Date and/or materials on this folding hunter?

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Knivolf

Date and/or materials on this folding hunter?

Post by Knivolf »

Hello Everyone, and thanks in advance for any help or info that you may be able to impart.
I use, admire, and collect knives; but will admit to being quite new to KA-BAR.
This large (5.25" closed) folding hunter is not fancy or expensive, but it sure is solidly built, and I quite like it.
I have done some preliminary reading and research, but have not seen a date associated with this specific tang stamp on any of the charts I have come across. That single stamp is the only marking on the entire knife.
Does anyone know what year this was made?
The covers are some sort of jigged black composite. Is this gum-fuddy / rough-black like on some of my older Case knives? Or is this celluloid?
I have experimented with fine steel wool to see if it gives off any characteristic odor. It does produce an odor, but doesn't seem quite as intense or exactly like what I have read celluloid should smell like. I am more of a stag/bone enthusiast, and am very familiar with micarta etc; but have very little hands-on experience with these earlier composites.
Thanks again, I appreciate your time and expertise.
Best Regards,
Michael
Attachments
0-5.jpg
0-6.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Date and/or materials on this folding hunter?

Post by Madmarco »

It's good to see you posting, Michael! ::tu::
I can't help answer your questions, but there are many more knowledgeable Kabar enthusiasts on the forum who will eventually see your post and likely provide you with some answers, so be patient. ::pace:: !
It's a beautiful big ole' hunter though! 8)
8)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Not celluloid, and not “rough black” (aka “gum-Fuddy”) like Case used, which to me seems more like a hard rubber material. Yours looks like the same jigged black “composition” that Camillus used - you’ll see it also on patterns like the 640045 that Camillus made on contract for Case (stamped Case). I don’t know the chemical composition but it can shrink some.

Sorry I can’t help with its date but one of the KA-BAR experts may know.

Ken

Edit: looks like 1923-1951. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39799&p=386845&hilit=KA+BAR#p386845
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The KA-BAR over Olean, NY mark began in 1942 or 43. Your knife has nickel bolsters so it is post war and the mark changed to KA-BAR over USA around 1948. So I believe your knife was made 1946-48. Maybe late 1945-1948.
Knivolf

Post by Knivolf »

Thank you all for the kind words, info, and help.
A little older than I was expecting, very interesting.
It is great to know it is not black/opaque celluloid, that was a concern/puzzle that I was having a hard time solving.
Was this discerned from a general knowledge of what firm used what material on what pattern at what time, etc?
I would like to become more adept at differentiating between these older composites.
The knife is built like a tank, and I am genuinely impressed with its quality of construction. With such strong and appropriate spring tension, it basically feels like I am holding a fixed blade. Although large, it is a very smartly designed and efficiently trimmed out knife. I love that it has different stock thicknesses on each blade. Not only is it appropriate for each specific blade type, but it also saves on overall thickness for carry. That secondary/boning style blade rides so low in the blade well that it virtually disappears; it is still accessible, but in no way impedes ergonomics when utilizing the main/clip blade. I would love to find one of these with bone or stag covers someday.
I am rambling too much here, sorry ...
After all these years, I finally have a copy of Goin's coming in the mail, and have been trying to track down a suitable copy of Levine's Guide.
In the meantime, THANKS again, it is an honor and a pleasure to receive the kindness, knowledge, and wisdom of the fine folks of this forum.
Michael
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My comments come from over 50 years of looking at and studying pocket knives of various brands, mostly U.S. made and mostly pre-1980. I’m by no means an authority on any of them. :lol: Goins’ and Levine’s are good, but if you really want to learn there is no substitute for looking at volumes of pocket knives in-hand at knife shows and elsewhere.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Knivolf

Post by Knivolf »

Thanks, Ken, I appreciate you! ::tu::
Just sent you a quick private message about a similar topic.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Just a note about Goins', he mistakes dates on Union Cut Co marks as does Levine and even the old KA-BAR Collector Club tang stamp sheet. Lots of info has come to light since those fine books were written.

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”