife with others and there is a celluloid one get the celluloid one away from the others. The reason we know your knife is an early one is that the KA-BAR name wasn't registered or used until 1923 and you knife still has the Union shield and a KA-BAR marked main blade. They likely used up the handles in stock when they began the KA-BAR name and switched to KA-BAR shields when those were exhausted. Union Cutlery Co made the same knife before they adopted the KA-BAR brand name so your knife is a kind of "transitional" knife.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's a sweet HOK (honest old knife)! Thanks for posting and ::welcome:: to AAPK.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Amanda93477 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:03 pm This was my step dads.
Can anyone tell me anything about it?
I think it’s really old
That's a beautiful old KA-BAR Amanda, ::tu:: congratulations! I don't know anything about your knife, ::shrug:: but if you're patient others will be along who can help answer your questions. And BTW, ::welcome:: to the AAPK forum! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Amanda93477

Post by Amanda93477 »

Gunsil wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:54 pm That is a lovely very early (circa 1923-24) KA-BAR equal end jack knife with a spear point main blade and genuine stag handles. If big like four inches it would be considered a "cigar jack". It does look like it sat near some corrosive substance at one time due to the more severe rust along the top of the main blade. This can also happen when knives are stored together with a celluloid handled knife that is decomposing. If you found that knife with others and there is a celluloid one get the celluloid one away from the others. The reason we know your knife is an early one is that the KA-BAR name wasn't registered or used until 1923 and you knife still has the Union shield and a KA-BAR marked main blade. They likely used up the handles in stock when they began the KA-BAR name and switched to KA-BAR shields when those were exhausted. Union Cutlery Co made the same knife before they adopted the KA-BAR brand name so your knife is a kind of "transitional" knife.
Thank you so much! That makes perfect sense and explains why I couldn’t find one online anywhere!
If you would be as so kind to lend me a bit more of your time, I do have a couple questions regarding value.

What does a knife like this generally go for, considering the condition? And would the double branding increase the value or would it make the knife less desirable?

I really appreciate your help!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Gunsil wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:54 pm That is a lovely very early (circa 1923-24) KA-BAR equal end jack knife with a spear point main blade and genuine stag handles. If big like four inches it would be considered a "cigar jack". It does look like it sat near some corrosive substance at one time due to the more severe rust along the top of the main blade. This can also happen when knives are stored together with a celluloid handled knife that is decomposing. If you found that knife with others and there is a celluloid one get the celluloid one away from the others. The reason we know your knife is an early one is that the KA-BAR name wasn't registered or used until 1923 and you knife still has the Union shield and a KA-BAR marked main blade. They likely used up the handles in stock when they began the KA-BAR name and switched to KA-BAR shields when those were exhausted. Union Cutlery Co made the same knife before they adopted the KA-BAR brand name so your knife is a kind of "transitional" knife.
The font of knowledge! :shock: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Thanks Cal! Amanda, how long is the knife with the blades closed? This is important on pocket knives. Since it shows rust the blades may be a little slow or stiff, a little light oil where the blades rotate would be good for it since a good "snap" from the blades opening and closing is also important to collectors. Somebody here has sent you a message, maybe even an offer. Were the knife mint I would expect somebody getting $600+ in the right market. Your nice knife is a long way from that in condition and value. An auction setting with the right crowd would set the present value. The Union shield and KA-BAR blade indicating an early KA-BAR makes the knife more desirable in some circles. I wouldn't try to clean it up or make it shiny, some people like them like that but many prefer "as found" condition, those who want to shine it could do it themselves. Were it close to mint condition I'd be drooling, but it is still a fine knife and I am only panting. Please tell us if the blades snap well in both directions and the closed length in inches. Also is there "wobble" if you try to wiggle the blades sideways when open? It looks more neglected than used or abused which is a good thing.
charlesf20

Post by charlesf20 »

Nice knife.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

And now Amanda has it listed on ebay for $375. Used my description in her ad too. I think I may be done helping new members with ID info.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

90% of those 'new members' are just out for a buck. They have no love for knives.
Amanda93477

Post by Amanda93477 »

Gunsil wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:35 pm And now Amanda has it listed on ebay for $375. Used my description in her ad too. I think I may be done helping new members with ID info.
I’m sorry I used your description, and you are right. I posted it to eBay. The reason being this was my step fathers knife who passed away suddenly in 2014. With my mom passing away in March of this year I was left with my family home and no way to pay for it. I’m 2 months behind on my mortgage and the company is threatening to foreclose on my house because I owe them $750.00. Without reliable transportation, finding work in rural America is really hard. I also have my parents two very elderly dogs to care for. So I’m sorry if I misled you in any way, and I used your description because it was so well written. I don’t want to mislead who ever purchases this knife. I’m sure my dad would rather me try to keep our family home verses keeping this knife. Please accept my apology, I would hate to be the reason you no longer help new members. You were a wealth of knowledge and incredibly helpful to me in this very difficult time. I’m sorry again. I’ll revise my eBay listing.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

No apology needed. You shouldn't revise the listing because you used my description. I was just surprised to see verbatim parts used. It doesn't bother me one bit that you wish to sell it, I have often sold things I had to make ends meet when necessary. I am sorry to hear you are having a rough rut in the road, hopefully things will improve for you.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Gunsil wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:35 pm And now Amanda has it listed on ebay for $375. Used my description in her ad too. I think I may be done helping new members with ID info.

You should feel good about helping someone out. ::facepalm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Amanda93477 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:55 pm
I’m sorry I used your description, and you are right. I posted it to eBay. The reason being this was my step fathers knife who passed away suddenly in 2014. With my mom passing away in March of this year I was left with my family home and no way to pay for it. I’m 2 months behind on my mortgage and the company is threatening to foreclose on my house because I owe them $750.00. Without reliable transportation, finding work in rural America is really hard. I also have my parents two very elderly dogs to care for. So I’m sorry if I misled you in any way, and I used your description because it was so well written. I don’t want to mislead who ever purchases this knife. I’m sure my dad would rather me try to keep our family home verses keeping this knife. Please accept my apology, I would hate to be the reason you no longer help new members. You were a wealth of knowledge and incredibly helpful to me in this very difficult time. I’m sorry again. I’ll revise my eBay listing.
A very heart-felt apology Amanda, and I'm sure you meant no harm. Sorry you're having a tough time, just try to remember, "This too shall pass"! 8)
8)
charlesf20

Post by charlesf20 »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:43 pm You shouldn't revise the listing because you used my description. I was just surprised to see verbatim parts used. It doesn't bother me one bit that you wish to sell it, I have often sold things I had to make ends meet when necessary.
You the man. ::tu::
charlesf20

Post by charlesf20 »

Amanda93477 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:55 pm I’m sorry I used your description, and you are right. I posted it to eBay. So I’m sorry if I misled you in any way, and I used your description because it was so well written. I don’t want to mislead who ever purchases this knife. Please accept my apology, I would hate to be the reason you no longer help new members. You were a wealth of knowledge and incredibly helpful to me in this very difficult time. I’m sorry again. I’ll revise my eBay listing.
Brave explanation. Good luck with your sale and moving forward.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”