Couldn't leave it alone!!

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
Alien883

Couldn't leave it alone!!

Post by Alien883 »

Run into a pretty ruff looking KaBar lockblade Folding hunter...all scratched up, broken wood scales and rusty stained blade...just couldn't leave it alone...lol
Attachments
20220728_145941.jpg
20220728_150017.jpg
20220728_150003.jpg
20220728_150032.jpg
20220728_150105.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Couldn't leave it alone!!

Post by Colonel26 »

Not exactly my cup of tea, but you sure do have a one if a kind Kabar!

I can’t imagine the mess I’d make trying to file decorations on a knife.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

If you just have to mess with a knife, that is certainly the way to do it!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

American stag stinks for knife handles, it is too porous. Sambar stag costs a little but gives much better results. I don't like it when scales rise above the bolsters, knives always look better with the scales level with the bolsters in my mind. A little harder to do but sooo much better looking.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'm with Gene, I like my covers to run flush with the bolsters when completed.
It seems you've been holding out on us Alien, you have some mad knife building skills, sir!
8)
8)
eveled

Post by eveled »

Yep. It would have been better to thin the slabs from the back, to avoid exposing the pith at the bolsters. Exposing the pith when hafting is a cardinal sin.

Impressive file skills.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks awesome and should be able to get a good grip on it. Would liked to have seen a "before" picture if you have one. Nice job! ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Gunsil wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:26 pm American stag stinks for knife handles, it is too porous. Sambar stag costs a little but gives much better results. I don't like it when scales rise above the bolsters, knives always look better with the scales level with the bolsters in my mind. A little harder to do but sooo much better looking.
Well, lol...since I made that one for myself and really like it...no harm is done to anybody...the scales have been stabilized with resin before attaching...so no problem here...and by the way it's a bit harder to fit and finish raised-above-bolsters scales..
Flush ones you just use a beltsander and run everything flush...no skills needed!
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:23 pm Looks awesome and should be able to get a good grip on it. Would liked to have seen a "before" picture if you have one. Nice job! ::nod::
Thank you much...need to attach before pics...
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:11 am I'm with Gene, I like my covers to run flush with the bolsters when completed.
It seems you've been holding out on us Alien, you have some mad knife building skills, sir!
8)
Thank you sir, I just play a bit here and there and enjoy the knives I create, as you see here some folks like 'em some don't...always try to do differents things and see how they come out...it really handles well since the scales are kind of fat! Lol...
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Great job alien, different strokes for different folks! Design em how you like em!
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Alien883 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:47 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:11 am I'm with Gene, I like my covers to run flush with the bolsters when completed.
8)
Thank you sir, I just play a bit here and there and enjoy the knives I create, as you see here some folks like 'em some don't...always try to do differents things and see how they come out...it really handles well since the scales are kind of fat! Lol...
Oh, I get it bud! ::idea::
A knife just doesn't feel substantial in my hand unless it's big n' fat and fills my hand, I just prefer not feeling the edge of the bolster when I shift it around.
To each his own, I guess!
8)
8)
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Correcto!!! :wink:
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Alien883 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:26 pm Correcto!!! :wink:
"...mundo...'!
8)
8)
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Oledadsknives wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:53 pm Great job alien, different strokes for different folks! Design em how you like em!
thank you much, sir!!!!

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”