Transition Hunter?

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Whitneyrifle

Transition Hunter?

Post by Whitneyrifle »

I got this Ka-bar off the ‘Bay, the main reason I purchased it, I am intrigued by the tang marks. It appears the main blade has the 50’s -60’s italicized Kabar logo, but the filet blade has the mid-40’s tang stamp. I am most likely wrong, but it looks like the piece may be at a “transitional “ phase? Meaning old and new stock was used in the assembly, or is it one blade was replaced/repaired? I’m not worried about it, as it will be an EDC, but any thoughts or ideas?
Attachments
FCD0C5EF-7AC8-4E4B-96B7-DB1EC531B7BC.jpeg
2A2BC60D-C6B5-48E4-A598-E5A23A783C89.jpeg
2789EC6D-35B4-4FC9-8B99-0C9E1CB46738.jpeg
You have to be trusted by the people that lie to you. So that when they turn their backs on you, You'll get the chance to put the knife in….
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Transition Hunter?

Post by knifeaholic »

That is also unusual in that on Kabar knives of that pattern from that era, the skinner blade never has any tang stamp (usually).
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I'm wondering of one of the blades was replaced at some point. The bolster pin looks a little wonky.

Eric
eveled

Post by eveled »

2 blade hunters are such a great pattern. I think it will be a fine edc. I like the AstenFelts shield.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The KA-BAR over USA mark is about 1947 or 48-early 1952, the Kabar is 1952-1968 but the rough black scales are late forties-late 50s. I suppose it is possible for the blades to be "transitional" although it is not commonly seen on KA-BAR products. Naturally it is also possible that a blade was replaced. My simple opinion is that I would not have bought it although that means little.
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

Gunsil wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:40 pm The KA-BAR over USA mark is about 1947 or 48-early 1952, the Kabar is 1952-1968 but the rough black scales are late forties-late 50s. I suppose it is possible for the blades to be "transitional" although it is not commonly seen on KA-BAR products. Naturally it is also possible that a blade was replaced. My simple opinion is that I would not have bought it although that means little.
[/quote

You are wrong,Sir! Your opinion actually means a lot to me! You have years of experience with Union Cut Co and Ka-bar, that knowledge is greatly appreciated and respected.
Part of the reason for my purchase is due to the odd stampings, wether is a “transitional” piece, or a repair, or just a mistake. I am still very new to the hobby, but have dedicated my collecting to Union/Kabar. So, to me, with a small collection, this is a prime example of a, shall we call it, a “hiccup”?
It is not the prime center piece of any collection by far, but a neat conversation starter and as nice EDC to me. From the information that you provided, I would garner a guess (if not having blades replaced) that the knife was produced about 1951/1952. It seems plausible that all the materials present could have been in supply for production of the knife.
Again, thank you for all that you do!

Bryan
You have to be trusted by the people that lie to you. So that when they turn their backs on you, You'll get the chance to put the knife in….

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”