Help with this knife

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
3105ns

Help with this knife

Post by 3105ns »

Help please! I have had this knife for quite a few years, however just discovered that it is a KA-BAR. I have been looking for a match online, and have not found one. The blades are 5". I would also like to know how I can clean the bone and the blades themselves. Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_1077.jpeg
IMG_1076.jpeg
IMG_1075.jpeg
IMG_1074.jpeg
IMG_1073.jpeg
IMG_1072.jpeg
Gunsil

Re: Help with this knife

Post by Gunsil »

The handles are stag horn, not bone and sadly, there is no way to improve their appearance. They are well worn and appear to have water damage, there is no way to reverse this or improve it. How you could own it for years and not know it was a KA-BAR is beyond me since it is well marked on the blade and dog head. The bail is not original to the knife. These were/are fantastic knives but many got used and abused like yours and yous is mid 1920s-late 1930s.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Great old knife. I would clean it a little. sharpen and oil it up and enjoy it just as it is.
3105ns

Post by 3105ns »

sorry- I did not hit the respond button
3105ns

Post by 3105ns »

Gunsil wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:59 am The handles are stag horn, not bone and sadly, there is no way to improve their appearance. They are well worn and appear to have water damage, there is no way to reverse this or improve it. How you could own it for years and not know it was a KA-BAR is beyond me since it is well marked on the blade and dog head. The bail is not original to the knife. These were/are fantastic knives but many got used and abused like yours and yous is mid 1920s-late 1930s.

Thank you sir. I am not a knife person, and had not paid much attention. It was from dads best friend, I kept it when he passed away, not because of the dog marking, but because it seemed to be an interesting looking knife. I kept it in a drawer without really looking at it. I needed to use it last night and finally saw the Union Cut Co and decided to start researching. Should I take the bail off?
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's a very nice knife you have there, 3105ns.
If you can make use of the bail maybe you might want to keep it. It doesn't hinder the knife. No harm, no foul.
Those are very sturdy hunting/working knives.
If you can get it sharp it will serve you well should you decide to use it. ::tu:: ::tu::
Welcome to the forum; if you have a continued interest in knives you can pick up a lot of information here. ::nod::
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Very nice old knife, looks like it has a lot of useful life left. Sharpen it, put a drop of oil in the blade joints, it will thank you with many years of good service. If you don’t know how to sharpen it I don’t recommend trying it yourself. Pay someone who sharpens knives professionally to do it - the few bucks it costs will be well spent. Some info about cleaning knives can be found here viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”